Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2002 8:14:16 AM EDT
Mrs. QS reports that she is feeling much better this morning.  

Additional details...dog had previously sent two people to the ER.  Mrs. QS is doing much better with the dog's fate now after hearing that.  Also, we found a tooth mark on her chin where she nearly missed having her face removed.  Fortunately, [rolleyes] her wrist took the brunt of the attack.

I can just hear it now..."My pit bull would never do anything like that!"  Maybe so...but do the math.  The animals are bred for aggressiveness...why are we surprised when they display aggressiveness?  

Don't compare it to a gun.  A gun is a tool totally dependent on the will of its user...it'll never decide to get up and shoot someone on its own initiative.  If you'd like to make a gun analogy, compare it to giving a loaded firearm to an angry four-year-old. It has the capability to kill, and not the good judgment to restrain that capability like an adult human.

I'm not by any means saying you shouldn't be allowed to own one.  I'm just saying that if you do choose to own one, you're basically allowing a tiger to live in your house, and you need to recognize that it could get hungry without warning.  It may be docile 99.9% of the time, but it's that .01% that can kill you.  At least with the tiger, you'd take safety precautions all the time and not be lulled into a false sense of security.  

I do not advocate any restrictions on them whatsoever, just so there's no misunderstanding.

Have a great day, and thanks to all who sent kind wishes.

QS
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Glad to hear it.

I just noticed that you are in Indiana. I am in Lawrence County (75 miles south of Indy). I must have missed the original thread about this incident.
View Quote

Thank you.  I'm in Hendricks County.  I deleted the original thread (posted at 0300 shortly after returning from the ER and dispatching the dog) because there were some people who felt the detail was legally inappropriate.

QS
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad she is doing better.  Yes some dog are more aggresive than others, either way  when a dog attacks a person the owners should be held responsible IMHO.  Even the kindest breed can be aggressive it taught to be.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm very glad the Mrs. I doing well. I can sympathize with her on the chin bite, having just missed losing my face to a Rottweiler and ending up with my lower lip bleeding.

Well done, sir. Take care.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I am glad to hear that Ms. QS is doing better, and I am glad that the dog was put down.

Hopefully, sometime this week I will be releasing the first part of my article on the American Pit Bull Terrier. I want to help put some of these "pit bull" myths to death.

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Okay..not to be offensive, but...

Pit bulls have been known to attack people.
(t) or (f)

Pit bulls have been known to kill people.
(t) or (f)

Pit bulls have not attacked/killed more people than any other breed of dog.
(t) (f)

Pit bulls are not more than a generation or two from being bred to fight.
(t) or (f)

This breeding produces an animal with a heightened propensity for aggression.
(t) or (f)

Pit bulls are capable of being good, well behaved dogs.
(t) or (f)

The above statement changes the fact that if one of them pops his cork unexpectedly someone is going to get severely injured or killed.
(t) or (f)

Large breed dog owners have an obligation to see that their animal never has an opportunity to kill/injure a human or another dog.
(t) or (f)

It is safe to have an animal bred specifically to have the WILL and ABILITY to kill around small children.
(t) or (f)

I like dogs...but don't tell me that some breeds aren't more dangerous than others.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the problems is with the human response to one of our loved ones being attacked..breed of dog or even breed of human...get hurt enough times and you opinon is gonna be changed.

Dogs are funny critters they respond to training but breeding is also important.Differing breeds need different levels of training and even respond better to different types of trainers as well as different types of training.

The bull breeds from Mastiffs , American Bulldogs , Pit Bull Terriers, Filas, Presas and many others make fine pets, guard dogs, and personal protection dogs. They can be misbred or well bred...flaw bred to flaw and good characteristics to good.

Many dogs are one family dogs..and dont do well around strangers. Others have not had adequate obediance training and socialization but would have otherwise been good dogs given good training. Others are reprobates and should be kept in fenced in yards..supervised..by a responsible person or destroyed.

Many Pit Bull dogs have a bad reputation..and that is exactly why [b]bad[/b] people buy them...they are cranked out in puppy mills with no thought given to character or severe faults. They are then raised by bad people and when the dogs dont respond they are dumped. Often these dogs are picked up by well intentioned people who simply cant handle them, and dont.On the other hand many times good people buy dogs and then find they dont have the time, patience, or ability to train or handle the dog..sometimes divorce dumps these untrained dogs onto family after family..and they go bad..

Thirty years ago the Doberman was the bad boy of the dog world..the APBT while around, wasnt the problem that you hear of today. Dobbies are pretty much bred out these days..so now the dogs with the worst reps are APBT and Rotties. The truth is there are other breeds out there that are ten times more dangerous if trained to be or allowed to be. Or are abused into being.

The problem I see with APBTs these days is poor breeding on the part of some breeders and lack of training and socialization on the part of the owners.

I am very sorry to hear of your wifes injuries..this has to be both painful and traumatic for her and for your family..its a horrible thing to happen.
The dog needs to be destroyed...though the problem is with the owner, who is as irresponsible as a drunk driver imo.

I am a fan of big dogs...I have had Shepherds, Rotties, Dobs, and took care of a friends APBT until he could take the dog again...It was a good dog, a real sweetheart...needed lots of excercise and obediance training..and a family to be a part of...properly socialized around children and old folks they make good companions and are trustworthy.

Again my families prayers are with your wife for a speedy recovery with no lasting damage of any kind.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I am glad she is doing better.
I hope she mends quickly.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I sent you an e-mail bro, and I never said in my post that the "pit bull" was not more or less danderous than any other breed of dog.

Quoted:

T (many breeds have)

T (in RARE circumstances)

It would be true to say that this breed is NOT the "#1 attacker"

T Many are still bred to fight, and fight other animals ONLY. And YES, they can tell the difference between a human and another dog.

T - but only towards other dogs/small animals, and this can be overcome with proper socialization.

T

The above statement changes the fact that if one of them pops his cork unexpectedly someone is going to get severely injured or killed.

T, but this rarely happens. I have done the research (and you can check for yourself if you choose not to believe me).

FACT: The American Canine Temperament Testing Association, which sponsors temperament titles for ALL dogs, reported that 95% of American Pit Bull Terriers pass the test, as compared to an average of 77% passing rate for ALL breeds on average. The APBT's passing rate was forth highest of all breeds tested.

Large breed dog owners have an obligation to see that their animal never has an opportunity to kill/injure a human or another dog.
T, very true indeed. The American Pit Bull Terrier is not a large breed, the average weight for a male is 45-55 pounds. Most dogs involved in "pit bull" attacks are half breeds, bred with others from the mastiff family to get a larger dog (and thus losing the APBT human friendly temperment). People cru "pit bull" like anti gunners cry "assault weapon". ALSO, the APBT belongs to the Terrier family, not the Mastiff family (research), as is commonly reported.

It is safe to have an animal bred specifically to have the WILL and ABILITY to kill around small children.

F of course not! I would never question your statement. Without proper socialization, I would NEVER leave ANY dog unattended with children.

I like dogs...but don't tell me that some breeds aren't more dangerous than others.  

View Quote

I posted that I was glad to hear that Ms. QS is doing better, and I am glad that the dog was put down. I didn't mean to insult you or your wife in any way - if I came across like that, I sincerely apologize.

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

(t) or (f)

View Quote

[s]Pit bulls[/s] [i]All dogs, sheep, horses, little kids, parrots [/i]have been known to attack people.
(t) or (f)

[s]Pit bulls[/s] [i]Lots of dogs, swimming pools, lack of air, malfunctioning garage doors[/i] have been known to kill people.
(t) or (f)

[s]Pit bulls[/s] [i]There's no reliable source of information to know if any dogs[/i] have not attacked/killed more people than any other breed of dog.
(t) (f)

[s]Pit bulls[/s] [i]All dogs can fight and any breeds of dogs in existance[/i] are not more than a generation or two from being bred to fight.
(t) or (f)

[s]This breeding[/s] [i]Any infinite amount of variables[/i] produces an animal with a heightened propensity for aggression.
(t) or (f)

[s]Pit bulls[/s] [i]All dogs[/i] are capable of being good, well behaved dogs.
(t) or (f)

The above statement changes the fact that if [s]one of them[/s] [i]any breed of dog, person, bird, cat, fish, gorilla, ferret, iguana[/i] pops his cork unexpectedly someone is going to get severely injured or killed.
(t) or (f)

[s]Large breed dog owners[/s] [i]All pet owners of any animal no matter how big or how small[/i] have an obligation to see that their animal never has an opportunity to kill/injure a human or another dog.
(t) or (f)

[s]It is safe[/s]  [i]Can you handle/are you willing to handle[/i]to have an animal bred specifically to have the WILL and ABILITY to kill around small children.
(t) or (f)

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Not that it's any of my damned business, but this might not be the best timing for even the most well-intentioned efforts at polishing the image of pit bulls.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys, I'm not trying to be a dick...It would be nice to hear a pit bull owner admit that they might be more likely to kill somebody than, say, a Yorkie.

This from the CDC.
Fatal Dog Attacks

ATLANTA & WASHINGTON--Dog bite injuries can lead to serious infections
(such as tetanus and
rabies), disability, deformity, and occasionally death. Most of these
injuries are preventable.

The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, the Center for
Disease Control and Prevention,
and the Humane Society of the United States recently updated data on
fatal dog bites for the period 1989
to 1994.

In the 6-year study published in the medical journal PEDIATRICS (Vol.97
No. 6, 891-5), Jeffrey J.
Sacks, M.D. and associates reported the finding of 109 bite-related
fatalities. They found that 57% of the
deaths were in children under 10 years of age. 22% of the deaths
involved an unrestrained dog OFF the
owner's property. 18% of the deaths involved a restrained dog ON the
owner's property, and 59% of the
deaths involved an unrestrained dog ON the owner's property.

The researchers also found that 10% of the dog bite attacks involved
sleeping infants.

The most commonly reported dog breeds involved were pit bulls (24
deaths), followed by Rottweilers (16
deaths), and German shepherds (10 deaths). The authors point out that
many breeds, however, are
involved in the problem.

The death rate from dog bite-related fatalities (18 deaths per year) in
the 6-year study period remained
relatively constant compared with the prior 10 years.

The authors emphasized that "most of the factors contributing to dog
bites are related to the level of
responsibility exercised by dog owners." They recommend public education
about dogs and dog
ownership. In this regard, the authors suggest the following guidelines
for parents and children:

A Study done by the Federal Centers for Disease Control, states that a child by the age of 14 has a nearly 50% chance of having a serious dog bite. Most bites to children, are done by a known dog such as a neighbour's and second most common are from dogs actually belonging to the family.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I sent you an e-mail bro, and I never said in my post that the "pit bull" was not more or less danderous than any other breed of dog.

I posted that I was glad to hear that Ms. QS is doing better, and I am glad that the dog was put down. I didn't mean to insult you or your wife in any way - if I came across like that, I sincerely apologize.

Eric/Tyler
View Quote

No offense taken..I'm just a little angry right now.. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
QS, I'm glad to hear she's ok.  I think i have missed a post.  The last I remember hearing is that the dog jumped the fence and she had just made it into the kitchen.  Was there another incident or was she attacked by the dog then?  Why is this animal still around if it sent 2 other people to the ER?

To answer your question I believe German Shepards are the dog responsible for most attacks on humans.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
QS, I'm glad to hear she's ok.  I think i have missed a post.  The last I remember hearing is that the dog jumped the fence and she had just made it into the kitchen.  Was there another incident or was she attacked by the dog then?  Why is this animal still around if it sent 2 other people to the ER?
View Quote

'Snot...he shuffled off this mortal coil Wednesday night right after it happened.  I think you might be thinking of someone else...this was her first incident with the dog...and might I add - his last.

QS
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad the Mrs. is better and glad you shot the dog.

I just wanted to restate the fact that most people refer to pit bulls the same way we hear assault weapon referred to in the media.  There is a big difference between an American Pitbull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier and the dogs most commonly referred to as "pit bulls".  It is the same way someone referres to a 10/22 with a pistol grip as an assault weapon.  Most of the aggressive ones are backyard bred mixes made to fight and be aggressive by POS owners who deserve a cap in the back of the head.  Any farm or hunting breed or mix can be aggressive if not socialized around people. The two dogs that have attacked me in my lifetime were a lab whose backyard I went into to retrieve a ball and an Afghan that just didn't like the look of me.  Luckily the first one just got my shoe and the second just put a hole in my arm.

I have two large breed dogs and one has a relatively sharp temperment.  She has never attacked anyone (person or dog) but she does get guardy around things she thinks is hers.  So, she is kept on a short leash, trained, and socialized as much as possible.  Owning a dog involves the same responsibility as owning a firearm.  They both can be dangerous in the hands of irresponsible owners.  And if you have a dog that is aggressive, it needs to be put down.  Two years ago we rescued a dog from the pound and found it to be very aggressive toward submissive dogs.  We had the dog put down rather than risk it coming in contact with a submissive child.

Like everything in life, people just need to be responsible.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#20]
QS   Glad every thing is good with you now.  I will say all of the above posts are correct,but lets just change all of the above to use the word people instead of pit bull.

All people are basically good its their owners(parents) that make them good or bad,not so sometimes it's their environment and the way they are handled when young.  

So lets just treat people,and dogs in much the same way,they are all unique, and deal out equal measures of discipline as needed.

Good show and may god bless you.  

Bob
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top