Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/24/2003 8:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 8:27:04 AM EDT by SWIRE]
I had a Thanksgiving dinner with my neighbors and their friends Saturday night. They would accurately be described as freaks and have the DU mentality. I'm not sure if any of them post on the site but they would all definately fit right in there.

I can get along with pretty much everyone and don't get uptight about issues or talking to people who have differing opinions. So I just sat back and enjoyed the interesting topics and conversations.

The one girl has an open relationship and was talking about all these other guys that she has been with or is seeing right in front of one of her "friends" who she has been seeing for 2 1/2 years. Definately an interesting situation to be in.

Things got a little interesting when she asked if I wanted to vist Paris with her. I told her that I wasn't really too fond of the French right now because they didn't support the US on Iraq. Not a good thing to bring up to the French loving anti-war crowd. Her "friend" quickly changed the subject to something else.

Some details about the people:
Most attended or are attending a very liberal college.

Age range was from 19 to 27, except for the liberal professor from the college who came.

Most the people were dressed in all black.

Most have no use for any type of religion.

Statements I heard were:
"George Bush is EVIL and destroying America"

"The war is stupid"

"National Healthcare will fix all the problems"

"Pregnancy is curable."

Two of the older men said they were scared of guns and some of the girls piped up that no one needed assault weapons to go hunting. The amount of mis-information they have been told is overwhelming. I did my best to educate them but it would have taken all evening and I was outnumbered by about 15 to 1.

In summary they were all good people and wanted good things for the nation. They did complain about those who didn't take responsibility for their own actions...but I think they are probably willing to give them handouts anyway. In the end they just seem to want a peaceful world where everyone is doing ok.

Now they are confused about reality and have pie in the sky ideas as well as how to accomplish them. Often I could not follow their "logic" and was left scratching my head on how they came up with some of their views. It was very much like visiting the DU site...in person.

In this setting I was vastly outnumbered and several of the people were very aggressive conversationalist, so I didn't have a prayer if I tried to educate them all in mass. My plan will be to pull one or two off to the side and educate them. Then grab a couple more and work on them from the inside out.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 8:30:20 AM EDT by DoubleFeed]
"pregnancy is curable"? [LOL] Have they figured out how the pregnancy disease is transmitted? [;D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:33:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: "pregnancy is curable"? [LOL] Have they figured out how the pregnancy disease is transmitted? [;D]
View Quote
Maybe remind her that 'abortion can be retroactive...'
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 8:35:16 AM EDT by Zaphod]
Originally Posted By SWIRE: "The war is stupid"
View Quote
Now THAT is what I call in-depth analysis! [rolleyes]
"Pregnancy is curable."
View Quote
"Too bad your parents didn't agree with you..."
In summary they were all good people and wanted good things for the nation.
View Quote
Bullshit. I used to think this way, too, but people who believe as you describe want somthing that bears no resemblance to the nation we all love. No offense to you, but people like that scare the stuffing out of me, because among them is a future Predident, senator, etc., who's going to be trying to IMPLEMENT all that crap you were hearing, and WORSE!
They did complain about those who didn't take responsibility for their own actions...
View Quote
Yeah, but pregnancy is "cureable", right? [puke]
In this setting I was vastly outnumbered and several of the people were very aggressive conversationalist, so I didn't have a prayer if I tried to educate them all in mass. My plan will be to pull one or two off to the side and educate them. Then grab a couple more and work on them from the inside out.
View Quote
Good luck, my friend. I admire your efforts...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:37:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: "pregnancy is curable"? [LOL] Have they figured out how the pregnancy disease is transmitted? [;D]
View Quote
DoubleFeed... you are the man!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:05:31 PM EDT
"Maybe remind her that 'abortion can be retroactive...' I'm going to have to remember that one!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:29:41 PM EDT
The first question that comes to mind is WTF are they/you doing observing Thanksgiving on the Saturday before the only proper day, Thursday?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:45:15 PM EDT
I'm frequently in situations where I'm severely outnumbered by the ignorant. So often I just wish I had a CS Grenade that I could drop in the room, and run out of the room, and bar the doors shut behind me...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:48:46 PM EDT
Did you learn something from your betters, Swire?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:54:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KY-Bob: The first question that comes to mind is WTF are they/you doing observing Thanksgiving on the Saturday before the only proper day, Thursday?
View Quote
Heck, I've already had two Thanksgiving dinners. The first was Friday night with the local Jaycee chapter that I belong to. Saturday night was for all the college kids that will be leaving town to go have Thanksgiving with their families. So before they left my neighbors wanted to have a dinner with them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:59:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Did you learn something from your betters, Swire?
View Quote
Well I'm sure they are the type of people that you would love the government to investigate under their broadend powers of the Patriot Act. With all the drugs are good and anti-Bush attitudes that they have. Maybe you can just come down and stuff a patato in their tailpipe. That will teach them. What did learn was that if you move far enough to the left or to the right that both sides pretty much end up in the same spot, they just took a different way to get there. I am finding it interesting at how both the DU crowd as well as many here feel that our rights are being trampled on and that the Bush adminstration has gone too far, all in the name of security. That pretty much confirms the possibility of the previous paragragh.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:14:36 PM EDT
I was talking with a ultra lib chic the other day. We were having a reasonable conversation about guns and I posed the question "If someone was about to kill, rape and eat your kids wouldn't you want a gun to protect them?" She told me even then she couldn't bring herself to kill someone. Oh well her choice. I did get her to look at gun ownership as a civil right however. I doubt it will stick with her but who knows.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:27:42 PM EDT
I'm glad my family isn't like that [:D] Also glad you survived the encounter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:34:45 PM EDT
IMO, the best way to treat clueless friends/relatives to simply live you life as an example to them. Many of them have doubts and insecurities about their beliefs, and are secretly looking for a "positive role model" to emulate or look up to. To these folks, having your intellectual sh*t together is the ultimate form of coolness – even if they would never admit it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:37:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SWIRE: The one girl has an open relationship and was talking about all these other guys that she has been with or is seeing right in front of one of her "friends" who she has been seeing for 2 1/2 years. Definately an interesting situation to be in. Things got a little interesting when she asked if I wanted to vist Paris with her. I told her that I wasn't really too fond of the French right now because they didn't support the US on Iraq.
View Quote
Damn, why didn't you hit that shit? She was a skank, huh? [sex] [headbang]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:41:04 PM EDT
Top Top