Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2011 4:48:46 PM EDT
How many people use this site. I found it from another member here. Anybody want to start a friends list?
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I use it daily.

I've hit my weight loss goal and now mainly use it for tracking carbs/pro/fat. It's a very good tool for seeing how "a little of this or one of these" can effect your calorie and nutrient consumption throughout the day/week/month.

swatmed13
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have logged in 57 days in a row.  I'm down 14 pounds with that and P90X.

My username is the same one I use here.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I lost 40 pounds using the iPhone app and website. Haven't picked any of it back up either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Sparky223 over there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I use it almost everyday with the same username.  I mainly use it for tracking calories.  I'm mostly paleo, but I cheat about once a week.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am having issues adjusting to life on the road as far as eating and exercising.

This might be of interest to me.

I was surprised by how often it has the nutritional information for restaurants and fast food joints. I wish it would display more nutritional data fields at once in your food diary (i.e. protein, fat, etc).

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am having issues adjusting to life on the road as far as eating and exercising.

I was surprised by how often it has the nutritional information for restaurants and fast food joints.

Then I will most definitely check it out.

You will be shocked at how "unhealthy" it is to eat fast food everyday.  Pretty hard to eat at a fast food joint and not come out at over a thousand calories.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was surprised by how often it has the nutritional information for restaurants and fast food joints.

Then I will most definitely check it out.

You will be shocked at how "unhealthy" it is to eat fast food everyday.  Pretty hard to eat at a fast food joint and not come out at over a thousand calories.

The sodium content will shock you as well.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Turns out I don't eat enough.  WTF  body going into shock trying to save my food?   I run/swim/something everday and sometimes twice/day.  Guess I never thought about not eating enough.
Edit I'm in   sent some a invite
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
How do you invite by user name? Its asking for email address.

ETA: Nevermind found it
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How do you invite by user name? Its asking for email address.

Make sure you are logged in.

Community>Find Members>Enter username on far right hand side>Add as friend>Profit.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the iPhone app to track calories.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
same username here and there
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#16]
has anyone else found that they vastly overestimate the number of calories burned? it regularly tells me I've burned substantially more calories than my bike computer says.

Example: Last night, I rode 16 miles, and the bike computer had me at about 560 calories, based on my weight/speed/time elapsed.  my fitnesspal says 710 for the same effort.

That being said, it seems pretty accurate as far as the estimate at the end of the day.  When I started a month ago, I was 165'sh, and most of my days said that in 5 weeks, I'd be 155-ish.  I weighed 154 on the scale this morning.
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2011 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
on the site for about 2 months, I use the Droid app, really like it...CDGolden
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody else?
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#20]
been on it for a week now... knj556
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Just signed up. Haven't figured it out yet but I see a lovely barcode scanner. I think I'm going to love this app.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just signed up. Haven't figured it out yet but I see a lovely barcode scanner. I think I'm going to love this app.

If you have any questions just ask.  I think I have the website figured out pretty well, I assume the app isn't much different.

Link Posted: 7/18/2011 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
has anyone else found that they vastly overestimate the number of calories burned? it regularly tells me I've burned substantially more calories than my bike computer says.

Example: Last night, I rode 16 miles, and the bike computer had me at about 560 calories, based on my weight/speed/time elapsed.  my fitnesspal says 710 for the same effort.

That being said, it seems pretty accurate as far as the estimate at the end of the day.  When I started a month ago, I was 165'sh, and most of my days said that in 5 weeks, I'd be 155-ish.  I weighed 154 on the scale this morning.

i noticed that too, i found that the exercises that are in the database are exercises that someone else published based on their BMI.  that being said the bike riding cardio selection you were using was based on someone elses info.  i just make my own exercises based on a seperate site's calculator.

i have been using it since feb and have lost 73 lbs so far.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i noticed that too, i found that the exercises that are in the database are exercises that someone else published based on their BMI.  that being said the bike riding cardio selection you were using was based on someone elses info.  i just make my own exercises based on a seperate site's calculator.

Good job.  That's some serious fat burning.  How much more do you have to go?

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the site? One of the guys and I noticed a few weeks ago that him cutting the grass on a riding mower for an hour burned more calories than his brisk 40 min walk, and that my 15 min of screwing around in the pool is almost the same as intense lifting for half hour.

A more accurate count would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the site? One of the guys and I noticed a few weeks ago that him cutting the grass on a riding mower for an hour burned more calories than his brisk 40 min walk, and that my 15 min of screwing around in the pool is almost the same as intense lifting for half hour.

For about $80 you can buy a heart rate monitor and get your own results.  I have the Polar FT4 and have been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the site i go to to make my own isthis
im not claiming that this is the most accurate but it works for me. if you really want to get it dialed in though get a heart rate monitor like a previous poster suggested. the kind with the chest band are more accurate than the others, but if your looking for a better ballpark...
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been using the site a little over a month. The iphone app is pretty handy. Blaster57 over there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2011 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For about $80 you can buy a heart rate monitor and get your own results.  I have the Polar FT4 and have been very happy with it.

While it's not constant unless you hold your finger to it, I have a free app on my phone that will measure heart rate.

Myfitnesspal is a great app! I love it EXCEPT on my phone it will freeze the whole phone up on occasion which is a pain. Speaking of I need to update yesterday's food. It was my off day and I totally splurged.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Since I made my last post, I have done a substantial amount of reading, bought a heart rate monitor, and started using this calculator for a estimate of how many calories I am burning.  I still think it is a little on the high side, but the equation built into the heart rate monitor, that used by the calculator linked, and the one that is built into my fitness pal all seem to agree pretty closely.  I've been averaging the 3, and plugging in that number to keep track of what i am doing. seems to be working.  I am still dropping about a pound/week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Because of this thread, I started with MFP the last week of July.  I'm down 16 pounds using MFP and Spin class.  EXCELLENT site.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Just started, and am going to need a kick in the ass a few times along the way. My name is the same as my screen name here. I'm going to try and add everyone who posted here.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because of this thread, I started with MFP the last week of July.  I'm down 16 pounds using MFP and Spin class.  EXCELLENT site.

Nice work!

Send me a friend request if you want.  My username is the same one I use here.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't used the site as much as I was.  I'm still doing the same workouts and eating good.  I've just gotten too lazy to use MFP.

This will help get me back into it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Just joined today.......RealEstateCop1
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just joined today.......RealEstateCop1

Nice work, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been using it for a while, since I saw it posted here
I don't log every day but I'm pretty good mon-friday
the psychological aspect is helping me stay on target for my portion size control plan
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I've used it for about a year and really like it. I primarily use the Android App.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I just started using this after seeing this thread last night. So far I love it. I have a question though. It asked for all my initial stuff about what my goals are, what I want to weigh, etc. I said I want to lose a couple pounds, but not very much. So it says the number of calories I need to eat per day, but however many calories I burn exercising it says I need to eat that many more. Wouldn't that mean I'm not cutting any calories and not losing any weight??
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I just started using this after seeing this thread last night. So far I love it. I have a question though. It asked for all my initial stuff about what my goals are, what I want to weigh, etc. I said I want to lose a couple pounds, but not very much. So it says the number of calories I need to eat per day, but however many calories I burn exercising it says I need to eat that many more. Wouldn't that mean I'm not cutting any calories and not losing any weight??

Short answer:

The number in this phrase: "You've earned 600 extra calories from exercise today" and your green number labeled "remaining" at the bottom of your food diary should be close to the same number when you are all done excising and eating for the day.  Your right, if you gobbled up all of those calories left in green, you wouldn't lose any weight.

Long answer:

This is how mine is set up:

With my activity level I need 2,730 calories per day.  My goal is to take in 2,410.  That leaves a deficit of 320 calories per day.  This is where the "remaining" number on the bottom of my food diary comes from.  If I eat enough calories to make the "remaining" number say zero at the end of the day I will have burned 320 more calories than I took in (assuming I really burned 2,730 calories that day working, eating, and breathing).  They say you need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound.  So even if I don't excercise at all and my "remaining" number says zero every day, I will lose 1 pound in about 11 days.

Now let's say I burn 500 calories during my workout that day.  I have in fact burned 820 more calories than I took in that day.  My diary will show that I have 500 calories remaining.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank of the "remaining calories" as a guideline.   It takes like -3500 calories to burn a pound of fat IIRC. The system is set up based on the goals and information you provide. Basically it takes your estimated BMR based on current weight and activity level and subtracts the calories needed to achieve your weekly weight loss goal (1 pound, 2 pounds, etc) and divides by 7, the number of days in the week.  That.is basically the maximum amount of calories you can eat to achieve your goal. Exercising buys you "extra" calories so you can 1.) Eat more or 2.) Lose more weight or achieve your goals quicker.

Basically the program is designed so that if your "remaining calories" are zero you should still.have lost the amount of weight you chose for that week.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How many people use this site. I found it from another member here. Anybody want to start a friends list?

Wife uses it and a body bug.

I use www.fitday.com
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have it. Used it for a while but then sort of stopped. It helped me get a good idea of balancing macro nutrients though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been using it for the last week.

same user name
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks Sparky for the heads-up!

I'm only on Day 2 but I'm really digging the app.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I use the iPhone app to track calories.

I just started doing this 3 days ago. It's an awesome app. Really amazed at all the features and it's free. A girl I work with lost near 100 lbs counting calories and working out. She suggested it.

I had lost 80 up until I wrecked my motorcycle last year and put about 40 back on. I don't remember ever feeling this unhealthy. I started having heart palpitations and went to my Dr. After 2 months of tests and labs, I got an all clear. Jumped right back on the horse. I'm actually amazed at how fast my wind is coming back after only 3 days! It's not where it was when I could hike 5 miles in the mountains and not be the least bit tired, but I'm feeling it come back.

Simple plan...Eat less / Move more
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife uses it and a body bug.

I use www.fitday.com

FITDAY is also pretty nice, I was using the software, not the site (slow and heavy) for about a year and lost about 45 pounds.  I wish they would keep updating it, then I found MYFITNESSPAL with the Apps and switched.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Signed up yesterday. Tontofontenot here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Is this kind of like Livestrongs MyPlate for tracking calorie intake?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top