Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2010 3:04:24 AM EDT
(CNN) –– A major Islamic group will announce an initiative Thursday to distribute 200,000 Qurans to replace what it says are 200 copies that a Florida church plans to burn in a gesture that has sparked controversy worldwide. The Rev. Terry Jones, pastor of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, said he will go ahead with plans to burn Qurans on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Jones' plan comes amid increased pressure and warnings that doing so could endanger U.S. troops and Americans worldwide.

On Wednesday, the Vatican joined a chorus of groups imploring the church not to burn Islam's holy book, saying it would be an "outrageous and grave gesture."

The president of the General Assembly also expressed concern about the planned Quran burning. Ali Abdussalam Treki said it will "lead to uncontrollable reactions" and spark tension worldwide.

Earlier this week, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, warned that the plan "could cause significant problems" for American troops overseas. Despite the growing pressure, Jones has rejected the pleas, saying his message targets radical Islamists.

"The general needs to point his finger to radical Islam and tell them to shut up, tell them to stop, tell them that we will not bow our knees to them," Jones said on CNN's "AC360."

"We are burning the book," Jones said. "We are not killing someone. We are not murdering people."

In response, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim civil liberties and advocacy group, plans to hold a news conference in Washington on Thursday to address the issue. The group's "Learn, Don't Burn" initiative includes the distribution of of 200,000 Qurans and other activities planned for Friday and Saturday.

"This educational initiative is designed for those who seek a proactive and constructive response to the church's very un-American actions," said Nihad Awad, CAIR national executive director.

"The tiny group of extremists carrying out the book burnings clearly do not represent our society or its values and have been repudiated by all mainstream religious and political leaders."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is one of the few public officials who defended Jones' right to go ahead, even as he condemned the idea as "distasteful."

"I don't think he would like if somebody burned a book that in his religion he thinks is holy. ... But the First Amendment protects everybody, and you can't say that we are going to apply the First Amendment to only those cases where we are in agreement," Bloomberg said, citing the section of the Constitution that promises freedom of speech.

The planned action has drawn sharp criticism worldwide.

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation, which is dedicated to protecting U.S. troops from religious intolerance, has promised to buy one new Quran and donate it to the Afghan National Army for each one burned in Florida.

Petraeus has warned that the burning will endanger the lives of the 120,000 U.S. and NATO-led troops still battling al Qaeda and its allies in the Islamic fundamentalist Taliban movement.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/09/florida.quran.burning/?hpt=C2

Better start buying more Qurans there Rev. Jones...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#1]
So what will happen, a guy shows up and says, "Uh yeah, I uh... burned my Koran, can I have a replacement please?"
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
(CNN) –– A major Islamic group will announce an initiative Thursday to distribute 200,000 Qurans to replace what it says are 200 copies that a Florida church plans to burn in a gesture that has sparked controversy worldwide. The Rev. Terry Jones, pastor of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, said he will go ahead with plans to burn Qurans on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Jones' plan comes amid increased pressure and warnings that doing so could endanger U.S. troops and Americans worldwide.

Yay!

Let's poke the bee hive with a stick!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay!

I dont know if your joking, being sarcastic or supporting the distribution of Qurans...
and though I am not a beleiver in book burning and dont support the "Rev Jones" he has a right to make his statment, period.
WE are FREE AMERICANS and WE do not bend to the will , threat, implications of anyone over anything. The threat of violence should be met with a doubled amount of
threat against it.
there is only one way to handle a bully after the talking has failed to work..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
And now, all of a sudden, you can't find one anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:33:26 AM EDT
[#5]
200,000 Korans?

Where are the environmentalists! Do you realize how many trees that will kill?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
This whole book burning is kind of silly and in bad taste.

The response is mind blowingly fucking stupid!!!!!!!! Enough with this God damn "apease everyone" crap. A few guys are going to burn a few books, and the pope and the head of the UN decide to fucking get involved with this whole "You might offend the muslims" bullshit. Fuck them. It may be in bad taste, but the reaction....well, it makes me wants to go out to buy a koran and some lighter fluid. This whole "You've got to not offend the rest of the world" shit is fucking out of control. Go ahead and offend the fuckers who were out celebrating in the streets when thousands of innocent people were killed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This whole book burning is kind of silly and in bad taste.

The response is mind blowingly fucking stupid!!!!!!!! Enough with this God damn "apease everyone" crap. A few guys are going to burn a few books, and the pope and the head of the UN decide to fucking get involved with this whole "You might offend the muslims" bullshit. Fuck them. It may be in bad taste, but the reaction....well, it makes me wants to go out to buy a koran and some lighter fluid. This whole "You've got to not offend the rest of the world" shit is fucking out of control. Go ahead and offend the fuckers who were out celebrating in the streets when thousands of innocent people were killed.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as the book being burned is the property of the burner, I don't see a problem. It is their property. Not my thing, though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#9]
This is awesome, and I wish eveyone here would buy a copy and READ the blasted thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]
200,000 more of them. Maybe next month the good reverend can have a bigger fire.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]
the thing that is ironic in this whole thing is the "reasons" why everyone is opposed to the burning.. its not logical reasons like burning books makes you look like a tool, or whats the point other than burning some books and making people have no respect for you. Its all fear based, using words like "dangerous", and retaliation and sparking violence if he does it, if islam is peaceful then now is a good chance for them to show it by simply ignoring the guy and saying let him do it we dont care its his right..but when people are cowering in fear because of what the muslims might do if the qurans are burned it  justifies what the guy is doing and is actually proving him right.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#12]
But they are so tolerant and peaceful. Why would this endanger troops and Americans abroad?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It will just give the radicals another reason for retribution.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The FBI is now chiming in on this event.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To what tune?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To what tune?

Probably hate crime BS.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay!

The more pop out the easier they are to kill
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
200,000 more of them. Maybe next month the good reverend can have a bigger fire.

Smores??????? He is a douche though
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
<CoC>
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
this is the koran  so burn it
5-33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;
8-67. It is not fitting for an apostle that he should have prisoners of war until he hath thoroughly subdued the land. Ye look for the temporal goods of this world; but Allah looketh to the Hereafter: And Allah is Exalted in might, Wise.

68. Had it not been for a previous ordainment from Allah, a severe penalty would have reached you for the (ransom) that ye took.

69. But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good: but fear Allah. for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

9-5. But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Fucking retarded.

Who's Korans are they going to replace? Barnes & Nobles? Borders?

I'm going to make a donation to Gideons on that day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

But they are so tolerant and peaceful. Why would this endanger troops and Americans abroad?

Because Katie Couric says so.  

Do any of you remember the Nick Berg video?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the thing that is ironic in this whole thing is the "reasons" why everyone is opposed to the burning.. its not logical reasons like burning books makes you look like a tool, or whats the point other than burning some books and making people have no respect for you. Its all fear based, using words like "dangerous", and retaliation and sparking violence if he does it, if islam is peaceful then now is a good chance for them to show it by simply ignoring the guy and saying let him do it we dont care its his right..but when people are cowering in fear because of what the muslims might do if the qurans are burned it  justifies what the guy is doing and is actually proving him right.

dude.. punctuation... seriously...

That ^ being said..

The entire fiasco is is undeniable confirmation the radicals have/or are winning.  Is it not the express intent of a radical terrorist to control the gen pop by instilling fear thru the threat/acts of violence? I beleive it is...

By cowering to these radicals threats they have won.  Pure and simple, they advance thier agenda, which is to control us. Why can't people see this..?

They burn in effigy our leaders, they defile and denounce our very core values.  They attack and seek to kill our citizens and soldiers.... because we don't bow to their twisted system of justice and totalitarian rule.  Their entire existance is based on either enslaving or exterminating us. This is very clearly illustrated in a book containing the rantings of a madman. They choose the manifesto of a seriously mentally disturbed fuedal warlord as a religion and claim to be the religion of peace... I offer that the two are mutually exclusive of each other.

Yet, there are those.. even on this website who will defend them while denying American Citizens our Constitutional protections to embrace and practice the religion of our own choosing.

By burning the books, the "minister" is bringing a fever pitched interest in this disparity... and I for one have no issues with his method of doing so....

I do not cower in the face of oppression, but rather stand for freedom and the core values of our founding fathers.

I say we get down to the nut-cutting... let the raggies bring it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:28 AM EDT
[#24]
If they are gonna be giving them away I hear there is a church group in Florida that could use some....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is awesome, and I wish eveyone here would buy a copy and READ the blasted thing.

They don't need to , they learned everything it said on 9-11
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#27]
The sooner we bring this bullshit to a head the better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If they are gonna be giving them away I hear there is a church group in Florida that could use some....

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't need to , they learned everything it said on 9-11

Explain.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe some kind of conveyor belt arrangement could be worked out.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Self edit COC violation

I hate it when Mods are doing their jobs around here
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Earlier this week, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, warned that the plan "could cause significant problems" for American troops overseas.

I haven't yet heard the good general say that distributing 200,000 korans will make things 1000 times better for our troops than burning 200 although I almost expect it with the political correctness run amok these days.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Earlier this week, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, warned that the plan "could cause significant problems" for American troops overseas.

I haven't yet heard the good general say that distributing 200,000 korans will make things 1000 times better for our troops than burning 200 although I almost expect it with the political correctness run amok these days.

The good general is saying what the CIC tells him to say.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#34]
You can get a free copy of the book from these people:

http://www.freequran.com/html/order.htm

http://www.freekoran.com/form.php

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#35]
If the American Flag was being burned, would the Vatican and the U.N. voice their disapproval?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It will just give the radicals another reason for retribution.

Maybe if we just roll over and submit to them then they won't have any reason for retribution and everything will be fine.

Sometimes things have to be brought to a head. Burn them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If the American Flag was being burned, would the Vatican and the U.N. voice their disapproval?

and the POTUS?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That's the best statement I've seen on this yet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ^ being said..

The entire fiasco is is undeniable confirmation the radicals have/or are winning.  Is it not the express intent of a radical terrorist to control the gen pop by instilling fear thru the threat/acts of violence? I beleive it is...

By cowering to these radicals threats they have won.  Pure and simple, they advance thier agenda, which is to control us. Why can't people see this..?

They burn in effigy our leaders, they defile and denounce our very core values.  They attack and seek to kill our citizens and soldiers.... because we don't bow to their twisted system of justice and totalitarian rule.  Their entire existance is based on either enslaving or exterminating us. This is very clearly illustrated in a book containing the rantings of a madman. They choose the manifesto of a seriously mentally disturbed fuedal warlord as a religion and claim to be the religion of peace... I offer that the two are mutually exclusive of each other.

Yet, there are those.. even on this website who will defend them while denying American Citizens our Constitutional protections to embrace and practice the religion of our own choosing.

By burning the books, the "minister" is bringing a fever pitched interest in this disparity... and I for one have no issues with his method of doing so....

I do not cower in the face of oppression, but rather stand for freedom and the core values of our founding fathers.

hence kind of my point, and yes i did have punctuation fail this morning
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#40]
They could keep them in these:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#41]
somewhere out there  is a Quran salesmans bathing in whores with the money this is making him,.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ^ being said..

hence kind of my point, and yes i did have punctuation fail this morning

I wasn't baggin' on ya man.. I was agreeing
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder what Muslims would think of someone deleting a digital copy of the Qur'an? Download it from some place on the internet, then just delete it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Coordinated ARFCOM group burn?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder what Muslims would think of someone deleting a digital copy of the Qur'an? Download it from some place on the internet, then just delete it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Fine by me. Passing out new copies is a sane, reasonable, and nonviolent response to the burning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Someone should figure out how to burn the replacements –– maybe next year on 9/11?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You can get a free copy of the book from these people:

http://www.freequran.com/html/order.htm

http://www.freekoran.com/form.php

Done.

Thanks 44 regular
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fine by me. Passing out new copies is a sane, reasonable, and nonviolent response to the burning.

This is correct.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

To what tune?

Probably hate crime BS.

Yup
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top