Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 7:53:56 PM EDT
My wife was elected as State Constable For the township we reside in.Hell she will have a letter head inwhich she can get new LE toys!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Will she sign my form 4? (OK, my gf lives in PA...)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats to the wifey.  For those of us not born before 1850, what's a Constable? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
They serve "civil" court papers from their local court.

Nice things like subponeas', Writs, eviction notices, and then get to kick people out of their homes (well, I guess it's not really their home anymore) etc.

Deputy Sheriff's do the same thing (Civil Division), but for their whole county.

It is not always the most pleasant of jobs.
Good luck to her.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
In some states Constables have full arrest powers. They are fully authorized Peace Officers. I think PA is one of those [s]states[/s] Commonwealths.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In some states Constables have full arrest powers. They are fully authorized Peace Officers. I think PA is one of those [s]states[/s] Commonwealths.
View Quote

I thought Massachusetts was the only commonwealth???
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
PA is definately a commonwealth, although wealth is not common in PA.[:D]

Oh, by the way, I was also elected Constable yesterday in my local towship.

The earning potential is quite high if you hustle...(100k+)

Good luck to the wife...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats!

Constables mostly serve papers.

When I was working as a Deputy Sheriff, we served some papers in addition to normal police work.  I once had some divorce papers to serve.

Went up to the door (it was summer) and there was only a screen door.  A guy and his wife were sitting on the couch watching TV.

He came to the door and said,"What is that?"  I said, "Some divorce papers."  He turned to his wife and asked, "Honey, do you know anything about this?"

She said, "Just read the papers, Fred."

True story.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
[lolabove] All ways the last to know

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Viginia is a commonwealth also. So not all commonwealth suck like MA.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For those of us not born before 1850, what's a Constable? [;)]
View Quote

Here in PA they are glorified deliverymen. They serve civil papers, divorces and child custody etc. Talk to any Constable and they will tell you themselves that it has got to be the worst job on the planet.

What sucks is that you have to supply all of your own equipment, including vehicle/gas/insurance and don't get paid anything unless you actually serve the papers.

I always get a kick out of the Constable that lives down the street from me. This guy is like 68 years old, a retired career security guard, and carries a Norinco 9mm Tokarev in one of those $10 Uncle Mikes nylon holsters.

This guy makes Barney Fife look like a MIT Graduate.

And sobekra70, before you get too excited over the LE toys, here in PA, Constables, like Deputy Sheriff's are not considered "Law Enforcement Officers" so the LE rules don't apply.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Officially the following are commonwealths, not states:

1. Kentucky
2. Massachusetts
3. Pennsylvania
4. Virginia
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top