Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/11/2007 3:19:47 PM EDT
prayer during acedemic functions. first off I want to say that I am agnostic/atheist but I am for it. People are so worried about being PC and offending people they dont realize that a private school has the right to do whatever it wants. FYI its Norwich University which is the oldest private military academy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:33:06 PM EDT
I should clarify, I'm saying in my opinion, not in fact.

-patry
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:35:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PreBanPatry:
if they recive a penny of public money its no-go, otherwise they can do (or at least they outta be able to do) whatever their paying customers will abide.

on a non-related topic, you don't happen to know a fella' by the name of Robyn Stirling? he's in his second or third year I belive, if you do tell him Patry says yo.

-patry

heard the name dont know him personally
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:05:04 PM EDT
In my opinion , prayer in school , so long as it is not mandatory and so long as each student is free to choose which diety they pray to , should be perfectly fine.
The exception to this would be privately funded schools which cater specifically to people of a certain belief system , such as Catholic schools.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT
My Catholic High school made us pray, and showed us vivid anti abortion films....

Hell, all i thought about was football, drinking and girls anyway
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:12:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PreBanPatry:
if they recive a penny of public money its no-go, otherwise they can do (or at least they outta be able to do) whatever their paying customers will abide.

on a non-related topic, you don't happen to know a fella' by the name of Robyn Stirling? he's in his second or third year I belive, if you do tell him Patry says yo.

-patry

Seperation of church and state, which is only stated in a LETTER and not a legal document, does not mean "ZOMG no prayer/religious symbols in public places!!!!!!!"

The Constitution DOES state that the government cannot persecute a religion or establish a state religion like England had. Nothing else.

If the president wants to say a prayer on tv during an official address, he can. If a police department wants a nativity scene on the front lawn, it's fine. If a judge wants the ten commandments (which our laws are based on) hanging in his court room, nobody can stop him. If a school has a daily prayer to kick off the morning, then that's A-okay. Seperation of church and state means the state can neither control or be controlled by any religious organization. It doesn't mean "Christianity in official/public places is verboten".
Top Top