Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 4:22:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If he doesn't need his tax money back I wonder if he'd send it to me?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Why should he be any different to his fine, upstanding (when sober)and moral Uncle, Teddy?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:02:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Actualy, Teddy is his Dad, and Patches has been to rehab twice. Skumbaggus Maximus.
View Quote

Patches, AKA The Congressboy! [:D]

"And when ah returned, Mayry Joe and the cah were gawn....." -TEDDY KENNEDY
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
"Never worked a day in his life?"  A drunk?  Sounds qualified to be a politician to me. [rolleyes]

Why do people vote for assholes like this?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Never worked a day in his life?"  A drunk?  Sounds qualified to be a politician to me. [rolleyes]

Why do people vote for assholes like this?
View Quote

It's a Rhode Island thing...[rolleyes]

Maybe we will get lucky and he will take a DNC worker for a drive like his Uncle...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
If he had actually worked for his money, I'm sure he'd feel a lot different if the government came around to take it away.

If you risk your money in business and fail, where's the government?  They could care less. You might get some writeoffs. If you actually succeed, they're right there to take a bite.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The above was from this article...

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37316-2003Jun26.html[/url]

Kenneth Lay's Kerry Connection

By Lloyd Grove
Friday, June 27, 2003; Page C03

Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry regularly scorches the management of Enron, the scandal-ridden, bankrupt energy company founded by Kenneth Lay.

Some representative attacks:

• Feb. 16, 2002: "No worker in America should be robbed of years of labor by unconscionable personal greed. . . . One of my colleagues compared Enron executives to the Corleone family. Well, I think that's insulting to the Corleones."

• Feb. 9, 2003: "The president calls his energy plan 'balanced.' And I suppose it is, if balanced means what it did for the books at Enron and WorldCom."

• June 5: "It is time we had a president who is on the side of the many, not the few. . . . That means investing in people; it means restoring fiscal discipline, and it means that when an Enron bilks the retirement savings of ordinary investors and shatters consumer confidence, those greedy few at the top are going to go to jail."

Yesterday, self-styled muckraker Bernardo Issel of NonprofitWatch.org told us that the much-maligned Lay has been a longtime member of the board of trustees of the Heinz Center, an environmental group founded by the candidate's wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry. She's the group's vice chairman, and Lay left the small board earlier this year after serving for nearly a decade.

Issel calls this situation "hypocrisy." We'll settle for "irony."

The Kerry campaign directed us to Chris Black, communications director of the Heinz Family Philanthropies. Black acknowledged Lay's participation and his status as a corporate "boogeyman." But she added: "Whatever troubles he had at Enron, Ken Lay had a good reputation in the environmental community for being a businessman who was environmentally sensitive. When someone does wrong in one part of their life, it doesn't mean they can't do good in another part of their life."

Notes From Chairman Bob

• The new chairman of a $50 million fundraising drive to revitalize North Carolina's Bennett College happens to be married to Elizabeth Dole, the state's junior senator.

"It's something I've been kicking around for several months, and now I've decided to do it," Bob Dole told us yesterday, adding that Bennett, in Greensboro, and Spelman, in Atlanta, are the only two historically black women's colleges in the nation. "It's a little school that has been around some 80 years, and has around 400 or 500 students. It seemed to me that we don't want to lose those black female colleges."

The former Senate majority leader continued: "Fifty million dollars is a pretty high stretch. That's real money. We've got to get started somewhere. The first million I'll ask you for. Then I'll ask Bill Clinton. . . . He gets so much in speaking fees these days. When I saw him in New York the other night and said hello to him, he said, 'That'll be $10.' "

Dole's "60 Minutes" sparring partner has become a pal. "I flack for the guy all the time," he said about the former president. Will CBS renew their contract for next season? "I haven't heard. I gotta call Bob Barnett, maybe tomorrow, and find out. They liked the last two segments we did. We were together in the same studio, and that really worked. We could talk to each other, and you could almost smell it."

Dole says that since his wife joined the Senate, he has lost 23 pounds. "She used to make me hamburgers. I've been eating salads for three or four months. I think I need Meals on Wheels." In the meantime, the three-time presidential candidate is keeping office hours at Alston & Bird, a big powerhouse law firm. "If Bob Strauss is a rainmaker, I'm a sprinkle," Dole said. "Now I have an office on Pennsylvania Avenue. Ten blocks short of where I was aiming."

THIS JUST IN...

• As sometimes happens with Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-R.I.), he let his mouth race ahead of his brain Wednesday night at a gathering of Young Democrats at the Washington nightspot Acropolis. After presidential candidate Howard Dean spoke, Kennedy delivered an impassioned peroration against President Bush's tax cut. We hear that Kennedy told the crowd: "I don't need Bush's tax cut. I have never worked a [bleeping] day in my life." With that he got the audience's attention -- the dropping-jaws kind. "He droned on and on, frequently mentioning how much better the candidates would sound the more we drank," a witness told us. "Finally, he had to be stopped by a DNC volunteer." Kennedy's spokesman, Ernesto Anguilla, told us yesterday: "He was talking to the crowd; it was a rally-the-troops kind of speech about the tax cut. He was energizing the crowd and got caught up in it and used an unfortunate word, which he regrets using. . . . And no one pulled him off the stage."

With Anne Schroeder
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top