Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2018 12:39:13 PM EDT
Anybody has one? How do ya like it? He wants to take pictures and vids. He doin graphic design for college.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally don't have one, but I know many people that does, and they are pretty happy with it, though they use it as a fancy P&S camera.

I have heard on ARFCOM that if you have a problem, Sony contracts for repair services and it was not all that great.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anybody has one? How do ya like it? He wants to take pictures and vids. He doin graphic design for college.

Thanks.
View Quote
They're pretty solid with good quality photos.  If he's new to cameras, grab him a copy of Understanding Exposure 4th Edition ($15-20 on Amazon) to cover the basics on learning the camera in manual modes.
Like the Warlord said, Sony warranty work can be spotty to get done.  Their lenses are good, although if you upgrade from E mount cameras to the pro stuff that takes A mount, you need a whole new everything or use adapters.

In the $1000 for a body (not counting lenses) there are a fair number of quality cameras you can get.  In mirrorless you have the other Sony E mount cameras, Olympus OMD line (which I'll admit is a personal favorite of mine) etc.  It really comes down to what features you/he thinks will be needed, lenses, and budget though.  If size isn't being considered, I'd also consider DSLR style cameras from Nikon or Canon, which have a massive after and used market.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys!
View Quote
No problem
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks...and showed him the info, and he is gonna check out the book.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone I work with rented one last weekend and was so impressed that she then purchased one.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They're pretty solid with good quality photos.  If he's new to cameras, grab him a copy of Understanding Exposure 4th Edition ($15-20 on Amazon) to cover the basics on learning the camera in manual modes.
Like the Warlord said, Sony warranty work can be spotty to get done.  Their lenses are good, although if you upgrade from E mount cameras to the pro stuff that takes A mount, you need a whole new everything or use adapters.

In the $1000 for a body (not counting lenses) there are a fair number of quality cameras you can get.  In mirrorless you have the other Sony E mount cameras, Olympus OMD line (which I'll admit is a personal favorite of mine) etc.  It really comes down to what features you/he thinks will be needed, lenses, and budget though.  If size isn't being considered, I'd also consider DSLR style cameras from Nikon or Canon, which have a massive after and used market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm reading that book now and it's very very informative. He posts pictures to illustrate his point and provides exposure data as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Sony's service is the worst I've ever had. They don't have their own in-house service department; they farm it out to Precision Camera which has an awful rating on Google and Yelp. I sent my A7S in for service and to make a long story short, they completely bricked my camera and then refused to repair or replace it. Sony backed them. A manager told me to sell it on eBay for parts and then buy another one. I have a very expensive paperweight thanks to them. In my experience, I'd suggest sticking to Canon or Nikon or possibly Fujifilm cameras.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the peasant version of that camera, A6000, and love it.

Have him get a hot shoe cover and a LCD glass protector.

The Sony camera app sucks for PC, use Photoshop Elements instead.

However the Sony app for your phone is a quick way to transfer over WiFi easily.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sony's service is the worst I've ever had. They don't have their own in-house service department; they farm it out to Precision Camera which has an awful rating on Google and Yelp. I sent my A7S in for service and to make a long story short, they completely bricked my camera and then refused to repair or replace it. Sony backed them. A manager told me to sell it on eBay for parts and then buy another one. I have a very expensive paperweight thanks to them. In my experience, I'd suggest sticking to Canon or Nikon or possibly Fujifilm cameras.
View Quote
Wow, I hope I never have to deal with that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a very easy way to avoid that hassle and waste of money. Don't buy Sony camera equipment.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's a very easy way to avoid that hassle and waste of money. Don't buy Sony camera equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Return period expired 7 days ago for my camera.

Hopefully I don't make a thread on here repeating your exact issue in the future lol

Edit:  I did get the best buy 3yr protection plan.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Someone I work with rented one last weekend and was so impressed that she then purchased one.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys...Ill show him what yous said.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with Nikon or Canon and there will be NO surprises.   Sony's still new to the game and their customer service sucks so far.

Support for Nikon and Canon, in every way,  including, of course, the aftermarket for accessories of all kinds,  is still way above Sony.

Sony MAY have the best image sensors.  But Nikon and Canon make the best cameras and lenses and their customer support is first rate.

You may note that I'm not recommending Nikon or Canon over the other.   I use Nikon but have equal respect for Canon.   They are very much competitors on the same level.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Actually the "Pro" cameras are using the E-Mount.  I recently bought a Sony FS7 MII video camera which starts at $10,000 ($15,000 with what you need) and it along with it's little brother the FS5 use E-Mount lens. My Sony A7s also uses the E-Mount.

I had been looking at the A6500 as a small "B" camera but bought the A7s off our very own EE at a great price.  IMHO the 6500 is a great little camera.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually the "Pro" cameras are using the E-Mount.  I recently bought a Sony FS7 MII video camera which starts at $10,000 ($15,000 with what you need) and it along with it's little brother the FS5 use E-Mount lens. My Sony A7s also uses the E-Mount.

I had been looking at the A6500 as a small "B" camera but bought the A7s off our very own EE at a great price.  IMHO the 6500 is a great little camera.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Huh, Sony shows the A7 series and A6000 series as E mount, but their pro A99, A77, A68, etc, are A mount.  But I never paid much attention to them since we didn't carry much Sony mirrorless in the shop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Huh, Sony shows the A7 series and A6000 series as E mount, but their pro A99, A77, A68, etc, are A mount.  But I never paid much attention to them since we didn't carry much Sony mirrorless in the shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Yes.  A-99, A-77 are certainly A mount as well as earlier models.  The lens support was carried over from Sonys takeover of Minolta (The A mount is a Minolta mount).  I use Minolta glass on my A77II fairly often.

A lot of the Sony interchangeable video equipment is going to E mount. My NEX-VG30 is an E-mount platform as is my A7II and my A7III.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I think a Fuji xt20 or xt2 would be a better buy. Much easier to learn, Much better kit lens.
If I were to be getting a Sony it would be an a7iii but that's probably more than he needs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go with Nikon or Canon and there will be NO surprises.   Sony's still new to the game and their customer service sucks so far.

Support for Nikon and Canon, in every way,  including, of course, the aftermarket for accessories of all kinds,  is still way above Sony.

Sony MAY have the best image sensors.  But Nikon and Canon make the best cameras and lenses and their customer support is first rate.

You may note that I'm not recommending Nikon or Canon over the other.   I use Nikon but have equal respect for Canon.   They are very much competitors on the same level.
View Quote
Perhaps the OPs son doesn't want the standard DSLR body?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

we'll paint me misinformed, I never ever looked at Sony's DSLRs but rather their mirrorless cameras.

I honestly forgot about Sony DSLRs and I NEVER see them in the wild.
I think of the A7RIII or A9 as their "top-of-the-line" camera so you got me there.

For DSLRs I think Canon or Nikon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks again guys for all the good info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
A6500 is a great little camera that shoots fast, has a nice buffer, and does nice video.  I have several Sony cams and have never had an issue with them in 8 years of ownership.  I have heard the horror stories about Precision Camera as well but never needed them.  I am a member of Sony Pro Support and haven’t had to send anything to them yet either so I can’t comment on how they are but they are trying to be service oriented.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top