Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/24/2009 6:50:01 AM EDT
My son is a college student in a nearby town.His classes have not started yet,so the other day he went hunting and shooting at his friends farm.On returning home(he lives in a subdivision),he turned on his street and a guy walking a kid home started screaming at my son as he drove by.It seems the kid just got off the bus.My son said the guy was yelling that my son was driving too fast.My son only lives about a 100 yards from where he turns into his street.I really believe my son when he said he wasn't speeding,since it's just a short distance and his old Jeep Cherokee is not a speed wagon.Anyway my son pulled in his drive and the guy was still screaming at him as he was walking down my son's street.My son said he never spoke a word to the man and proceded to unload his guns from his jeep,which included his shotgun that he carried on his shoulder by the sling(he doesn't have a case for it).My son looked to see where the man was and he had already crossed the street and was taking a new route home.I guess "billy bad ass"was not as bad as he thought when someone starts unloading guns at their residence.Any way,I thought my son handled it well by not saying a word and not threatening the man in any way.I also made sure my son did not wave the gun in the mans direction when he put it on his shoulder.We had a talk about the consequences and he seemed confident that he did everything right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
"Slow down whipper snapper!! uuhhh... nevermind"
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Good kid. How old is your son?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
My son is a college student in a nearby town.His classes have not started yet,so the other day he went hunting and shooting at his friends farm.On returning home(he lives in a subdivision),he turned on his street and a guy walking a kid home started screaming at my son as he drove by.It seems the kid just got off the bus.

My son said the guy was yelling that my son was driving too fast.My son only lives about a 100 yards from where he turns into his street.I really believe my son when he said he wasn't speeding,since it's just a short distance and his old Jeep Cherokee is not a speed wagon.Anyway my son pulled in his drive and the guy was still screaming at him as he was walking down my son's street.

My son said he never spoke a word to the man and proceded to unload his guns from his jeep,which included his shotgun that he carried on his shoulder by the sling(he doesn't have a case for it).My son looked to see where the man was and he had already crossed the street and was taking a new route home.I guess "billy bad ass"was not as bad as he thought when someone starts unloading guns at their residence.

Any way,I thought my son handled it well by not saying a word and not threatening the man in any way.I also made sure my son did not wave the gun in the mans direction when he put it on his shoulder.We had a talk about the consequences and he seemed confident that he did everything right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#4]
People need to STFU and mind their own business. Bet Slick crapped his pants when the shotgun came out though, a nice wakeup call for a loudmouth like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunate that the little kid(s) had to see that, but oh well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My son is a college student in a nearby town.His classes have not started yet,so the other day he went hunting and shooting at his friends farm.On returning home(he lives in a subdivision),he turned on his street and a guy walking a kid home started screaming at my son as he drove by.It seems the kid just got off the bus.

My son said the guy was yelling that my son was driving too fast.My son only lives about a 100 yards from where he turns into his street.I really believe my son when he said he wasn't speeding,since it's just a short distance and his old Jeep Cherokee is not a speed wagon.Anyway my son pulled in his drive and the guy was still screaming at him as he was walking down my son's street.

My son said he never spoke a word to the man and proceded to unload his guns from his jeep,which included his shotgun that he carried on his shoulder by the sling(he doesn't have a case for it).My son looked to see where the man was and he had already crossed the street and was taking a new route home.I guess "billy bad ass"was not as bad as he thought when someone starts unloading guns at their residence.

Any way,I thought my son handled it well by not saying a word and not threatening the man in any way.I also made sure my son did not wave the gun in the mans direction when he put it on his shoulder.We had a talk about the consequences and he seemed confident that he did everything right.

Lol, I want to applaud and make fun of you all at the same time. This is much nicer than the wall of text though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
You're son probably needs to slow down.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's that, a man with icky guns?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#9]
In my humble opinion, young men tend to drive too fast.  Your son probably was in the wrong.  I know I've chewed out plenty of teenagers driving too fast in my neighborhood, especially since we have so many little kids around who play in all our yards.  A guy will tend to freak out if you put his kid in danger.  Tell your son to drive extra slow in a neighborhood.  Nothing bad can come of it.  I wasn't there, so I obviously don't know what happened, but I'm siding with the irate father on this one; my take on the situation is based solely on prejudice and stereotype.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He'll be 22 next month.Always been a good kid.Caught his first bass at age 2 1/2 and killed his first deer,an 8 point,at 9 years old and is a Life member of NRA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
The guy is probably a douche-bag and looking to show off in front of his kid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he ment "see his dad act like a douche and inadvertantly get punked".
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is a good idea to slow down to a crawl when the kiddos are getting off the bus.

Little guys run around lawless and forget to look when crossing the street.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In my humble opinion, young men tend to drive too fast.  Your son probably was in the wrong.  I know I've chewed out plenty of teenagers driving too fast in my neighborhood, especially since we have so many little kids around who play in all our yards.  A guy will tend to freak out if you put his kid in danger.  Tell your son to drive extra slow in a neighborhood.  Nothing bad can come of it.  I wasn't there, so I obviously don't know what happened, but I'm siding with the irate father on this one; my take on the situation is based solely on prejudice and stereotype.

I wasn't there either,but I know my son and you don't.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he ment "see his dad act like a douche and inadvertantly get punked".

Sorry PBIR, I didn't even read your username before I replied. I do really like SGTCap's version of the events though, douchebags need to get punked more often so they'll stop acting like douchebags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Your son probably took the corner too fast as many young kids do.  He may have violated the state's vehicle code by passing a school bus that was stopped and dropping kids off. That is illegal in my state and many others.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The guy is probably a douche-bag and looking to show off in front of his kid.

and after showing off he got shut right the fuck up
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I meant to put these in paragragh form,but my phone rang and I was talking and trying to finish at the same time and hit submit before I got it done.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your son probably took the corner too fast as many young kids do.  He may have violated the state's vehicle code by passing a school bus that was stopped and dropping kids off. That is illegal in my state and many others.  

He didn't pass a DAMN school bus.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sorry PBIR, I didn't even read your username before I replied. I do really like SGTCap's version of the events though, douchebags need to get punked more often so they'll stop acting like douchebags.

No harm done.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a good idea to slow down to a crawl when the kiddos are getting off the bus.

Not to mention that "not going that fast" to a teenage college kid is about 40 MPH on a residential street.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't pass a DAMN school bus.

Ok. And the speed limit was probably what, 30 mph? It still wouldn't hurt to let him know 15mph is a better speed when little school kids are around. Little kids don't pay the best attention when they're just getting off the bus. Nothing like accidentally hitting a kid to fuck up your life, know what I mean?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#24]
GET OFF MY LAWN
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Exactly how fast was he going?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm done here!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that "not going that fast" to a teenage college kid is about 40 MPH on a residential street.

22 isn't "teenage" boss...
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Exactly how fast was he going?

87mph
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have told my kids that if they want to score points with me they will routinely ignore their peer's requests for them to do stupid things. If I get the idea that my kid can think and act like an adult before driving I will be more gung-ho about getting them on the road.

I drive a passenger bus for church and have two observations; first, the bus looks like it is racing if you are doing 25MPH in a cramped subdivision. As a consequence, I slow down below the permitted speed if the situation warrants it. Second, when you have responisbility for children's safety you put invisible perimeters around them all in your mind. This changes "A kid" into "my kid". FWIW
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Is it just me or does every other thread in GD escalate into a pissing match?

Glad no one was hurt, & I hope everybody concerned learned something.

Hessian-1(one more closer to 10,000!)
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll be 22 next month.Always been a good kid.Caught his first bass at age 2 1/2 and killed his first deer,an 8 point,at 9 years old and is a Life member of NRA.

Well what a cooinkydink. I'm 22. I was that exact age when I caught my first bass with my own dad.
ETA: 2 1/2, not 22 for the bass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean 21, he will be 22 next month.

I wasn't telling the dad that his son was a terrible person, and could of caused any harm. I was just stating that he does probably need to slow down. It is not a big deal, every neighborhood has the overzealous speed nazi neighbor.

The last thing his son needs is some guy calling the police stating that he was racing around the neighborhood while children were about, and when he confronted him the guys son threatened him with a gun. Which isn't true, but it sure would make a mess for the OP's son.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm sure your son thinks he wasn't speeding, but, these youngens' are always going too fast!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#34]
So your son was just minding his own business, peacefully driving down the road (well within the speed limit) and for no reason, some crazy father who was walking with his own son started screaming at yours to slow down??

Dude, your son was speeding and the guy got pissed that he had no regard for the little kids getting off the school bus...[://
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My son is a college student in a nearby town.His classes have not started yet,so the other day he went hunting and shooting at his friends farm.On returning home(he lives in a subdivision),he turned on his street and a guy walking a kid home started screaming at my son as he drove by.It seems the kid just got off the bus.My son said the guy was yelling that my son was driving too fast.My son only lives about a 100 yards from where he turns into his street.I really believe my son when he said he wasn't speeding,since it's just a short distance and his old Jeep Cherokee is not a speed wagon.Anyway my son pulled in his drive and the guy was still screaming at him as he was walking down my son's street.My son said he never spoke a word to the man and proceded to unload his guns from his jeep,which included his shotgun that he carried on his shoulder by the sling(he doesn't have a case for it).My son looked to see where the man was and he had already crossed the street and was taking a new route home.I guess "billy bad ass"was not as bad as he thought when someone starts unloading guns at their residence.Any way,I thought my son handled it well by not saying a word and not threatening the man in any way.I also made sure my son did not wave the gun in the mans direction when he put it on his shoulder.We had a talk about the consequences and he seemed confident that he did everything right.

It's all fun and games until the guy runs home, dials 911, and says, "Some guy nearly ran my kid over, I said WTF, and he pulled a gun on me!"  Cops show up, spread-eagle your son, find guns... case closed.  Domestic terrorism, terroristic threats, brandishing a firearm, reckless driving, speeding in a school zone... it'll all get piled on, because "We don't want this dangerous lunatic to slip through a loophole".

If I were the son, I think I'd have made a pre-emptive call to the police.  These days...
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a rule: if my good neighbor (you know, one that will fetch your mail when you are on vacation or give you a call if your sprinkler system is eroding the bank in front of your house due to a broken sprinkler head) tells me my dog has done something, I believe the neighbor; If an older person thinks someone is driving too fast, and the driver is <25 years old, I believe the older person, even if it is my kid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a good idea to slow down to a crawl when the kiddos are getting off the bus

In CA, it's the law that you stop and wait until the fat-ass bus driver huffs and puffs her way back onto the bus
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm done here!

Dude, you won't last long on ARFcom...  Threads will go sideways on you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a huge segment of the population 22 is the 1980s 17.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So your son was just minding his own business, peacefully driving down the road (well within the speed limit) and for no reason, some crazy father who was walking with his own son started screaming at yours to slow down??

Dude, your son was speeding and the guy got pissed that he had no regard for the little kids getting off the school bus...[://

I see "in his own little world". It's common for young drivers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#41]
He might not have been speeding, but if the jeep has a loud exhaust or bigger tires it'll sometimes throw people off as to speed and noise and make them think you're going faster than you were. I've had that happen to me before in my neighborhood.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't there either,but I know my son and you don't.

So the man just yells at all passing cars while walking with his child?

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm done here!

Dude, you won't last long on ARFcom...  Threads will go sideways on you.

'Oly Crap! If this is raining on his parade he needs some calouses on those internet hands of his!
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm done here!

GD is a pretty hard place so you better be able to take it.
As told you son did good.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I think you son handled himself very well.  Now, ask him to slow down.  No need to provoke a confronation.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Impossible, he caught a fish when was as 3.  Most young men are self-absorbed narcissists. All young adults need to learn at an early age that the world does not revolve around them.  Slow down and look out for the other guy and especially school buses.

BTW, Dad, we in education have a name for folks like you.  We call you helicopter parents.  Helicopter parents always flight to the side of their kids even when they are wrong and then tell everyone that "my kid has never done anything wrong" or "my baby dint do nuffin rong."  Wake up and tell you kid to slow down.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Find the dad and talk to him, get his side of the story.

Edit: "Trust, but verify", didnt Regan say that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
................... and then tell everyone that "my kid has never done anything wrong" or "my baby dint do nuffin rong."  Wake up and tell you kid to slow down.

/thread

The prerequisite has been met.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the law to stop for the school bus when it's loading or offloading here in NY. I don't mind it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was 18, I pulled into a culdesack and made a circle to park at my friend's house.  I never reached more than 15mph.  When I got out of my truck, a woman across the culdesac says:

"Would you like me coming down your street that fast around your kids?"

I say:

"When I have kids I'll teach them to watch out for cars and stay out of the damn street."

I grew a mean pair of balls my first year of college.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top