Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 10:04:49 AM EDT
My upstairs AC unit stop working Saturday.  The house is 9 yrs old and I was worried about getting hit with a big repair bill.  

But.......2 lbs of freon  and $110 and I'm back in business.  So I guess I dodged a bullet this time.  What can I expect in the future as far as repairs and costs are concerned.  How long do these things last.  

Man it got hotter than the hinges of hell up there last night so I glad I don't have to worry about it anymore........at least for a while.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is 9 yo then start saving now.

What part of GA are you in?

I work at an A/C wholesaler and the industry average is now 7 years for life expectancy.

Mostly due to the efficiency requirements the .gov has mandated.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]
If it lost freon, it has a leak.

It's not like an old hound dog.  It won't just get better.

If they didn't fix the leak, it will quit again.  Sorry to break the news to you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
9 years old?

Shit.  The Goetll on my roof is the same one that was on the house when it was built in 1969!

I'm fixin' to replace it this fall.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Same thing happened to me earlier this summer.  The starter capacitor took a dump.  It was also a little low on freon.  The repair guy was pretty straight up dude and told me the current unit could go 1 day or a couple of years.  Gave me a rough quote of $4-6 Grand for a switch-over to a Puron (sp?) system and a slightly larger compressor.  My units are 10 yrs old now.  He said pretty much the same thing "Start saving"
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#5]
got a buddy doing my hvac now- he said he could set me up with a 13 see AC unit for under a grand think it was a 2 ton
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
9 years old?

Shit.  The Goetll on my roof is the same one that was on the house when it was built in 1969!

I'm fixin' to replace it this fall.

They don't make 'em like that anymore!

They still make them though...in Arizona IIRC.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
got a buddy doing my hvac now- he said he could set me up with a 13 see AC unit for under a grand think it was a 2 ton

Was that installed or not?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it lost freon, it has a leak.

It's not like an old hound dog.  It won't just get better.

If they didn't fix the leak, it will quit again.  Sorry to break the news to you.

BINGO!!!!

Actually if the guy just added freon without finding and fixing the leak, he violated EPA laws and could get his ass in a sling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
installed
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got my AC going this last weekend.  The fan motor on the outside unit burned out for some reason, and I had to replace it.  I've only owned my own home for a few months, so this was my first experience with HVAC repair.  Made me feel all manly.  

I'm just glad it went out when it did.  We actually had a few mild days there, and it was tolerable in the house with the windows up.  Pretty rare for Georgia in August.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the comments.  I  am mentally prepared for a $1k-1.5K fix one day.  The $4-$6K replacement has me concerned.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"Puron" is a proprietary name for a generic product, R410.  Runs at very high pressures.  I remember the Carrier mess with Carrine - R500.  That one required a lawsuit to get the formula released!!

AHHHH the AC world has one of "THOSE" companies too huh? In the appliance field we have GE. The big ol' badass BIG companies who think they can rule the roost. I cant speak for Carrier but I can tell you that the big ol' tough GE makes appliances that I would NEVER put in my house.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Just had Central Air installed on my furnace. Always had an swamp cooler. Looking forwaard to many years of having a cool house at the touch of a button. Went with a Rheam system that bolted on my existing furnace. It was only a couple grand to install on a house that did not have one. I plan on being in another house before the 7 years are up, so it will be another persons problem. But then again I am sure I will have someone elses problem in another house-HAHA!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine hasn't worked after Charley roared through here Friday the 13th. It is FREAKIN hot  too! Oh the light, dishwasher and  well pump is not working either...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oil them once every 2-3 years and they will run a LONG time!!  Current crop must be disassembled to lube them.....  A FEW have oil ports.  Same for indoor blowers.

Man, I haven't seen any of those little flippy doors for lubricating oil in years. Most of the motors I've seen, the bearings are sealed, if they seize up, then you'll have to replace the motor.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mine hasn't worked after Charley roared through here Friday the 13th. It is FREAKIN hot  too! Oh the light, dishwasher and  well pump is not working either...

I hope and pray that all will be back top normal soon.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oil them once every 2-3 years and they will run a LONG time!!  Current crop must be disassembled to lube them.....  A FEW have oil ports.  Same for indoor blowers.

Man, I haven't seen any of those little flippy doors for lubricating oil in years. Most of the motors I've seen, the bearings are sealed, if they seize up, then you'll have to replace the motor.

The ones that have an oil port have plugs in them not the little flapper door that bigger motor have.

Most are 'sealed' and not oilable mainly because they never got oiled anyway!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The starter capacitor took a dump.

When the A/C in my upstairs went down last summer, the good people at the AR15.com All-Encompassing Hive Mind and Information Clearinghouse vectored me in on the problem: a bad start/run cap. Replacing it myself cost less than just the run charge would have been for the A/C repair guys I had called, and my upstairs was cool again before they even got around to responding to me.

I do remember that dreaded day!

That is only one of the reasons that ARFCOM is the greatest community in the world!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top