Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/13/2017 3:25:09 PM EDT
I know a thread has been made on the trial of Mike Strickland in Portland, Oregon;  But here is an update:

This is a synopsis/response from OFF:

By now many of you know that Mike Strickland, a pro-gun, freelance journalist was convicted of  21 counts of self defense on Friday, Feb.10.
Strickland had been attacked by a mob in Portland while covering a "Black Lives Matter" protest. The attack was planned and coordinated in advance.
You can read more about it here. Victoria Taft has done an outstanding job of documenting the attack and the trial and you can see that here.
In truth, Mike was convicted the moment he was arrested by Portland Police for defending himself against the same kind of mobsters who have trashed Portland repeatedly.  Their criminal actions are rarely punished by a county "Justice System " that encourages rioting and looting but creates political prisoners of people who attempt to defend themselves from criminal attack.
From the moment he was arraigned it was clear the fix was in. As soon as the D.A.'s office in Multnomah County realized who Mike was, they began to assure he would never get a fair trial. And they succeeded.

Mike's bail was set at an astonishing and unprecedented quarter of a million dollars!

The D.A.'s office made open and absurd accusations about him to the press. They said he was a "white nationalist" and a "racist." All of it was lies. But what would you expect from a county whose D.A. is a rabid advocate for gun restrictions?  D.A. Rod Underhill has testified in favor of gun control bills in Salem and is a proud member of an anti-gun prosecutor's organization.
Multnomah County is also home to Judge Kenneth Walker who said (in open court) "If I could I would take all the guns in America, put them on big barges and go dump them in the ocean. Nobody would have a gun. Not police, not security, not anybody. We should eliminate all of them."

All complaints about Walker's clear bias against the Constitutions of the United States and Oregon were dismissed. Oregon's Commission on Judicial Fitness found nothing wrong with Walker's outburst.
When it came time to seat a jury it became clear very quickly that the chances of getting impartial jurists in Multnomah County were almost zero. Only two of the potential jurors believed it was ok to have a firearm for self protection. Both would be eliminated by the prosecutors.  Michael's lawyers made the decision to dispense with the jury and opted for a bench trial. They understood their only hope was a fair and honest judge.  They hoped for too much.

As the trial proceeded, everyone: Michael, his lawyers, and supporters in the courtroom were optimistic and confident. The prosecution witnesses either admitted their criminal plans or were quickly proven to be liars. There is even video of the perpetrators physically assaulting Michael, from his own camera. That video has been ordered SEALED by the very judge who presided over the trial and will likely never be seen by the public. Everything seemed to be going Mike's way. But, after all, this is Multnomah County, the county that says your car and your front porch are "public places."  The county that rewards rioters and elects child molesters.

On Thursday, it appeared the trial was over. A use of force expert had testified that Michael's actions were reasonable. Everyone was sure that Michael would prevail. Then the Multnomah County D.A. announced that they were going to have another surprise witness on Friday to testify that Mike's use of "force" was criminal. The observers, and Mike's lawyers were stunned by this last minute ambush witness.

Keep in mind that Mike's "criminal" actions consisted solely of drawing a lawfully possessed firearm in the face of a mob of armed attackers and backing away without ever placing his finger on the trigger.
The ambush witness was Ryan Rasmussen, a Gresham cop who was not at the scene of the attack but agreed (for reasons yet to be determined) to come in at the 11th hour and testify that drawing your gun in the face of an attacking mob is not "reasonable."  Rasmussen testified that all of the training that he had received and that he teaches centers solely around law enforcement or military, and that none of it applies to civilians. He even testified that police are held to a higher standard than civilians.

Within a minute of the closing arguments, after Rasmussen finished his attacks on Strickland, Judge Thomas Ryan found him guilty on all 21 counts. Mike, his lawyers, and supporters were astonished.
Keep in mind, in Oregon there is no duty to retreat from attackers. But the D.A. and their hired gun witness said Michael's behavior was criminal because he did not run away. In fact, multiple videos of the event show very, very clearly that Strickland was making every attempt to back away. Michael has had knee issues in the past and has trouble running. Add to that he was weighed down by his backpack full of computer and camera equipment, as well as the tripod with his camera on it. It would have been impossible for him to run away, as he would surely have been tackled behind by the mob.
Incredibly, the DA attacked Mike because, after he felt he was safely away from his attackers, he holstered his gun.

A Portland Police Sgt. who was part of the squad that arrested Michael told us he thought everything Mike did was correct. But none of that mattered. Strickland's long history of exposing the hypocrisy and tyranny of the left in Oregon meant he had to be made an example of.  They had the power to silence him and chill anyone else who dared shine a light on them and they used it.
This case is about so much more than Mike. If this conviction stands, self defense in Multnomah County, and soon all of Oregon, will be a dead issue. The prosecution attacked Mike because he had backup ammo! They attacked him because he did not "run away" when in fact he did. They told lies about him to taint the jury pool and build up hatred for him in the press.  Who among us is next?
If ever there was a clear cut case of self defense, this was it. But a leftist, activist judge in a leftist county decided to ignore the facts and the law and condemn Mike for doing what any rational person in his position would have done.

Multnomah County has sent a message loud and clear. If you riot, attack people and destroy property, you will be protected. If you try to defend yourself from criminals, you will be convicted and jailed. It is simple insanity. What Judge Ryan and D.A. Underhill have said is this. "If you come to Multnomah County and a gang of thugs attacks you, lie down and take the beating. If you are not killed, you will be better off than if you defend yourself and we get ahold of you."
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I love how judges order evidence sealed.  

I would've had several copies of my video ready to be released anonymously
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting article.  Plenty of gun advocates in Oregon I assume.  If all that's true, why is that judge even allowed near a courtroom?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope he appeals and wins. He's still an idiot though.

Man pulls gun on crowd of Portland protesters

He pulls his weapon at about 8-second. At 9-second you see a woman duck and run to the left in response to him pointing a gun at everyone in the street. He is in the crosswalk. Nobody is even close to him. He doesn't point the gun at an attacker or attackers. He points it at everyone in the street including other amateur media. That indiscriminate brandishing and muzzle sweeping of people that were doing nothing but video recording is idiotic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
What a farce. If the shoe was on the other foot and he was a leftist unfairly convicted there would be protest marches all over the state and possibly country. I hope he can at least appeal.

We should make Strickland our Mumia Abu Jamal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The level of coercion is ramping up and we're seeing how saturated local politics has become with globalists.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't disagree. Not everyone who is a CCW is an expert on the ROE.

Still, I maintain again that the ONLY time he should have drawn his weapon is if he intended to use it. He should have dropped one of those masked punks, and then stood over his bleeding corpse until police came. His penalty likely would have been less in this case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Judge and DA should be removed from their positions and never be allowed back into public office or govt. job on any level.
View Quote

Tar and Feathers is the historically accurate response. Not that I would advocate violence against a corrupt constitution hating public official.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

II maintain again that the ONLY time he should have drawn his weapon is if he intended to use it. He should have dropped one of those masked punks, and then stood over his bleeding corpse until police came. His penalty likely would have been less in this case.
View Quote

Yep.

Going for a stroll while holding his gun and playing hobby media is what did him in.  had he waited until an actual assault was imminent, drew and fired to stop that threat, he would have been better off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep.

Going for a stroll while holding his gun and playing hobby media is what did him in.  had he waited until an actual assault was imminent, drew and fired to stop that threat, he would have been better off.
View Quote

I thought he drew his gun when the mob advanced on him when an assault could have been imminent ? Maybe I have it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What Judge Ryan and D.A. Underhill have said is this. "If you come to Multnomah County and a gang of thugs attacks you, lie down and take the beating. If you are not killed, you will be better off than if you defend yourself and we get ahold of you."
View Quote

At some point people will decide there is another option.   Something something tell no tales....
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why ?
View Quote

Because he went straight into the heart of darkness and put himself into that situation. 95% of that city is overtly hostile to traditional, conservative values. The mayor, the judges, and the people that elect them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Interesting article.  Plenty of gun advocates in Oregon I assume.  If all that's true, why is that judge even allowed near a courtroom?
View Quote
Multnomah County is Portland. About the worst place in Oregon to use a gun for self defense.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because he went straight into the heart of darkness and put himself into that situation. 95% of that city is overtly hostile to traditional, conservative values.
View Quote

While Im not disagreeing, your rights shouldnt depend on making the "right" choice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

While Im not disagreeing, your rights shouldnt depend on making the "right" choice.
View Quote

I don't they think they should either. Portland does though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Separating the paragraphs would make that a little easier to read.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The thread on this the other day revealed that some of the jurors were quoted as being pacifists and anti gun. This is the first i have heard about the sealing of evidence, it really says it all.

So the state of Oregon packed the jury, had an anti gun DA with and anti gun court, and sealed evidence to control their narrative.... Wow Oregon, what a great way to show everyone how fair and impartial the Oregon court system is.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
holy wall of text batman
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because he went straight into the heart of darkness and put himself into that situation. 95% of that city is overtly hostile to traditional, conservative values. The mayor, the judges, and the people that elect them.
View Quote

True, but we are definitely going to lose in the end if we don't try to expose them and show an alternative message.

Good on him for having the balls to stand up and try.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Liberal supermajority.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
If it is a prptesters paradise, then shut down that court with protests.

G
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The thread on this the other day revealed that some of the jurors were quoted as being pacifists and anti gun. This is the first i have heard about the sealing of evidence, it really says it all.

So the state of Oregon packed the jury, had an anti gun DA with and anti gun court, and sealed evidence to control their narrative.... Wow Oregon, what a great way to show everyone how fair and impartial the Oregon court system is.
View Quote
I really like how if a potential juror was pro-gun, they were dismissed, but anti-gun jurors were good to go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If it is a prptesters paradise, then shut down that court with protests.

G
View Quote

Leftist protester's paradise.

If decent human beings started protesting they'd be round up and thrown in jail in nothing flat.

Don't go into enemy territory and expect a fair trial, and the leftist strongholds are definitely enemy territory.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
True, but we are definitely going to lose in the end if we don't try to expose them and show an alternative message.

View Quote

I loved his youtube channel. He was a lone voice of reason in the massive sea of liberal madness that is Portland.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#26]
So if a conservative mob surrounded the judge with threats to tar and feather the judge, would the same rules be applied of the judge attempted to defend himself?   Yeah, I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't they think they should either. Portland does though.
View Quote

And they need their peepee's slapped.  Have for a really long time.  Its time to make examples of these fucktards.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So if a conservative mob surrounded the judge with threats to tar and feather the judge, would the same rules be applied of the judge attempted to defend himself?   Yeah, I didn't think so.
View Quote

Did the judge decide to walk into the middle of the mob with his video camera for Lulz?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did the judge decide to walk into the middle of the mob with his video camera for Lulz?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he or did he not have a right to be there?

What kind of precedent does it set that we let feral animals take over public places and run off anyone they don't like?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are rights only dependent on making "smart" decisions?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only thing gonna save that guy from that much corruption is media exposure.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What kind of precedent does it set that we let feral animals take over public places and run off anyone they don't like?
View Quote

They all had a right to be there. a few protestors and a whole bunch of fake media got together for a shouting match in the street and he pulled a gun. He knew what he was getting into, unless he's stupid.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only thing gonna save that guy from that much corruption is media exposure.
View Quote

I really wish Trump would step in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, but i reserve the right to call you an idiot if you make stupid decisions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They all had a right to be there. a few protestors and a whole bunch of fake media got together for a shouting match in the street and he pulled a gun. He knew what he was getting into, unless he's stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a little more than a "shouting match", they surrounded and aggressively advanced on him. When there are that many people all it takes is one to slip around to flank you and get in a solid sucker punch and you're fucked. You may not get a second chance to get your gun out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
edit; beat
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Judge and DA should be removed from their positions and never be allowed back into public office or govt. job on any level.
View Quote

There was a time in this country "we" would force that issue....with force.

Lawlessness works both ways as I hope this "judge" soon discovers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote
This
 If he had video of the attack even better.

If you pull you gun it's should be smoking before it's holstered
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#39]
sounds ike it is time to riot vandalize the courthouse and assault the judge- there is no good that will come of any of this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I sold my business and got the fuck out of Oregon. Between Uncle Sugar and Oregon the tax bite was over 1/2 of my retained earnings.

Fuck Oregon and I hope Mt. St. Helens has better aim next time. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
While I think the guy is an idiot who should have stayed home, the justice system has long ceased to be about justice.  No conviction for LIBOR, money laundering, price fixing, selling state secrets, veiled bribes or anything else done by the big boys (and girls).  But if the peon gets out of line, drops a cigarette on the street, it's the full weight of the law.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Again, this is the guy that video'd himself talking about having a gun and going to the rally to start shit.  The freelance journalist thing is BS.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No, but i reserve the right to call you an idiot if you make stupid decisions.
View Quote

Your opinion of someone elses actions should not have any bearing on the outcome of their rights.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless something changes, in Portland they are.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some prison time too
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Again, this is the guy that video'd himself talking about having a gun and going to the rally to start shit.  The freelance journalist thing is BS.
View Quote

Are you sure ? I thought that was the guy in Minnesota.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, I think this is a different case altogether....
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Regardless of opinion on his idea being good or bad, the issue has turned into judicial precedence.  If the conviction stands, the state is going to continue to burn every conservative they can over self defense.

If you can't draw a firearm in self defense against 20+ angry attackers, then what are you supposed to do?  Let them knock you unconscious before disarming and shooting you?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm curious about your source for the material in the OP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#50]
How do you get convicted of 21 counts of self defense .  Self Defence is not a crime, it is justification.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top