Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 3:19:47 PM EDT
prayer during acedemic functions.  first off I want to say that I am agnostic/atheist but I am for it.  People are so worried about being PC and offending people they dont realize that a private school has the right to do whatever it wants.  FYI its Norwich University which is the oldest private military academy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I should clarify, I'm saying in my opinion, not in fact.

-patry
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if they recive a penny of public money its no-go, otherwise they can do (or at least they outta be able to do) whatever their paying customers will abide.

on a non-related topic, you don't happen to know a fella' by the name of Robyn Stirling? he's in his second or third year I belive, if you do tell him Patry says yo.

-patry

heard the name dont know him personally
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion , prayer in school , so long as it is not mandatory and so long as each student is free to choose which diety they pray to , should be perfectly fine.
The exception to this would be privately funded schools which cater specifically to people of a certain belief system , such as Catholic schools.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My Catholic High school made us pray, and showed us vivid anti abortion films....

Hell, all i thought about was football, drinking and girls anyway
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
if they recive a penny of public money its no-go, otherwise they can do (or at least they outta be able to do) whatever their paying customers will abide.

on a non-related topic, you don't happen to know a fella' by the name of Robyn Stirling? he's in his second or third year I belive, if you do tell him Patry says yo.

-patry

Seperation of church and state, which is only stated in a LETTER and not a legal document, does not mean "ZOMG no prayer/religious symbols in public places!!!!!!!"

The Constitution DOES state that the government cannot persecute a religion or establish a state religion like England had. Nothing else.

If the president wants to say a prayer on tv during an official address, he can. If a police department wants a nativity scene on the front lawn, it's fine. If a judge wants the ten commandments (which our laws are based on) hanging in his court room, nobody can stop him. If a school has a daily prayer to kick off the morning, then that's A-okay. Seperation of church and state means the state can neither control or be controlled by any religious organization. It doesn't mean "Christianity in official/public places is verboten".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top