Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 5:17:04 PM EDT
Very informative!

Why Has Our Military Refused to Show This Training Video To Our Troops Now Serving In Iraq?

US ARMY TRAINING VIDEO: [url=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3581.htm][b] Depleted Uranium Hazard Awareness[/b][/url]

Between October and December 1995, the U.S. Army's Depleted Uranium (DU) Project completed a series of training videos and manuals about depleted uranium munitions. This training regimen was developed as the result of recommendations made in the January 1993 General Accounting Office (GAO) report, "Army Not Adequately Prepared to Deal with Depleted Uranium Contamination."

The training materials were intended to instruct servicemen and women about the use and hazards of depleted uranium munitions. In addition, the training regimen included instructions for soldiers who repair and recover vehicles contaminated by depleted uranium.

Throughout 1996, these videos sat on a shelf, while U.S. soldiers continued to use and work with depleted uranium munitions. In June 1997, Bernard Rostker, The Department of Defense (DoD) principle spokesperson for their investigation of Gulf War hazardous exposures, stated that the depleted uranium safety training program would begin to be shared by a limited number of servicemen and women in July 1997.

STILL TODAY the vast majority of servicemen and women in the U.S. military, and likely in the armed forces of other countries which are developing or have obtained depleted uranium munitions, are unaware of the use and dangers of depleted uranium munitions, or of the protective clothing and procedures which can minimize or prevent serious short-term exposures.

Watch the training video: [url]http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3581.htm[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What I think is your site is full of horseshit.

I received my first training in DU hazard in 1988. It became a common training task (CTT) in I think,  1993. To this day soldiers are trained in DU hazards and tested yearly. DU exposure is tracked and watched very closely. I was exposed to DU last year,  (Tank fire) and I'm still being tested every 6 months.

As for the video, I have seen 3 other videos over the years,  all of whom are a heck of a lot better than your example.  I really doubt it's real.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What I think is your site is full of horseshit.
View Quote

In what way?

I received my first training in DU hazard in 1988. It became a common training task (CTT) in I think,  1993. To this day soldiers are trained in DU hazards and tested yearly...
View Quote

You obviously have firsthand knowledge about this topic, which is good, but your statements are consistent with the site you're calling "horseshit."

DU exposure is tracked and watched very closely. I was exposed to DU last year, (Tank fire) and I'm still being tested every 6 months.
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear that. If you don't mind my asking, what are they testing for? Were you told to be on the look out for any particular symptoms?

As for the video, I have seen 3 other videos over the years, all of whom are a heck of a lot better than your example.  I really doubt it's real.
View Quote

It looked real to me. Did you notice anything in the video that was factually incorrect? Thanks for your firsthand input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry,  this just has too much of a tinfoil "Alex Jones" flavor about it,  and there are better threads.

What I am being tested for, along with just about everyone else that was there that day,  is heavy metal exposure. There are other things inside a burning tank aside from DU.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Johninaustin tonight, that video is just a bit "off'. If you've ever sat through an Army trainign video or two you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you using to reference it being a Common Task?  The Common Task Manual that I have dated October 1994 does not have DU hazards/protections as a Common Task.  I was in until 98 and don't remember any CTT on DU.  Not flaming but trying to find out where you referenced it being CTT material.  

jd1
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll pass on the site and the video.  I see no reason to check them out, and your credibility is unestablished with me......
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What are you using to reference it being a Common Task?  The Common Task Manual that I have dated October 1994 does not have DU hazards/protections as a Common Task.  I was in until 98 and don't remember any CTT on DU.  Not flaming but trying to find out where you referenced it being CTT material.  

jd1
View Quote

The DU hazard task was not listed in the CTT manual for years after becoming mandatory. It was a separate subject added after that book had been published. I can personally vouch for it being a tested task annually since 1998, when I was a Platoon Leader.

Still, despite the training, there is still no proof of any long term hazard based on exposure. There are much worse things people get exposed to on the battlefield. It was really more of a "better safe than sorry" measure by the Army. The Reimer Digital Library no doubt has the latest CTT manual, complete with the task in question.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top