Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 1:38:33 AM EDT
I was under the impression that Christian kids were not allowed to even pray silently before eating

Muslim Parents Gain Momentum in Schools
WAYNE PARRY
Associated Press Writer
September 3, 2005
www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-muslim-friendly-schools,0,3459058.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines
CLIFFSIDE PARK, N.J. -- Yasmeen Elsamra had a simple request: While her classmates were eating lunch, she wanted to go off by herself for a few moments to pray.

The 14-year-old was told she couldn't, and went home distraught that afternoon in October 2003. Praying five times a day is a cornerstone of her Muslim faith.

"If I wasn't allowed to pray my second prayer at school, I couldn't do it at home," she said. "When school finishes, the third prayer begins."

Her family contacted a Muslim advocacy group, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which asked the school district to reconsider. Eventually, the district acknowledged it had no policy preventing a student from praying on his or her own during free time, and allowed Yasmeen to use an empty classroom to unfurl her prayer rug, face Mecca and touch her head to the floor in a few moments of worship.

Her case was part of a nationwide grassroots effort by Muslim parents to make public schools more friendly and accommodating to Muslim students. The movement has gained strength since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"The reality for many Muslim students in public schools is very difficult," said Ingrid Mattson, vice president of the Islamic Society of North America. "It's highly stressful."

She said her children were sometimes taunted in their Connecticut school district.

"The kids will say `Hey Osama, do you have a bomb? Are you going to blow us up?'" she said. "My daughter has had people try to pull her head scarf off, or say `What are you doing with that rag on your head?' But they have also had friends who defended them."

Noor Ennab, a fifth-grader who attends the private Muslim Al-Noor School in New York City, said she was driven out of her public school by post-Sept. 11 harassment.

"Before that (the 2001 terror attacks) happened, we were treated so kind," she said. "Now it's like, 'You're a terrorist; get out of this country.'"

Older students also have had problems. Debra Mason of Jersey City dropped out of Fairleigh Dickinson University's nursing program after she said she was told to remove her head covering during patient rounds. The New Jersey civil rights division recently found probable cause to proceed with an investigation into whether the school violated her rights. The school declined to comment.

Some school districts are starting to take notice. A zero-tolerance policy on harassment of Muslim students was adopted by Florida's Broward County school board in March 2003, just before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

In February, Muslim community leaders led the Pledge of Allegiance at a San Antonio high school as part of a daylong conference on Islam.

Paterson, N.J., home of the state's largest Arab-American community, lets some students out of class early Fridays to attend prayers with their parents' permission, and is one of a handful of New Jersey districts that closes schools for Eid-al-Fitr, a Muslim religious holiday.

"You're seeing a lot of schools becoming more sensitive this way," said Michael Yaple, a spokesman for the New Jersey School Boards Association.

Bassima Mustafa, a civics teacher in Paterson, said it is crucial that students feel comfortable and welcome in the classroom.

"A majority of our students are immigrants or the children of immigrants," she said. "It's going to spread as the population increases."

But despite a large Muslim student population in Baltimore, the school board voted 10-0 earlier this year against a proposal to add Eid to the school holiday calendar.

That disappointed Samira Hussein, a parent of four and an educator who helped nudge the Montgomery County school district in Maryland toward a more inclusive curriculum. She and others got the district to send teachers and administrators to annual Ramadan celebrations marking the holiest month of the Muslim calendar.

The teachers ate lunch at the celebrations and spoke to parents and students about Islam and how it intersects with the school day, particularly what it feels like to fast while other children eat. Now, her kids and other fasting Muslim students may sit at a cafeteria table doing homework, playing games or just talking during lunch.

That's the kind of simple accommodation that Aliya Rohani wishes every Muslim student could have.

"I don't want to be hated by other people," said Rohani, who attends the Al-Noor School in Brooklyn, N.Y., and said she was harassed by non-Muslims after 9/11. "I didn't do anything wrong. I would go home to my mom and cry. I started saying, `No, I'm not Arabic.' But I don't want to deny who I am."
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
A Muslim does not a terrorist make.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"I was under the impression that Christian kids were not allowed to even pray silently before eating"

I was further under the impression that the article, thread title and my statement at the top
were all related to prayer in schools and a question regarding THAT topic, did I miss something?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]

..... A zero-tolerance policy on harassment of Muslim students was adopted by Florida's Broward County school board.......

Now if they would adopt a zero-tolerance policy on athiest harassment of Christians.
Oh, yea. I forgot. Christians need to be put in their place and kept there.
Because the all the worlds problems were caused by them                                          
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Christians can pray on schools, it just can't be faculty led.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

damn it stop bringing facts into this aurgument!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I remember something about a kids lips moving while he was praying silently
before eating and the teacher told him he was not allowed to do that............
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

But Islam cranks out craploads of terrorists. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:13:03 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in school we said the Pledge every morning
and we also sang the National Anthem(don't remember how often)

If they no longer do those things
I wonder if the year they stopped
was also the year that the schools
started having major problems
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:14:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, now where are you guys when I post the terrorist threads?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#11]
i think the best private spot for muslims to pray would be in the stalls of the bathroom. other wise if my kids saw them praying  they would be offended
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
They are slowly taking over. Keep watching, it will happen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#13]

but

but

but

Seperation of Church and State
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, now where are you guys when I post the terrorist threads?

I moved this to the religion forum before I realized you started the thread intending to trash talk muslims.  

My mistake.

Actually, it was aimed at school administrators
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top