Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2007 1:35:13 AM EDT
Sooooo.........what was their policy on gun control again?

THESE are the people telling US how to run OUR country?

Seems like there is some irony in there.......somewhere

Murders and kidnappings hit record levels in Mexico
McClatchy Newspapers
Tucson, Arizona
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/news/202639.php
MEXICO CITY — Gangland-style murders and kidnappings reached record levels in Mexico during the first half of the year, a new report from Mexico's congress has found, making Mexico one of the world's most dangerous countries.

One analyst who worked on the report said Mexico's murder rate now tops all others in the Western Hemisphere.

"In a global context, we suffer from more homicides … than any other region in the world except for certain regions on the African continent,"
said Eduardo Rojas, who helped put together the crime report at the Center for Social and Public Opinion Studies, a research arm of the Mexico's Chamber of Deputies.

The report, made public last week, was a setback for Mexican President Felipe Calderón, whose tough new war on drug trafficking has sent thousands of troops into the countryside and a record number of drug suspects to the United States for trial.

According to the report, major federal crimes, which include homicides, kidnappings and arms trafficking, rose 25 percent in the first half of 2007 over the same period last year. In 2006, the same crimes had risen 22 percent over 2005.

Gangland-style executions have risen 155 percent since 2001, according to the congressional report.

Crime has been on the rise in Mexico for a decade as drug cartels battle for control of lucrative smuggling routes.

But the new findings come at a politically charged time for the Calderón administration, which is also confronting a new threat from an old foe — the shadowy Popular Revolutionary Army or EPR, its Spanish acronym.
EPR's coordinated bombings of natural-gas pipelines in July and September have exposed government intelligence failures and the vulnerability of the petroleum infrastructure in Mexico, the second-largest oil exporter to the United States.

"The reality is the government has been pursuing the top EPR leaders for at least five years, and they haven't been able to catch them," said Mexican political commentator Raymundo Riva Palacio.

Experts believe the EPR, a Marxist group that traces its origins to the guerrilla movements of the 1970s, finances its activities with ransom from kidnapped businessmen.

The guerrillas say the attacks will continue until authorities release two comrades who disappeared in Oaxaca in May; state and federal officials say they're not in government custody.

The group's reach appears to be countrywide. The first blasts struck multiple locations in central Mexico. The second set hit coastal Veracruz.
On Wednesday, security was beefed up around pipelines in northern Chihuahua state after EPR graffiti appeared on installations there.
Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora recently told reporters that the guerrilla bombings "distract" authorities from their battle against organized crime.

Gangland-style executions have surged, with the report counting 1,588 in the first half of 2007. For the full year of 2001, there were 1,080 such crimes, the report said.

Kidnapping is a multimillion-dollar industry in Mexico. The report from Congress indicates there are about 4,500 kidnappings a year, about a third of which are reported.

Greg Bangs, head of the kidnapping and ransom unit at the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, said Mexico has rocketed past Colombia to become the world's ransom capital.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:43:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One analyst who worked on the report said Mexico's murder rate now tops all others in the Western Hemisphere.

I thought that prize went to Columbia?  Per capita, at least...
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexico has rocketed past Colombia to become the world's ransom capital

Not according to their report, and it does look like
they are number one in more than one area now
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Crime has been on the rise in Mexico for a decade
as drug cartels battle for control of lucrative smuggling routes.

Lucrative smuggling routes into the U.S.A., Great!!

And, OUR .Mil isn't there because it is "insulting" to our "friends and neighbors" to the south?

I wonder if the mass corruption of THEIR .gov by drug cartels is now present in OUR .gov?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have trouble believing that anywhere in mexico is as bad as columbia or brazil...

... of course the last time I was there was in the late 80s.

I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have trouble believing that anywhere in mexico is as bad as columbia or brazil...

I may be wrong.

Their congress might just be trying to make their president look bad
I don't think the majority likes him too much, but this seems like it
also reflects on them, especially since they have been there longer
OTOH, I imagine that both countries have changed since the 80s
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]

MEXICO CITY — Gangland-style murders and kidnappings reached record levels in Mexico during the first half of the year, a new report from Mexico's congress has found, making Mexico one of the world's most dangerous countries.

You Damn Racist........................you just don't understand their "culture"!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And, OUR .Mil isn't there because it is "insulting" to our "friends and neighbors" to the south?

I wonder if the mass corruption of THEIR .gov by drug cartels is now present in OUR .gov?

you better beleive it
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mexico has rocketed past Colombia to become the world's ransom capital

Not according to their report, and it does look like
they are number one in more than one area now

I just read a report a week ago saying Columbia was #1 in the world.  I'll see if I can find the link.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#9]
ever see Man on Fire
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#10]

I believe if we knew HALF of the real corruption that goes on in our FedGov.gov that the Messican.gov would be jealous!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I may be wrong.

It has gotten significantly worse.

Fox gutted Mexico's internal security infrastructure, which is only slightly referred to in this article.  It's a huge issue right now in Mexico's politics, trying got recover that capability, while dealing with fucks like Obrador.

That, and the inability of the US Congress to resolves the immigration mess, in conjunction with the unwillingness of the Mexican govt. to accept that their perpetuation of the immigration mess has facilitated the drug trafficking routes.

We need to either implement a guest worker program or shut the fucking border down solid.  The status quo is unsustainable.

As long as the demand for both the illegal drugs and the illegal labor continues here in the US, the supply will continue, however.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I believe if we knew HALF of the real corruption that goes on in our FedGov.gov that the Messican.gov would be jealous!!!

I think we do know about half the corruption here, when a congressman keeps
$90,000 in his freezer you can bet that it is not all the money he "got" on the job

And, I don't think he was a particularly successful congressman
just think about the "nest egg" that kennedy probably has stashed
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Our .gov doesn't need rug cartels to be corrupt.  Consider the case a few years back where US Customs agents were found to be helping a transporter/dealer load coke from his plane into his truck (& letting him go on his merry way) as part of an arrangement to get inside information on the cartel.

Yeah..."War on Drugs" & all that horsesh!t.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

doesnt look like Mexico is anywhere near the top... even for latin America..

on another note, Venezuela #1!!!, viva la chavez revoluzion!
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Impossible.  Mexico has very strict gun control laws.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

doesnt look like Mexico is anywhere near the top... even for latin America..

on another note, Venezuela #1!!!, viva la chavez revoluzion!

That page seems to stop before the time frame described in this article
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, this report has not been challenged by anyone(even calderon)

It seems that we are living next to a very dangerous country

coming soon to a neighborhood near you
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Army-Drug Gang Shootout Leaves 15 Dead in Mexico
E FLux Media
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Army_Drug_Gang_Shootout_Leaves_15_Dead_in_Mexico_09363.html
October 5th 2007
Diane Smith
A shootout between armed forces and drug smugglers in the Mexican city of Tampico on Friday left 15 people dead and 10 wounded in the north-eastern state of Tamaulipas, local media reported.

The Army raided the area inhabited by the criminals and seized 20 tons of cocaine, radio and online press reported. Tampico city is the home to the Gulf Cartel, one of the two most powerful Mexican drug gangs.

The clash between the soldiers and traffickers wasn’t immediately confirmed by the National Defense Ministry or the public prosecutor's office.

The only official who mentioned the operation was none other than the Mexican President Felipe Calderon who talked about it in a speech in Ciudad Victoria. He was set to visit the town just a few hours after the raid took place.

"We have doubled the efforts to make the law prevail in Mexico with ... actions and interventions like those that happened recently, I can say today (Friday), in the state of Tamaulipas," Calderon said.

The drug-related violence has reached very high levels in the north-eastern Mexican state. At least 2,000 people have been killed this year alone in quarrels between the rival gangs.

Ninety percent of cocaine entering the US comes through Mexico so John Walters, the top White House official in charge of anti-drug efforts, was very pleased with the Mexican authorities and praised them for their efforts to fight the cartels that supply the white powder.

Since he began his term as Mexico’s president, Felipe Calderon sent about 30,000 troops and federal police across the country to deal with the drug gangs. Although this method was seen with skepticism at first, it seems to be the right path to follow.

The price of the white powder in 37 US cities rose since March and the purity of it has dropped by 11% over the same period showing that the traffickers are diluting their dwindling stocks to stretch it further and meet demand.

"After 25 years of cocaine coming into the United States, there has never been the kind of disruption of this magnitude for this long," Mr Walters, who also released the figures above mentioned, said.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

"After 25 years of cocaine coming into the United States, there has never been the kind of disruption of this magnitude for this long," Mr Walters, who also released the figures above mentioned, said.

Keep up the pressure Calderon.  Some of us appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
We need to move them all here so they become hard working Americans...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder how many of the killers are coming here to "start a new life"  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep up the pressure Calderon.  Some of us appreciate it.

Is he attacking ALL of the known cartels.....or just some of them? I guess we'll see
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
E FLux Media
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Army_Drug_Gang_Shootout_Leaves_15_Dead_in_Mexico_09363.html
October 5th 2007
Diane Smith
A shootout between armed forces and drug smugglers in the Mexican city of Tampico on Friday left 15 people dead and 10 wounded in the north-eastern state of Tamaulipas, local media reported.

The Army raided the area inhabited by the criminals and seized 20 tons of cocaine, radio and online press reported. Tampico city is the home to the Gulf Cartel, one of the two most powerful Mexican drug gangs.

The clash between the soldiers and traffickers wasn’t immediately confirmed by the National Defense Ministry or the public prosecutor's office.

The only official who mentioned the operation was none other than the Mexican President Felipe Calderon who talked about it in a speech in Ciudad Victoria. He was set to visit the town just a few hours after the raid took place.

"We have doubled the efforts to make the law prevail in Mexico with ... actions and interventions like those that happened recently, I can say today (Friday), in the state of Tamaulipas," Calderon said.

The drug-related violence has reached very high levels in the north-eastern Mexican state. At least 2,000 people have been killed this year alone in quarrels between the rival gangs.

Ninety percent of cocaine entering the US comes through Mexico so John Walters, the top White House official in charge of anti-drug efforts, was very pleased with the Mexican authorities and praised them for their efforts to fight the cartels that supply the white powder.

Since he began his term as Mexico’s president, Felipe Calderon sent about 30,000 troops and federal police across the country to deal with the drug gangs. Although this method was seen with skepticism at first, it seems to be the right path to follow.

The price of the white powder in 37 US cities rose since March and the purity of it has dropped by 11% over the same period showing that the traffickers are diluting their dwindling stocks to stretch it further and meet demand.

Holy shit, 20 tons of cocaine? That is roughly 18140 kilos, the the street value was 15,000 each kilo that is $272,100,000. That is fucking crazy, just imagine how much money the "drug lords" who don't get caught have...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
E FLux Media
October 5th 2007
Diane Smith

Holy shit, 20 tons of cocaine? That is roughly 18140 kilos, the the whole sale value was 15,000 each kilo that is $272,100,000.If it was cut down to street quality and sold for 100 bucks a gram that is $3,428,460,000. That is fucking crazy, just imagine how much money the "drug lords" who don't get caught have...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Thats what happens when sheep get positions of power, they are very corruptable and the right thing becomes whatever they want, or whoever pays them for it.
Honor, duty, justice, equality, and law mean nothing to these people.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
3 burned, headless bodies found in Acapulco
Source: Houston Chronicle
Oct 8, 2007
AP
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5198145.html
ACAPULCO, Mexico — Mexican police found the remains of three men who had been decapitated outside the Pacific coast resort of Acapulco on Monday.

The remains were found near a highway that leads west out of Acapulco, where the bodies had been set ablaze, according to a report by the state medical examiner's office. The victims were between 25 years old and 30, but had not yet been identified.

No motive was immediately established, but Acapulco has been the scene of bloody turf battles between drug gangs in recent years, including shootouts and grisly killings.

Leading newspapers keeping count say 1,800 to 1,900 people have been killed in Mexico in drug violence so far this year — hundreds more than in all of 2006. Prosecutors say drug-related killings peaked at more than 300 per month in March, but say they have declined since then.

Since taking office in December, Mexican President Felipe Calderon has sent more than 24,000 troops to areas plagued by drug violence and has called the war against trafficking and other crimes his top priority.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top