Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/24/2001 9:36:43 PM EST
Here's a complicated one for you legal eagles (grin). I live in CA and have 3 rifles registered as "Assault Weapons". There is the possibility that I might move to Texas. Let's assume I live there for 3 years, and then my job brings me BACK to California. What is the legal status of those rifles at that point? Can I bring them back (they're registered...), or do I lose that status when I take up Texas residency? Or do they remain "CA legal" if they are stored here? Of course I will consult a lawyer if it comes down to it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any good ideas about this one. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 9:47:33 PM EST
According to DOJ, you are supposed to notify them when you sell or get rid of your assault rifle. I'm not sure if moving is consider getting "rid of". Call them from a pay-phone and watch out for black helicopters flying around. But again, they have satelite. OMG! i'm rambling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:06:52 PM EST
I still have 2 rifles registered in California, an AR series rifle and an AK series rifle. If I ever have to go back there(I hope not) these are the ones I can bring with me. I've strongly considered "unregistering" them, but I figure they've got my info now anyway, and I doubt they'll be throwing it away.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 10:24:05 PM EST
If you are now a resident with registered "AW's" how are they (DOJ) to know if you've moved and come back? The concern is new residents bringing in "evil guns" My guess, and it's just a guess, that like the DMV nobody notices. I lived in California and moved and come back before. Your records at DOJ will remain unchanged unless you somehow go to the extraordinary trouble of informing them, or if you simply sell or transfer the firearm.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 1:07:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/25/2001 1:00:24 AM EST by alexanderredhook]
[center]Call the CA DOJ firearms division:[/center] [center](916)227-3703[/center]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:11:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By alexanderredhook: [center]Call the CA DOJ firearms division:[/center] [center](916)227-3703[/center]
View Quote
Yes, this is a reasonably good answer. But if I do get the job offer in TX, I'll try to get something in writing as well. Thanks, all, for your opinions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 7:47:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:24:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/25/2001 8:17:43 PM EST by Pthfndr]
Bill You would be ok bringing them back. The DOJ FAQ page says so.I looked at the specific sections it mentions and there is no wording about how long a period "traveling" is. [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm#8[/url] 8.I have a registered assault weapon. If I travel outside of California with the firearm, can I bring the firearm back into California? Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 12285 and 12026.1. These sections of law may be accessed on the DOJ Firearms Division Website's Online Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.
Top Top