Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:31:51 AM EDT
I am writing an application in Asp.Net and I need to decide on a back-end technology.  This will be something I am out of pocket on, and although I own Windows Server 2003 (which gives me IIS/.NET and Share Point services which I need), I am not so enthusiastic about SQL Server's price tag ($6,000 per proc).

The application will be web based, and will contain a workflow engine and a document control engine (with full audit trail and versioning).

The three questions I have are:

1.  Are SQL Server's XML features worth it, considering I am using XML heavily in my application?  I know that I need to see just exactly what is offered in this realm, but if anyone has a thumbs up/down I'd love to hear it.
2.  Are there any other features of SQL Server that make it an obvious choice?
3.  Will a connection to a non-MS server create the need for a bunch of manual coding rather than the nifty way you can just drop a datagrid control (for example) on a page and have it "just work"?

I have looked at Ruby on Rails, Zope, etc., but have decided that the business logic will indeed be in .NET.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
While I generally try to use products like MySql and PHP for what I do, based on what you've said, it sounds like the MS product is the best path - then again, I am not a DBA, rather a SysAdmin.  

I've seen some insane apps using .net run on MS servers with the SQL backend.  Most of the developers that I support swear by it.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
you got IM
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up, "theDave1164".

Looks like the framework and SQL Server are so intertwined that you lose much functionality when you use a different database.

No worries though - my biggest grip was my own license, and I was going to get an MSDN subscription until you told me about the action pack.

At the price this software will sell at, the clients won't care about the $6,000 SQL server license anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top