Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2008 3:34:19 PM EDT
My Chief and I just got out of a meeting. I don't know what got into him, but he wants me to find out what 3 MP5's would cost us. Obviously, the cheapest route is to get them from another agency or Class 3 dealer who brokers department guns.

I'd like to have price quotes on his desk withtin 48 hours. When the boss is willing to write checks for toys, you don't waste time. Strike while the iron is HOT!!!!!

Alot of agencies are getting rid of their MP5's in favor of M4 platforms.  If you have a few, we would like them.  

I can be contacted direct at:  (240) 455-2597 or email me through the site.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Want .40S&W?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=237055

Don't know how cheap they will be, but you could call him.
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Try subguns or sturmgewehr.

They come up every now and then around 1k each.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]

We still have not purchased yet, but I need a quote to get things going.  We have to spend the $ or lose it next year.  Please fax quotes with specs and prices to:

Seat Pleasant Police Department
ATT:  Deputy Chief Finkelman
301-499-8702

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
QUOTE"When the boss is willing to write checks for toys, you don't waste time. Strike while the iron is HOT!!!!!We have to spend the $ or lose it next year."

Not to piss on your parade but: I think most people know how Public Service agencys work, however to actually see it in print is....quite frankly sickening.
This isn't YOUR money, it's the taxpayers.

Next time you stop someone with a gun , are you going to let him go because it's only a TOY?

Roy
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Why pay for it, write a grant request and have Uncle Sam pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
QUOTE"When the boss is willing to write checks for toys, you don't waste time. Strike while the iron is HOT!!!!!We have to spend the $ or lose it next year."

Not to piss on your parade but: I think most people know how Public Service agencys work, however to actually see it in print is....quite frankly sickening.

Next time you stop someone with a gun , are you going to let him go because it's only a TOY?

Roy

WTF does that have to do with anything?  The guy is trying to get gear that his agency needs and is limited by the procurement rules of his agency.  It has nothing to do with your personal right to do whatever you think you should be doing.

Go back to GD.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

WTF does that have to do with anything?  The guy is trying to get gear that his agency needs and is limited by the procurement rules of his agency.  It has nothing to do with your personal right to do whatever you think you should be doing.

Go back to GD.

Get off the bottle and say it in English. I have No idea WTF you are talking about.

Roy
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#8]
What he's saying is this isn't the General Discussion forum. I'm sure RifleCop takes full regard to the attention and necessity of frugal use of taxpayer money.

Which is exactly why he's trying to find the best deal possible for his agency, to get the weaponry they've determined that they need, while the boss still agrees.

As said before, if you want to piss in people's threads, go back to GD. This is a technical forum and you'll quickly notice behavior of that sort isn't welcome here.

RC, Have you tried Town Police Supply in Richmond? Also, check Oliver on this board. He is a Virginia FFL with NFA capability and many resources. He may be able to help you out. PM me for his phone number if you'd like.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
As an aside, I understand that HK had plans to discontinue the production of new MP-5s and parts...

Not sure if that ever happened but I know for a fact that it is nearly impossible to get basic spare parts for them, even as a .gov agency.  

You might look for another weapon if you intend to actually deploy and use these as the logistics could render them inop.  

Why not just go with an M-4?  Tons of options, less cost, better performance, ect.  

If you are handicapped with 9mm, you might look at the other HK SMGs that are currently in production.  

I am not an expert but I have seen some good Colt SMGs and some not so good ones that wouldn't feed anything but ball.  

I got to use one of the UMPs that a local PD had as a T&E gun and it was decent...not something that I would grab over an M-4 but if it was all I had, it would work.  Only fired 250 rounds or so...so YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You could even contact H&K directly and see what is the status of the MP5 and also check to see if they have a listing of LE dealers that you could contact dircetly.  The H&K UMP may be a good option for you as well.  Good luck to you, I wish that my department would get us something full auto.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As an aside, I understand that HK had plans to discontinue the production of new MP-5s and parts...

Not sure if that ever happened but I know for a fact that it is nearly impossible to get basic spare parts for them, even as a .gov agency.  

You might look for another weapon if you intend to actually deploy and use these as the logistics could render them inop.  

Why not just go with an M-4?  Tons of options, less cost, better performance, ect.  

If you are handicapped with 9mm, you might look at the other HK SMGs that are currently in production.  

I am not an expert but I have seen some good Colt SMGs and some not so good ones that wouldn't feed anything but ball.  

I got to use one of the UMPs that a local PD had as a T&E gun and it was decent...not something that I would grab over an M-4 but if it was all I had, it would work.  Only fired 250 rounds or so...so YMMV.

We have M4's but range availablity is a HUGE issue.  FLETC costs an arm and a leg, FT Meade requires tungsten "green" ammo and our current pistol/shotgun range won't allow rifle calibers, even though the berms are fully capable of handling it.  There is just nowhere to fire rifles within reasonable distance of DC.  
The 9mm MP5 is not a prohibitted caliber.  My small agency has at least 2 days per month scheduled for the range.  If we had MP5's, Colt SMG's, whatever, we could train regularly.  M4's we got less than a year ago and have not been able to field them yet.  We have to get people piggy-backed with another agency's course of fire (usually 60 miles or more).  Court, inverstigations, etc, makes it very difficult to schedule.

To anyone concerned about their "taxpayer dollars" being spent, that is why we are getting quotes.  This is the way procurement works.  We have a budget and know exactly what can be spent.  Vendors give quotes, we then buy within that budget, just like with my personal budget.  We can't just piss $ away.  We have funds earmarked for this purchase, so step-off and mind your business in GD forums, troll.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#12]
We use MP5's but we also use AR-15 SBR's. I prefer the AR and they cost a lot less.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
With the mp5 parts problem why not get colt 9mm AR SMG's?

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:03:08 AM EDT
[#14]
wouldnt it be cheaper to change over the existing M4s to 9mm?
maybe $600 each plus mags?
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Roy

What is your problem??
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:06:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Roy

Stopped plenty w/guns and yes they were free to leave afterwards. They did it the right way w/CCW permit.  

Some agencies traded in their old MP5 for the G36's or M4's. Only problem is the Class 3 dealers rather sell them to the public for the $$ then resell to PD's
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Rifle Cop IM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top