Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 10:43:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 10:46:43 AM EST by FiftyCalAl]
Well, The father-in-law *who lives nest door* calls and tells me there is a trespassing thief on the flat near the huge garden he has put out. He is past the rifle usage stage due to Parkinsons, so he asks me to hurry and kill the offender. I hurriedly grab my duty M4, guess the range to be at 75 yards (it actually ranged out at 70), mentally calculated the dope from my 25 yard zero (for SWAT) and let loose the projo. The groundhog shuddered and moved 2 feet, shaken, but not properly stirred with a lead stick. I saw the strike hit him mid thorax. (edited) NO pics of trespasser - FIL picked him up and slung him over a fence

As I started to leave, taking the chambered round out and making the rifle safe, I missed my muzzle cap. Then I realized what had happened. Like a dummy, in a hurry, I left the cap on. I know that it really should not disturb accuracy at all, the projo will either punch through it cleanly or the imending air pressure wave in front of the accelerating bullet will push it off, but it just beat up my ego a little to know I wasted $1.25 on a cap and left it in a non-emergency situation. Oh well, confession made

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:49:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:50:40 AM EST
Been there, done that.
Still have two left though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:52:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
thats what they are made for.

they are designed to be disposable and be shot off in the field.

Yup....done it a few times in the rain myself
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:52:32 AM EST
I'd rather waste $1.05 on a plastic cap than put my hand in front of my muzzle under stress. (although I doubt you were under much stress from the rodent.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:56:33 AM EST
You use an A2 flashider
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:56:57 AM EST
I get the red ones 3/$1 at the gun shows and keep a few spares.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:57:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By blacksunshinez51:

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
thats what they are made for.

they are designed to be disposable and be shot off in the field.

Yup....done it a few times in the rain myself

Yeah, I know, but it wasn't raining and I wasn't really 'in the field'. Just goes to show you that I don't train to take off the cap, because when we train it is always off; so the adage "fight as you train-train as you fight" applies. Although, I don't consider the huury to get the rifle and shoot the varmint as a fight, it still proves a point. Just embbarrassing to do under a non-fight condition. I should have removed it on the way to firing position-just a silly neglect.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:58:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
You use an A2 flashider

funny how you can 'tell' , haha
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:59:30 AM EST

Originally Posted By MACD:
I get the red ones 3/$1 at the gun shows and keep a few spares.

not really the 'right' color for tactical operations. Probably would not have seen it anyway, watching varmint as I quickly got in position, the focusing on sights
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:59:38 AM EST
I've never been in a situation where a muzzle cap would have been of any use to me.

*shrug*
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:01:22 AM EST
I believe the muzzle caps are made by "CAP Plug", they sell them in bulk on thier site. Forget the price, but they are more then like only a few nickels each.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:05:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Swindle1984:
I've never been in a situation where a muzzle cap would have been of any use to me.

*shrug*

I only use mine for storage, keeps dust & bugs etc. out of the barrels of rifles I can't afford to shoot as often.

I might use them outdoors if knee-deep in snow or mud but that's a pretty rare occurrence down here.
Top Top