Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:26:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice review, TJ.

I saw it but hesitated, being suspicious of revisionism so prevalent in movies today.

Now I'll go check it out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
i watched the movie last night, and i can add nothing to your review and comments; except that the dvd extras (interviews and commentary) were a great help to me in penetrating the dense material and following the characters. it was refreshing to see hitler and his entourage not potrayed as other-worldly demons, but as real people "with their own reasons". this to me is more chilling.

eta: imho-the actor who portrayed hitler, nailed him.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, very good movie and one any history buff should watch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to watch it last night and could not get the directors comments feature to turn off!!! Now, after reading your review, I'll be heading back to Blockbuster for another copy. For excellent further reading on the final days of the Reich, from the many volumes available, I can recommend:

"The Fall of Berlin" by Anthony Read & David Fisher
"The Fall of Berlin 1945" by Anthony Beevor
"The Last 100 Days" by John Toland
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw it with my "Berliner" Dad(wehrmacht 43-45).
He was 16 when conscripted, just shy of 18 when the Russian entered Berlin.
Received Iron Cross 3rd. for defense of the city, his apartment ended up in the Russian sector.
His Mother died of TB before he and his Father were released.

He thought it was well done.
Pete
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top