Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 9:43:03 AM EDT
Okay so I took out my pellet gun and opened my sliding glass door and started to shoot at them. After a few shots my neighbor asks me what I was doing shooting birds ( old lady) she didnt see me because I was inside my house but the pellet gun shoots 850fps so I guess its pretty loud.
I slowly closed my sliding glass door and went inside with out answering her.
What the F@#$ business is it of hers but I didnt know what to say. What should I say the next time I see her?

(please forgive spelling errors )

I am not talking afew birds I am talking a whole flock lately since another neighbor has put up a few bird feeders.
They have destroyed my yard and there is POOP everywhere !
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't take that so lightly, depending on where you live & what you're shooting at. These days, damn near EVERYTHING you don't commonly hunt is FEDERALLY PROTECTED (including fucking seagulls and water moccassins) and all it takes is an asshole nosy neighbor to drop the dime and make your life miserable. Also, if BB/pelletshooting is illegal in your city limits, you're breaking the law which is a neighbor's business. I don't know if there's anything a stray pellet could damage beyond your yard, or not, but if you are going to be a "birderer" you're better off poisoning.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
tell her to stay in her own yard, or you'll call the cops and have them come out and shoot her little dog.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
try using a garden hose with a smoothbore nozzle
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]
37mm Bird Bombs!!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a cat or three.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I fail to understand why people have to kill every piece of wildlife they see, be it birds, snakes, you name it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
See if you can prosecute her for "Hunter Harassment."

You'd better check your local laws. Many localities are self proclaimed bird sanctuaries and it's illegal to shoot 'em. Get a cat to take care of the birds and a Rott to take care of the cat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Draw down on her!!!

When I lived in town I had blackbirds by the thousands converge on my backyard everyday. Needless to say my RWS Model 48 stayed very busy. The blackbirds don't come to my yard anymore since I moved a few miles out of town. Every now and then a couple will stop by, but it's nothing like in town.  I miss those days of sniping at them. I have crows to plink at now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
In Before The Ethics Committee.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I know of fun toys called "bird bangers" that shoot a really loud firecracker a good distance.  If nothing else, you may get to scare the lady.  Just a temporay solution, but birds reproduce faster than you can eradicate them with a BB gun anyway.  I am definitely guilty of shooting a good number of sparrows that try and take up residence in our martin house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#12]
.22 rifle with colibri is really quiet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
i only shoot sparrows & starlings

and a squirell or rabbit if i want to eat it
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In Before The Ethics Committee.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#15]

If you live in the city limits, most are designated as Bird Sanctuaries.  If that is the case in your town, you would be breaking the law by shooting them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's what you do: be nice to the birds. We saved a few sparrows when they fell out of their nest and let them go after they grew up. They would always fly back and check up on us and the poop level dropped SIGNIFICANTLY on our lawn and cars.

We just saved a robin that fell out, and he always pretty much hangs out right outside the house (he's grown up). The poop level flat out stopped. They used to play poopie bomber on my car (literally do a NoE low level approach, splatter, and go) until they saw us save one of their babies.

I guess they communicate with the other bird species or at least keep them away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's what you do: be nice to the birds. We saved a few sparrows when they fell out of their nest and let them go after they grew up. They would always fly back and check up on us and the poop level dropped SIGNIFICANTLY on our lawn and cars.

We just saved a robin that fell out, and he always pretty much hangs out right outside the house (he's grown up). The poop level flat out stopped. They used to play poopie bomber on my car (literally do a NoE low level approach, splatter, and go) until they saw us save one of their babies.

I guess they communicate with the other bird species or at least keep them away.

Uh...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I fail to understand why people have to kill every piece of wildlife they see, be it birds, snakes, you name it.

You fail to live in areas where bird shit starts to become a health issue then I guess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I fail to understand why people have to kill every piece of wildlife they see, be it birds, snakes and Armadillos, you name it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I fail to understand why people have to kill every piece of wildlife they see, be it birds, snakes and Armadillos, you name it.

Because I hate being awakened at 6am to the sound of someone walking around my house, only to find it's an armadillo. BLAM! fixed. peace.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Get two cats.  Your yard will be bird free in no time.

I've got no problem shooting at the odd flock of ravens that happens by.  They're big birds and all I'm really going to do is scare them into leaving....but with bird feeders you actually have an ongoing problem that a little shooting with a bb gun will not solve.  They'll come back.  You need predators out there to keep the birds away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#22]
exterminate with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because I hate being awakened at 6am to the sound of someone walking around my house, only to find it's an armadillo. BLAM! fixed. peace.

Watch out. Sometimes they shoot back.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Funny. One time I cracked one in half with a .30-06 and rock.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Starlings and sparrows are non-native species and can be shot at will in most places.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I can relate here.  Back when used to have a dog (passed) the birds would come into the yard/patio area to snipe dog food from the bowl.  There were these few Mockingbirds that would swope in and perch on our patio furniture chairs (heads), tables, my tiled Bar area and grill area...and basically just shit the Fucking place up [/out came the Colibri].

Now I don't know about you, but basically I like to maintain some degree of cleanliness;
read: No shit in my hair (from the headrests of the chairs),  No shit on the table I eat or my kids eat off of,  No shit on my countertop area where I may be preparing food,  No shit around my grill area........uh......you get the idea?   Unless you've had this problem before its real easy to pass judgement on it.  If I were you I'd get out the Colibri or Super Colibri and stay 'inside' while you are doing your work.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]
try a scarcrow
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#28]
If the problem is with your dead yard the fix is simple.

Tear out the yard and lay cement.  Then paint the cement Green.  Problem solved.  When bird poop becomes an issue on your painted yard then take the hose out and clean it off.

Not to mention how mad your neighbor would be with the site of 3 cement trucks out back unloading right next to her house...muhhahahhahahaa
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I cant imagine these "collibra's" being quiter then a air gun anyone?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

With an airgun there is always some muzzle "blast" because air is still expanding behind the projectile when it exits.  When fired from a .22 rifle Colibris make almost no muzzle noise, in fact they may be slowing down and therefore suck air in when they exit the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Exactly my point

SSS
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#33]
When I lived in Kalifornistan, I had a family of very loud mockingbirds living in a couple of bushy trees in our narrow backyard.  Another family of mockers lived maybe 100yds away.  They are very territorial critters and VERY vocal.

These whacked out birds didn't know from taps or reveille!  For several nights in summer about ten years ago, the mocker families would begin yelling at each other loudly on the mid watch and just wouldn't stop!  I tried shooing them off...but they alwasy quickly returned and kept up their racket.  We had to go to work the next morning and no sleep was not a good thing.  Because it was summer, we had to keep the windows to our BR open and a fan going because of the heat so the birds' warbling prevented us from sleeping.  After about three straight nights of that shit, I finally decided to take action.

I used a pump pellet rifle with scope.  I waited until we had a clear night with a full moon and eased outside by the sliding patio door.  I initially spooked them into silence, but I knew if I just stood rock still, they'd get stupid and start hollering again...which they did.  I moved very quietly and slowly so as to get into position to outline the birds against the moonlit sky and then popped them.

It took some time...but in three consecutive nights I nailed five of those loud mothers.  Problem solved.

I was also very careful so as NOT to alert my neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The blackbirds (Common Grackle, I think) around here are a nuisance. They have to number in the millions. In the fall and winter the sky will be black with those things.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The blackbirds (Common Grackle, I think) around here are a nuisance. They have to number in the millions. In the fall and winter the sky will be black with those things.

Think of how many sketo's you would have if it werent for the common grackle.  Kill em all
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Starlings and sparrows are non-native species and can be shot at will in most places.

I don't indiscrimatly kill all wildlife and don't think people should but I am damn hard on starlings though.  Sometimes sparrows if they start to build up but I'll kill every starling I can get my sights on. I hate those things so bad.  They crap on EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:36:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Damn, just tried it for the first time, Colibri's out of a heavy barrel 10/22 is SILENT.

My 1000 FPS Gamo pellet rifle is about 4x louder.

Yup.  I can shoot Colibris in my back yard without upsetting the neighbor's stupid Chow.  If I shoot an airgun the dog panics and scratches up a hardwood floor trying to get out of the house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Damn, just tried it for the first time, Colibri's out of a heavy barrel 10/22 is SILENT.

My 1000 FPS Gamo pellet rifle is about 4x louder.

+1
Quieter than most air rifles for sure.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I have not checked out the laws at my new house, but firing pellet guns or firearms (those sweet litlle silent 22 shells) were definately illegal at the old house.

I had a bird feeder out hoping to attract some dove (ok now we are violating migratory game bird laws and state hunting regulations, but then a school got started behind my house.  Last thing I wanted is some parent seeing me scoping out the playground  And yes, all this was happening arround the time of the DC sniper...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top