Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 8:59:52 PM EDT
Well I am Pissed
This evening I found a transaction on my bank account withdrawing $199.99
From a company stated as     CCA800-760-4045- PREAUTHPMT PPD.
That is all it says.
So i called the 1800 number, only to get a message machine with a mans voice saying busienss was closed for the day and gave me hours of operation.

I am calling my Bank in the Morning to claim it as fraud.
However after doing some research, others have had the same issue.
Their banks did not cover the fraud because there is no Financial Trasaction Code.
Apparently on PREAUTHORIZATIONS there is no Transaction Code.

So They will have no idea where the money went.???

I am worried.  I just need to talk to my bank in the morning.

The odd thing is that I just opened this account 9 days ago.

Anyone had anything like this happen

Visit this Website for More Info about the Culprit.
ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff78410.htm
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
When you call the bank, stress to them the 9days. They may have a insider. And make sure you talk to someone in the security/fraud department.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
call the local PD. And if you think that it may be an interstate scam, call the FBI.

Want the hotline #?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear about this. Please keep us updated.

This brings up a serious bitch I have about online banking. I set up a savings account with gmacbank.com. It's an FDIC insured savings account that pays about 4.5%. To fund the account I went into my Credit Union's online banking and tried to 'push' the money to gmacbank.com. Eventually I discover my CU wants a $2 transaction fee to do this. So I go into gmacbank.com and enter all my info for my CU account and that money gets extracted free (ACH transaction I believe). Never had to authorize it with my CU, they just handed out the $$$. What a crock. Maybe one of you guys can school me on how this is secure, but it seems from the original poster's story that it's not.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When you call the bank, stress to them the 9days. They may have a insider. And make sure you talk to someone in the security/fraud department.

9 days?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Id be calling someone .... I found quite alot of info on them. Just google the phone number...

www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=DVXA%2CDVXA%3A2005-30%2CDVXA%3Aen&q=1-800-760-4045
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I just got off the Phone with my Bank.
At First she was like, "It looks like there is a 1-800 number why don't you try that."
I said, I have and it is a scam.  It is a recording that loops.
I told her I did some research and that I know it is someone in Las Vegas
with a PO box.  
She was like well, its not considered a visa transaction. It was pre-authorized
In an aggrevagted tone I said,
        "well I didnt authorize anything, and that I needed to know what she you going to do in oderd to                        make sure that some asshole in Nevada didnt just steal 200 bux from me."

She called me back, and told me everything would be taken care of.  I would get my money back.
I will be closing the account.

Slimy F**ks

I encourage everyone to read the link.
It has testimonials from other poeple who have been ripped off.
ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff78410.htm
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#7]
happened to me...
Bank of America got my $250 back in less than 15 minutes.

some scum in Australia hacked my card number and stole $250. The bank told me that it was done and I will be refunded.  The money was posted to my account in 15 minutes and "offical" the next morning.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont understand how they get away with this..

my first THought was to drive to NV and murder this asshole in his sleep.

however my ratioanlity kicked in, and told me... you will spend as much on gas as  200 dollars so its not worth it.

That sunuvabitch is lucky gas prices are up
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks, man.

About a month ago I got a call from Office Depot wanting to verify the charge for the computer I had just purchased.

Thing is, I didn't purchase a computer.  Turns out some fuck got my debit card # from my trash or something and tried to charge a $1500 online purchase with them.  I'm grateful that they flagged it and called me, that way I didn't have to hassle with getting my money refunded by the bank.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
As an investor in several banks, I can tell you--
Do not use "on line banking"
Do not use a credit card on line
Never put your account numbers in your computer
And never, never get a "debit card"
If you want to know why read Reg E!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
It irritates me that People Get away with shit like this and then have to be hunted down and arrested.

Im glad in your case with the PC it was stopped.

But think about how many people get away with shit like this everyday.

Identity theft and what not.

It is disgusting how lazy people are now days.

I think people who commit fraud or theft against you should then become your indentured servant for a period of 1  month. or at least you should have that as an option.  And then they have to serve a predetermined Jail sentence.

It would stop alot of people in there tracks if they new if they were caught they would face there victim for 1 month everyday doind whateever was needed.

As I am writing this I am finding alot of holes in it.

Ok.  It was a dumb idea.. but something must be done.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I dont understand how they get away with this..

my first THought was to drive to NV and murder this asshole in his sleep.

however my ratioanlity kicked in, and told me... you will spend as much on gas as  200 dollars so its not worth it.

That sunuvabitch is lucky gas prices are up

I'm sure there are plenty of members in NV that wouldn't mind getting answers for you through superior firepower.    
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#13]
1050 East Sahara
Las Vegas NV 89104

I think that  is the Official Business Address.
Im cant be sure though,

Im not saying to kill anyone just ya know get my money back..
Italiano Style..
PS could you video tape it for my satisfaction
lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]

It would cost the bank's about $5 a year to prevent this stuff with a USB crypto-key.

One problem with that is that all of them required you to buy a certain type of computer and pay Microsoft money.  That locks-out many people.  Of course, the web sites of many banks require you to pay money to Microsoft already just to use them.  It's ridiculous.

The bigger problem is that that would do nothing to protect what happened to njensen1 and others.  Either the money was wired or went through a ACH.  No amount of added useless hassle to a login will prevent that.  That's an inter-bank issue not a customer-bank issue.z
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Happened to me last year.  The bank and LEO on both ends were cooperative, albeit uneffective. Some cock sucker got a hold of my debit card number...I still had the card in my SAFE, it was never obviously compromised.  I believe the account number was sold wholesale with a list of other numbers by someone in a position to do so...i.e. credit agency, bank, retailer.

So I noticed some "workout" videos T-Mobile charges .  I called the vendors, prentending to be the shithead that placed the order.  I got enough info out of them to nail it down to a name and address in Goleta, CA.  I'm in Michigan.  The address was a blind drop location to someone with the same last name as me.  A detective in Santa Barbara County Sheriff's dept. made his life hell for six months.  

The bank worked with the vendors, and the video place gave it up right away.  T-Mobile was another story.  I ended up serving them with small claims papers in my jurisdiction.  Only then did they want to play ball.  I got a little something-something extra for all my troubles, and it was less than the cost of hiring a local attorney or flying one out here to fight it.  Stressful, though.  

This was the thrid time my 'identity' had been stolen.  I'm getting to be an old pro at this shit.  

My letter to the credit reporting agencies included a blurb about my intentions to deal with any further such instances with "extreme predjudice"....in 150 words or less.  

When I bought my truck and they ran my report, the guy was dying laughing.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't know why this is a problem for you. Don't call the FBI don't call the police. Find out where they are and go and get your money back your self. Go in rambo stile and shoot all the computers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Thanks for the $200 bucks pal
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11628051/from/RSS/

A house in the southwest part of the valley is the scene of an FBI raid. Agents busted a credit card fraud ring. Early Wednesday morning agents entered the house near Windmill and Las Vegas Boulevard.

They arrested two Romanian men who authorities say are part of an organized crime ring that is spread throughout the United States. According to the FBI, the group steals credit card numbers and then makes more than 600 fake cards each day to either withdraw cash or make purchases.

This sophisticated ring will only charge a few hundred dollars, then throw it away to avoid suspicion. They obtained the credit card numbers by having members of their crime ring in retail shops and restaurants. Six others were arrested today as well, five in New Jersey and one in New York.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#19]
The exact same thing happened to me awhile back. Here are some things that will help you on your journey.

A. The company who was supposedly receiving the funds probably does not use the same address or phone number. What happens is a hacker looks up your past transactions, and when they find a business that had an address and phone number change, they use it. There's a 99% chance that the people that were supposed to receive the funds had nothing to do with it.

B. Don't bother calling the FBI or any other law enforcement agency. They will not help, even if it's a significant amount more as mine was. You may not believe me now, but the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, the Omaha Police Department, and the FBI did not even give a shit.

C. Shutting down your account is all you can do. When the thief sees this, they will usually cancel the fund transfer to avoid any tracing. The bank won't do shit aside from that.

Basically, you're shit out of luck if the fundage goes through. The cops will politely tell you to go pound sand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Since it's a penny under $200 it's not a felony... But, the crap he's doing might be (fraud, etc).
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I hate to say this, but be mindful of who is taking your information when you shop retail. It seems some people's loyalties are not with the business or the customer.

I'm more than a little tired of people who see us a low hanging fruit, ripe for the picking. Thorns are good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

wtf is Reg E?  Can somebody post it?  

I hate identitiy thieves.  Even more then honest thieves.      
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf is Reg E?  Can somebody post it?  

I hate identitiy thieves.  Even more then honest thieves.      

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]
www.aclu.org/privacy/consumer/15301leg20050310.html

And there have been more cases than this.  My wife got a call from her Credit Union last month and asked her if she'd been in New Jersey as there were charges starting to come in from there.  We weren't there so they cancelled the card and sent her a new one in a few days.  Probably an inside job where an employee colluded with a customer because they definitley did not have possession of the card and the sale was made without knowledge of my wife's name.  Someone signed the slip with a different name.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Nevada leads the country in identity theft.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Someone had gotten ahold of my CC number and purchased something for about $40.
It took me about 2 months for the CC company to get my money back.

In the mean time I had cancelled that account and had started a new one.

I now have one credit card that I use for all on-line transactions and it has a low spending limit.
I check that card account daily.

I use a confetti shredder to shred ALL junk mail that has any type of a financial offer.
I have my bills and important stuff sent to my PO box.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#27]
When this happened to my Visa check card, the Secret Service told me that banks are almost out of numbers for the cards.  All a thief needs to do is just pick a number and make a card.  It took the local PD two weeks to call me and take a report for a case number.  There isn't much being done about it, and the US Attorney had no interest in these cases until they reach the $50,000 level.  

A recent SS arrest, locally, collared a meth head with the card making equipment.  There are many more out there.

Often the theft is unrelated to any on line transaction or bank transaction, and has nothing to do with finding a receipt in the trash.

It is merely a matter of time and probability before you get hit.  Keep track of your statements daily, on-line.

The Agent also told me that there were huge rings in Canada and the Middle East pulling this shit.  The ass that got me was in Pakistan.  These countries say that this is a US problem and they won't do a damn thing to stop it.  Makes me wonder if I need to retire in Canada and just steal money........

Same thing happened to my brother, a cop, who had a card in his safe that he had NEVER used.  Someone made a card and went out buying appliances.  No on line transactions or lost receipts caused this theft, and no shredder would have prevented it.

Watch your accounts, check them daily.  (it needed repeating)
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yea but a lot of banks use ATM cards as VISAs, and debit cards as well. So if you want an ATM card there is no way around not having a debit card either. What you can do is not keep much in your checking account; since most savings accounts don't allow remote transfers.

But as far as "not using credit card online" and "never putting your account numbers into your computer", that's just stupid.
You don't use IE, buy a antivirus program and run spyware cleaners every now and then. Get a CC that has virtual credit-card numbers, it greatly lessens the chance of getting ripped off online (virtual numbers can only get charged one time). And when somebody rips you off, you close the account/contact the CC company/whatever, and get a new one. It happens.

And anyway--I have said it several times now--MUCH of the bank fraud that occurs now is hackers getting into bank/credit agency/other various industry systems and stealing your info from there. They can be halfway around the world, and never have to see you or lay a hand on your wallet or any credit-card receipt or personal check.
You have NO WAY to stop or avoid this, other than not having any bank accounts at all.
~~~~~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top