Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2009 6:23:48 PM EDT
I heard bees are easier to deal with at night because they are all in the Nest.  The wife, kids and I were out in the backyard today enjoying the Alaskan summer.  I keep having to swat at bees and I'm thinking to myself, "this is alot of bees."  I look between the house and the shed and sure enough, I got a bees nest attached to the shed.  I can't tell they were able to extend inside the roof of the shed, the crack between the wall and roof is only about 3mm.  

My plan is to get fully bundled up in bulky clothing, boots, gloves (tape ankles and wrists) large paintball facemask, hood over that and then a large insect head net that I have.  The mask is to keep the net off my face as the net has no frame.

I looked around on the internet and it said take a cloth bag, wait till night, grab the nest into the cloth bag, put the bag in a bucket of water with a rock on top of the nest.  Leave it for a few days to make sure they are all dead.

Anybody have advice, experience, comments or quips on this subject?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
those aren't bees
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
who uses 56k anyways?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Breathe...press trigger...run like hell.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just spray the shit out of it with that bee killer spray,thats what I do.

The shit will shoot over 20 feet and it kills them quick. You are going about it the hard way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
those aren't bees

Are they wasps?  Don't have alot of experience in this area.  Clue me in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a shovel..

I would.

Just dont move or breath after scraping the nest out.

If your afraid. Us a good wasp killer first.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why not just spray the shit out of it with that bee killer spray,thats what I do.

The shit will shoot over 20 feet and it kills them quick. You are going about it the hard way.

Right on, is that stuff spendy.  Kinda broke till friday.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
That really is one odd looking nest. I have never seen anything like it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on, is that stuff spendy.  Kinda broke till friday.

meh I think it is about 5 or 6 bucks a can. Not to bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use a shovel..
I would.

Really? Sounds like a painful pinata party...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like some kind of wasps.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Go poke it with a stick. They will go away and then all you have to do is remove the nest before they come back. It'll work. I swear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd let them bee
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
from the looks of it, you shouldn't have to worry.  
judging from that romex, that building is not up to code, and it will burn down.  
self-fixing problem
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Those aren't bees.  Wait until night, drench it with ice-cold soapy water.

ETA:  They look like paper wasps hornets.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
the solution is napalm...

lots, and lots, of napalm...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#17]
They are hornets. Kill them. The local bees will thank you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged for crappy cell phone pics from ER..
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't see them very well in the pic.  Do they look like this?   African Killer Bees

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't see them very well in the pic.  Do they look like this?   African Killer Bees

http://www.petmedsonline.org/images/africanbeecr.jpg

he's in Alaska
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's a scary bee, looks like he can stand and walk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]
They look like wasps to me, but it's hard to tell from the picture.

They are diurnal creatures, so yes, they will all be in the nest and resting during hours of darkness.

You are still having some pretty long days in Alaska right now, correct?  Wait until sunset.

Wasps are very sluggish at temperatures below 50 degrees.  Being in Alaska, that might be in your favor also.

While the best policy is usually to "live and let live" (wasps destroy many other pest insects, which is good), nests should be destroyed if they begin to pose a danger to human habitation.

This one does.

Good hunting.

ETA:  I don't know what the hell you are messing around with cloth bags for.  Just get some good Raid Formula X or similar bee and wasp killer and saturate the nest with it.  THOROUGHLY saturate it.  The residual action will keep killing any that you don't hit for days.  This is a LOT safer method that what you are describing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Those aren't bees. They're hornets. If you're going to try what you said, don't breath on them. And wear really bulky clothing. Normal bee suits (I'm a bee keeper) will not stop wasps or hornets. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#24]
OP - you also need to be aware that unlike bees, wasps CAN (and WILL) sting MULTIPLE TIMES.

Again, use wasp killer spray and stand at a safe distance away.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#25]
that is a wasp nest....
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a can of hairspray and a lighter.  light lighter and spray hairspray through the flame, which will produce a huge flame and then point it towards nest, apply as neccesary

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's a funky looking nest..what did they use, Spaghettios?

That's actually pretty classic in terms of appearance.

They macerate (i.e., chew) leaves and similar objects, mixing it with saliva to make a kind of "paper mache" when it dries.  The part you are seeing is just the outer "shell", but inside are the classic "honeycomb" structures.  The outer part is just to keep the inside of the nest warm enough for incubation.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get a can of hairspray and a lighter.  light lighter and spray hairspray through the flame, which will produce a huge flame and then point it towards nest, apply as neccesary

I know someone who almost set their house on fire trying to use fire to destroy a nest once.

Please, for your safety, do NOT use fire to destroy nests.

Your homeowner's insurance carrier will not be amused, and neither will the fire marshal.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Not really applicable in this case due to the structure it's attached to, but my most satisfying stinging insect extermination (hornets, iirc) involved me, a friend, 2 12 gauge shotguns, and 100 rounds of skeet shot. The poor tree was never quite the same but there was nothing left of that nest, in my county at least.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#31]
By the way, I think you need to adjust the zero on your EOTech.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

he's in Alaska

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#33]
So I'm getting the messege loud and clear to go get the spray killer and saturate the nest.  Safe way works for me.  And they are hornets, not bees.  Thanks for the info and the humor.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why? It is parallax free.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use a shovel..
I would.

Really? Sounds like a painful pinata party...

I endorse the idea that the OP should document the first ever "Painata" and post it to youtube.

The public demands it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? It is parallax free.

Kidding.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Make sure you post that in the Reticle thread in the Optics Forums plz.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I endorse the idea that the OP should document the first ever "Painata" and post it to youtube.

The public demands it!

Via La Painata...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Those look like hornets to me.

Walked up on this on a coworker's place. Made me wonder where all the bees were.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Walked up on this on a coworker's place. Made me wonder where all the bees were.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/imakechips/ATT00007.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/imakechips/ATT00015.jpg

HOO-LEE SHIT that's big.

But the biggest one I ever saw was that nest in the abandoned car, which took up the entire inside of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a funky looking nest..what did they use, Spaghettios?

That's actually pretty classic in terms of appearance.

They macerate (i.e., chew) leaves and similar objects, mixing it with saliva to make a kind of "paper mache" when it dries.  The part you are seeing is just the outer "shell", but inside are the classic "honeycomb" structures.  The outer part is just to keep the inside of the nest warm enough for incubation.

All the nests I see here are grey.  Must be a different type of wasp.

Supposedly all the honey bees here are domesticated.

I like soapy water in a super soaker to kill wasps.  Kills them faster than poisons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't forget to say "Watch this shit" first.  It's good luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Hornets.  How handy of a guy are you?  You say you don't have the money for a can of wasp and hornet killer...got any gasoline?  Don't set it on fire and keep the flames away.  You need the fumes, the gasoline also wets the spiracles, making these insects unable to breathe. And the fumes penetrate the wood fiber nest.

But you need a way to spray it.  Garden sprayer will work, if you have metal it is even better.  The plastic ones will work, for a while.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/imakechips/ATT00007.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/imakechips/ATT00015.jpg

That is fucking HUGE!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know someone who almost set their house on fire trying to use fire to destroy a nest once.

Please, for your safety, do NOT use fire to destroy nests.

Your homeowner's insurance carrier will not be amused, and neither will the fire marshal.

hush you.  You're no fun...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I found a nest of yellow jackets under a very old deck in my backyard (so old it was rotting out and had some holes in it, which is how they probably decided it was a good location).  Wife and kids thought I was crazy (maybe I am?) I took a shop vac, put the tube over the hole and started 'er up.

Believe it or not, I get every last one of those suckers in the shop vac.  When I was done I took off the tube and covered the opening on the vac with duct tape (while it was still on, didn't want them getting out!).  They all died sometime later from a terrible bug spray incident...

Some tips:  

1) shop vacs WILL vacuum up yellow jackets under a deck, but it takes a while and your wife and kids all scream and run in the house while you're doing it!

2) yellow jackets don't die immediately when vacuumed... they need some 'chemical' help for that...

Shop Vac: $120

Can of bee spray: $10

Getting to vacuum up an entire nest of yellow jackets: priceless!!!

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I found a nest of yellow jackets under a very old deck in my backyard (so old it was rotting out and had some holes in it, which is how they probably decided it was a good location).  Wife and kids thought I was crazy (maybe I am?) I took a shop vac, put the tube over the hole and started 'er up.

Believe it or not, I get every last one of those suckers in the shop vac.  When I was done I took off the tube and covered the opening on the vac with duct tape (while it was still on, didn't want them getting out!).  They all died sometime later from a terrible bug spray incident...

Some tips:  

1) shop vacs WILL vacuum up yellow jackets under a deck, but it takes a while and your wife and kids all scream and run in the house while you're doing it!

2) yellow jackets don't die immediately when vacuumed... they need some 'chemical' help for that...

Shop Vac: $120

Can of bee spray: $10

Getting to vacuum up an entire nest of yellow jackets: priceless!!!

YMMV

The most creative YJ nest-destruction method I've seen goes to the husband of one of my mom's friends...

I was probably 12yo at the time, and we were visiting their lake house for the week...

Yellowjacket nest was in the ground by the boat dock...

And as we're pulling up, their kid (About my age) comes running up and says 'Hey, you wanna watch my dad blow up a bee's nest'?

Sure enough, his 'solution' for an in-ground yellowjacket's nest, was about 1/2 a can of black powder, with a gasonline-soaked rag as a 'fuse'....

Gunpowder + fire + hole-in-ground = BOOM, dead bees...

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's in Alaska

Alaskan Killer Bees now?! When will this global warming pandemic of swine/ bird/ manbearpig flu end? I'd call Sarah Palin. She fixed everything else up there.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That really is one odd looking nest. I have never seen anything like it.

Me either- they look like some type of hornets.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top