Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 2:12:14 PM EDT
My wife works at Office Max and a  middle eastern gentleman came in and bought 8 prepaid cell phones. He stated that he would have bought more, but it was all they had in stock. He also said that he just cleaned out Office Depot of their stock too! Do they use these phones to coordinate dastardly deeds or am I getting the wrong idea . I am not too paranoid , am I ??    maxx
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Draw down, and report him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting....

When my office placed an order for cell phones, we contacted the leading companies in the area (Sprint, Alltel, Cingular) and looked at various plans, and phones. We did not send somebody down to a store to buy up all the (prepay?) phones in stock.

If I were to venture a guess, the phones are probably not going to be used for a legit purpose.

Just my two pennies - YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably gonna 'rent' them to fresh-off-the-boat immigrants.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Earlier this year we sold over 100 prepaid phones to one middle eastern man.  Our register system only allowed like 3 per transaction for some reason too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#7]
this was in the news recently
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
That is just plain scary, not to mention the fact the federal government won't do anything about the Mexican Border.  I live in Yuma Arizona, and the Mexican Army has been conducting incursions on our southern border esepcially here 24 times since 1996.  The other day a Mexican Army Helicopter flew into Arizona and flew around for 20 minutes before returning.  To any other country this is an act of war, however the only way for this problem to be solved is if a U.S. Citizen dies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My wife works at Office Max and a  middle eastern gentleman came in and bought 8 prepaid cell phones. He stated that he would have bought more, but it was all they had in stock. He also said that he just cleaned out Office Depot of their stock too! Do they use these phones to coordinate dastardly deeds or am I getting the wrong idea . I am not too paranoid , am I ??    maxx

Pretty piss poor operational security for a terrorist.

Though why anyone would need a prepaid cell phone I have no idea. We should ban them, for the children.

She should have drawn down on him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I was really considering having her boss call the F.B.I. just to check and see what if anything they would do.      maxx
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to work at an OfficeMax, it was not Un-Common for a person to come in and buy us out of all of our Pre-Paid Trac-Phones. Had a black dude who has Tax Exempt Numbers for 6 different states, he'd come in and clean us out. I asked why they buy so many, apparently for some kind of charity. They always paid in cash, too. Who knows. I don't think there's anything suspicious to it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#12]

We really don't need to mention any odd behavior by muslims until AFTER the next attack.  It will take until then to not be called a racist for speaking to anyone about odd purchases/behavior.  Even then the ACLU and many other "tolerant" folks will be defending them as WE are the real problem, not them. IBTL&B
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was probably an ACLU mole trying to bait people into harrassing him.    

If thise story is true, then I would be suspicious.
But then again, if he is declaring it loudly, I doubt it's anything nasty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Im pretty sure prepaid cellphones can be used in bombs and for bomb detinating.

I've never tried it and wont go into details but somewhere along the way I picked up it can be used for that, and it makes sense IMO.

Report him.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see it as odd.  A lot of the people of middle eastern descent in my area have huge families, and the kids at the schools I've gone to all have cell phones.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've never tried it and wont go into details but somewhere along the way I picked up it can be used for that, and it makes sense IMO.

Report him.

you should probably keep that top secret info on the down low, if you know what I mean
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Report him.

yeap. Perfect for IEDs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I would have detained him and called the local FBI, let them figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#19]

I would have detained him and called the local FBI, let them figure it out.

And you would have gotten sued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top