Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 11:17:34 AM EDT
Mostly abliques.  How do you get them to stop?  I keep myself well hydrated, eat a balanced diet, take a multi vitamin every day, but still I get cramps in my sides.  Mostly in the morning.  They've even woken me up from a dead sleep.  Anybody else experience this?  Did you find anything to help?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It is possible you aren't getting enough sodium/potassium/etc(electrolytes). People who use their bodies tend to need more of things than the nutritional guidelines on food labels indicate.

I haven't been having as much sodium(haven't bought any deli meats and wasn't really using any hot sauce) as usual these last two weeks or so and noticed more cramping. I usually don't cramp at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is possible you aren't getting enough sodium/potassium/etc(electrolytes). People who use their bodies tend to need more of things than the nutritional guidelines on food labels indicate.

I haven't been having as much sodium(haven't bought any deli meats and wasn't really using any hot sauce) as usual these last two weeks or so and noticed more cramping. I usually don't cramp at all.
View Quote

Excellent point but this is a new thing and it's odd.  Living in the desert I'm very aware of keeping myself hydrated.  Even with that, things pop up out of the blue that need immediate attention.  For instance, I was on the freeway last summer and hit a rock which blew out my tire.  In the heat of the day even the little task of changing a tire got me to the point of muscle cramping dehydration.  When I got home I grabbed a bottle of water, dumped some salt into it and slammed it.  Cramps were almost instantly gone.  But like I said, this situation is new in that my diet hasn't changed nor my regular routine, I simply am having cramping issue all of a sudden.  But now that I think about it, maybe the no change is the problem.  I guess I might NEED to change my diet/routine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you drink alot of coffee during the day? Do you exercise in the morning? How much alcohol do you consume.

These are all factors that can increase my chances of cramping. Morning training or cardio will cause me to cramp more during the day when at work. This, combined with a couple cups of coffee will almost assuredly give me cramps.

This electrolyte powder has helped tremendously. A guy at my local running store turned me onto it. Now I put it in almost everything.

http://www.vitalyte.com/products/electrolyte-replacement.html

Gatorade is really nothing more than sugar water so I would look for a good electrolyte drink if you can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Exercise exclusively in the morning.  I cup of coffee/day, right before exercise on those days.  Might have to give the powder a try, thanks.  

I had a horrible thought that it may just be another side affect of getting older.  While my intake hasn't changed, it's highly likely my body's needs have changed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You need Taurine (and maybe magnesium).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top