Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/4/2005 2:51:09 AM EDT
I just received a new (old) laptop from my mother, because she got herself a new computer. I knew it had a few problems. Little did I know just how many.

Like, for example, see the title of this post. I have no idea what the hell is wrong, but I don't think the ports are physically broken, because it has three USB ports in two seperate locations, and how would they both have broken at the same time?

Any idea how to fix this? It's Windows XP pro, and I'm thinking of trying to use the restore-disk that came with it, see if that fixes the driver, or something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:59:30 AM EDT
You should ask this over in the Urban Commandos forum. You would get a better chance of getting a answer.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:43:20 AM EDT
I have had USB ports stop working on occasion and restoring XP fixed it. It's a pain, but it worked for me. Sometimes you can have XP try to repair the current installation and that will fix it.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:49:17 AM EDT
Go to the manufacturer's support website, and search for drivers based on the model number of the laptop. Installing those may help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:51:10 AM EDT
I've got a broken usb port on my laptop. It's a common problem, poor design implementation by laptop vendors.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:51:31 AM EDT
uninstall your usb ports in device manager.

shut down

restart

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:33 AM EDT
Make sure the USB ports aren't turned off in the system BIOS.

And if this is going to permanantly be your computer, you should go ahead and reformat anyway. Just save off any data yo want to keep and wipe it. Of course, that'll be easier to do once yor USB ports are working.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:10:01 PM EDT
Well, I'ma try using the restore disk. I'll see how it works out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:28:00 PM EDT
If the computer is new to you, reformat and reinstall WinXP.
That way you get a fresh start, and can get rid of her problems.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:31:41 PM EDT
I did have some type of malfunction on my Tablet PC that burned out my USB and biometric controller. However, this is also a known Windows XP issue. If the previous advice doesn't work try Google. I have been able to resolve most problems with about an hour of research.

Also go into device manage and see if Windows is even recognizing the USB ports.

SBG
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:32:12 PM EDT
H&Ks are overpriced crap. I am not surprised.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 6:30:20 PM EDT by MagKnightX]

Originally Posted By Roland_O_Gilead:
H&Ks are overpriced crap. I am not surprised.

??? It's a Sager.

Anyway, computer is back up, Windows reinstalled. Testing USB.

Edit: Well, fuck. The rear ports make the computer turn off, and I wasn't able to get it to turn back on without removing the battery, and the side port just plain doesn't recognize it. Dammit.

Edit 2: Oh, now it's not recognizing the CD drive! Joy!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:17:53 PM EDT
Okay, now it's recognizing the CD drive, but it's not recognizing the sound card, video card (odd, but it still displays video, it just won't go higher than 1024x786), scroll wheel on my mouse, or firewire, in addition to the USB.

Goddamnit. I wish my other PC hadn't stopped recognizing its network card. WTF is wrong?
Top Top