Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 8:33:59 PM EDT
The wifey has a new 2005 Ford Focus...it is paid for...She lives in NJ.

When I get back from Korea, we are moving to Idaho and will be using my '03 F-150.

Driving the car to Idaho is out of the question...the wifey hates to drive on the freeway..

Dont ask me why I bought this car...it's a LONG story....

I can

1. Ship the car to Idaho.. $1200 to 1400.

2. Rent a U-haul Trailer and tow it myself... $888 + an aditional 200 in Gasoline, due to a decrease in mileage on my truck...

3. Rent a dolly...$450.00 +an additional $200 or more bucks in gas...

4. Sell the damned thing...It's 1 year old and has get this...less than 3,000 miles!
She barely drives it!

Trade in for this model is $12,800 retail is $15,500 I figure I can get 12K easy...

An '04 goes for a trade in value of $11,025 and a retail of $13,175

The depreciation in trade value alone over 1 year is $1,775...

I could buy a used '9somthing Toyota Camry (their supposed to last forever aren't they) for $4,000 and pocket $8,000. Hell...even if I had to spen $1k in repairs..I am still $7K ahead of the game... and I save all that money on transporation costs getting the car to idaho.

The wifey hates to sell the car...But I think this is the better deal...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a buddy a case of ammo for driving it to Idaho, buy him a 1 way airline ticket back to NJ. Probably less than $400 total.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy a buddy a case of ammo for driving it to Idaho, buy him a 1 way airline ticket back to NJ. Probably less than $400 total.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.

Thought about that...

But $1,775 will go evaporate into the thin air that is depreciation..when it could be in my bank gaining interest...

It will cost me $2,175 to $3,175 to keep this car for one more year...that is the price of a good used car at residual value...remember..the wifey is going to drive this thing about 3,000 miles a year or less...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not trying to be a dick, but why is she scared of the big bad freeway ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't look at vehicles as assets, or investments.

They are meant to depreciate.

If you like the car, keep it.  If not...sell.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking along the lines of how long YOUR ride to Idaho may be if you sell the car that the WIFEY loves!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Im not trying to be a dick, but why is she scared of the big bad freeway ?

She is a very NERVOUS driver.... Her mother hates to drive on the freeway too...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know...

But the math says this thing is a hot potato that we have to get rid of...

The wife may say otherwise...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was thinking along the lines of how long YOUR ride to Idaho may be if you sell the car that the WIFEY loves!!

Yes, I forgot to factor PIE into the equation
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know...

But the math says this thing is a hot potato that we have to get rid of...

The wife may say otherwise...

If it's just math, then make the best financial decision.

Its not like you can't replace it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not BUY a trailer, haul the car, then turn around and sell the trailer for what you bought it for....or at least at a loss less than the rental fees?

Like I said in another thread, you can advertise classified with powerful results for free through www.craigslist.com
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Sell it.

Use $1000 for part of the  moving expenses and incidentals.

Use $7000 to buy a solid car (2000 Toyota?)

Buy the Wife a Nice Bauble  - $500

Use the rest to buy a .50 Cal. and ammo .

(Hey ,  Idaho is pretty Big. )
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sell it.

Use $1000 for part of the  moving expenses and incidentals.

Use $7000 to buy a solid car (2000 Toyota?)

Buy the Wife a Nice Bauble  - $500

Use the rest to buy a .50 Cal. and ammo .

(Hey ,  Idaho is pretty Big. )

Not THAT'S an idea

And the gun will keep it's value
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#13]
get a title loan and don't come back for it...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
get a title loan and don't come back for it...

Nah...just have to convince the wife to sell the thing...
We own it outright..

Little cars come ,go, and depreciate rapidly....
I never really liked that car anyways... but the wifey sure does
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm about to ETS and am not looking forward to a 2000 mile drive in seperate cars, so I feel your pain.

See if your wife can put it up on the Lemon Lot on post, at least you'll have people looking at it until you can get back from ROK and decide what to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the AF will pay you mileage if your wife drives the car to Idaho.  I know that when I moved from NC to CA the AF paid mileage for my wife driving her car too.  

If they will, rent a dolly and tow it there and say that she drove it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]
The car is in South Jersey, so I figure it should sell fairly quick.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate to be the one to say this, but...why don't you just make her drive it?  What's going to happen in the future if something comes up and she has to drive on the highway?

Alternatively, can't you stick it in a family member's driveway, then fly back a few months from now for a holiday and drive it back?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that the AF will pay you mileage if your wife drives the car to Idaho.  I know that when I moved from NC to CA the AF paid mileage for my wife driving her car too.  

If they will, rent a dolly and tow it there and say that she drove it.

Hmmm...Will have to get with finance about that....

As  understand it they are only going to finance the move from Omaha to ID, as I moved the wifey to NJ at my own expense. Their was no way that I was going to let her sit in Omaha or Mountain Home by herself for a whole year.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I hate to be the one to say this, but...why don't you just make her drive it?  What's going to happen in the future if something comes up and she has to drive on the highway?

Alternatively, can't you stick it in a family member's driveway, then fly back a few months from now for a holiday and drive it back?

I suppose that I could do that too..

Have tried to get the wifey used to driving on the bigger freeways....scares the crapola out of me each time...

Tried to teach her to drive a manual transmision a few times when we first got married...ended up selling my truck for one with an automatic...figured it was better for the marriage

She has gotten a little better at driving than when we were first married though...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

As  understand it they are only going to finance the move from Omaha to ID, as I moved the wifey to NJ at my own expense. Their was no way that I was going to let her sit in Omaha or Mountain Home by herself for a whole year.

I moved the wife and son back to NC so she wouldn’t have to stay at Edwards or Tyndall by herself while I was gone.  But the AF paid me to do a partial DITY move to move her to NC and the TMO person that I worked with at Edwards said that I would also be able to do a DITY move from NC to FL also.  I clearly explained what I planed on doing and that I knew that it would be at my expense, but she told me that I could do it and the AF would (and they did) pay me to do the DITY move from CA to NC.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I moved the wife and son back to NC so she wouldn’t have to stay at Edwards or Tyndall by herself while I was gone.  But the AF paid me to do a partial DITY move to move her to NC and the TMO person that I worked with at Edwards said that I would also be able to do a DITY move from NC to FL also.  I clearly explained what I planed on doing and that I knew that it would be at my expense, but she told me that I could do it and the AF would (and they did) pay me to do the DITY move from CA to NC.  

Did you have a guaranteed follow on?

They are paying me BAH for NJ, but would not pay for the move from Omaha to NJ.

I packed my wifes stuff up in the trunk of her car, and had it shipped to NJ for $800 bucks...
That was last year, when gas was still fairly cheap

I drove my truck to FL to let my father use it for a year, and flew to my port call in Seattle  from Palm Beach... Bought the wife a cheap plane ticket to NJ, where she met up with her car at her parents... told her father I was giving her back for a year
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I packed my wifes stuff up in the trunk of her car, and had it shipped to NJ for $800 bucks...

I drove my truck to FL to let my father use it for a year, and flew to my port call in Seattle  from Palm Beach... Bought the wife a cheap plane ticket to NJ, where she met up with her car at her parents... told her father I was giving her back for a year

Yep, had a guaranteed follow on to Tyndall.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, had a guaranteed follow on to Tyndall.

Funny...

The airman at outbound asignments at Offutt tried to tell me that I could not move my wife to NJ..
I told her "pick up the phone and tell my wife that".... she went and got an NCO and the matter was settled in a few minutes...

I was told that the move to NJ would not be paid, but that I could claim dislocation allowance when I got back... and that I would be paid BAH for NJ.  I will have to look into this...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Funny...

The airman at outbound asignments at Offutt tried to tell me that I could not move my wife to NJ..
I told her "pick up the phone and tell my wife that".... she went and got an NCO and the matter was settled in a few minutes...

I was told that the move to NJ would not be paid, but that I could claim dislocation allowance when I got back... and that I would be paid BAH for NJ.  I will have to look into this...

I didn't think the AF would pay to move the family also, but the person I worked with said I could do a partial DITY move (most of our stuff was moved to FL and put into storage, which I'm having to pay for) and did all the paperwork needed.  She was a civilian that has been working in the TMO office for a long time.  I’m waiting to see if I’ll be able to do a DITY move from NC to FL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#26]
sell it and buy her a moped, if she hardly drives and only drives on side streets and shit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
sell it and buy her a moped, if she hardly drives and only drives on side streets and shit.

Hmm..... would a shild safety seat fit on a moped?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top