Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 3:12:01 AM EST
I had a flat tire on a remote country road in Morgan, Utah. I jacked it up and removed the flat tire and then when I went to remove the spare tire, I discovered that it has a locking nut on it to prevent theft. I pulled out the toolkit and the manual. The manual said that if the car included a locking nut on the spare tire, that the key would be in the toolkit. Fail.

I was out of cell phone range but my On Star phone worked. I told On Star that I bought the car new and had never had to change tires until then and that the key was not in the tool kit. I then said that this would not have happened with a Japanese car. They said, "Sir we are sending out a tow truck at our expense." The tow truck took me to the Hummer dealer in Salt Lake City but the Hummer dealer did not have the key in their shop and the parts department did not have the key. They sent me to a Pontiac dealer in Bountiful, which had the key in their shop but no key in the parts department to sell me, so I had to order one.

Other than one American car that I had in the Seventies, I have only driven Japanese vehicles until now. People want to support American vehicles but GM's lack of quality control could have killed me. What if I had been way offroad and had a flat tire out of On Star phone range?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:31:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:41:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 3:41:44 AM EST by Easy_E]
I bought a new Mercury outboard with electric start only . In the owners manual it said there was a emergency pull rope under the cover . I looked to make sure and it was not there.
I wouldn't take off boating on the great lakes without checking everything first. It can save your life.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:41:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Are you the original owner?

RIF

I told On Star that I bought the car new

Man, I'd be so hot. I'd be reaching through that OnStar phone and ripping them a new one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:18:32 AM EST
My 97 Mazda 626 had locking lug nuts on each wheel, and didn't come with a key.

Not a GM fan, but I'm saying shit happens. You really should have checked that when you bought it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:21:11 AM EST
I remember a few years ago before GM became a ward of the state and sold the Hummer brand to a Chinese manufacturing company, the VP of Marketing at Hummer responded to a journalist's question about any future plans for a hybrid Hummer by saying that it is a macho brand, therefore they had no intention of making a hybrid version.

I thought to myself, "What a stupid person. Hybrids are not macho?" The US military is investigating and developing hybrid vehicles. And what could be more macho than developing an aggressive offroad vehicle that sips fossil fuel? What is macho about burning fossil fuel if more cost-efficient technology is available?

If GM had been able to field a hybrid Hummer two years ago, they would not have had to sell the brand to China.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:22:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:23:23 AM EST by Quintin]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:22:57 AM EST
Locking lug nuts are child's play to bypass.

Why people waste money on them I will never understand.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:24:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:26:18 AM EST by Freeway]
Originally Posted By MadProfessor:

Not a GM fan, but I'm saying shit happens. You really should have checked that when you bought it.

Ok, so I was wrong about the difference between American and Japanese quality control in this situation. And you are right, I should have checked.

I am surprised that it also happened on a Mazda. I had always driven Nissans and Infinitis until I bought the Hummer and the Nissan/Infiniti quality control surpassed my expectations.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:42:35 AM EST by Quintin]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:41:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:41:26 AM EST by garr]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

Most of the Hood rats that steal tires are not as smart a children!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:03:38 AM EST
Yeah, it was definitely a screw up on the manufacturer/dealer end. However, I always make sure I know how to use all the equipment on a new vehicle before I need to...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:19:05 AM EST
Maybe the lug nut key is part of option package you didn't choose.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:22:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Originally Posted By MadProfessor:

Perhaps, but the selling dealer is supposed to check in every new vehicle they receive, they're supposed to make sure everything works and all the accessories and random bits (floor mats, owners documents, wheel keys, etc.) are there before they deliver the vehicle to its new owner. The manufacturers have labor ops for this to pay the dealers for doing these inspections.

Someone at the dealer dropped the ball on this one. Yeah, I'd be seriously pissed too if I were stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire, and no way to get my spare out so I can get back on my way.

I was kind of annoyed, but I checked before I left the dealer. When I got home I took them off and replaced them with normal lugnuts.

If I haden't and had a flat on the side of the road (which I did a couple years later, actually) I probably would be pissed too.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:37:32 AM EST
runflats are worth the hassle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:41:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:

Shit man, I dunno. Mine weigh an extra 35 lbs or so. Puts overall weight around 155 lbs. Anything where I gotta take them off and put them back on sucks. (Rotations, servicing geared hubs, etc).
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:56:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 6:57:41 AM EST by jeremy223]

Originally Posted By JustinOK34:
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:

Shit man, I dunno. Mine weigh an extra 35 lbs or so. Puts overall weight around 155 lbs. Anything where I gotta take them off and put them back on sucks. (Rotations, servicing geared hubs, etc).

As far as the security nut on the spare, is that factory or dealer installed? Either way, I would direct my anger towards the dealer, as it was their responsibility at install or during PDI to catch things like that.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:59:13 AM EST
So did the SLC dealer you went to repair or replace the flat tire?

They should have been able to remove the security nut for you until you get get the correct key.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:07:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By Freeway:
I had a flat tire could have killed me.

What if I had been way offroad and had a flat tire out of On Star phone range?

you mean that big bad hummer cant handle being driven
on THREE good wheels ?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:40:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By jeremy223:
So did the SLC dealer you went to repair or replace the flat tire?

They should have been able to remove the security nut for you until you get get the correct key.

Yes when I got to the Pontiac dealer, they had a shop key to remove the security nut so that the tire could be changed. I'll have the key that I ordered for myself in three days.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:33:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 7:34:56 PM EST by ZachH]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

I always used a craftsman (and it is brand specific ) 12pt deepwell socket that was just barely to small to fit over the outside of the nut . take an extenstin and drive it on with a big hammer then remove , repeat till all lock nuts are off .

this was only done when i worked in a wheel shop . we charged an extra $5 per lock nut to remove .
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:42:53 PM EST
Aren't those ego-stroking gas guzzling machines supposed to have like run flats on em or somethin
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:05:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Freeway:
Other than one American car that I had in the Seventies, I have only driven Japanese vehicles until now. People want to support American vehicles but GM's lack of quality control could have killed me. What if I had been way offroad and had a flat tire out of On Star phone range?

Is that a serious question? No offense, but you don't belong off road.

Whats going to happen if you get TWO flats? Going to bash the manufacturer for not including 2 spares?

Top Top