Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2004 6:13:27 PM EDT
WTF? Is this Berg guy a spook or something else? I dont believe its a coincidence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I ownder if Nick was an Islamic convert and al Queda thought lets kidnap a white guy, but since he was a volunteer already....it explains why he was in Iraq...hmmm
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
link?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
sources, we need sources sir!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
FOX mentioned this earlier today several time.  The US .gov claims it was purley coincidence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad was telling me about this earlier this evening. Said it had been on foxnews. f anyone finds a link I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FOX mentioned this earlier today several time.  The US .gov claims it was purley coincidence.

Yep, it was on Hannity today and Greta tonite. I have no links.
I heard a guy today on Hannity saying Berg was in two other war zones in Africa previously.
Very suspicious.

ETA: I am only trying to inform. What they did to him is unspeakable and I am literally raging over it this minute. I want to kill someone I am so angry.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't paying close attention but heard something on Foxnews. thought they said it was his college email address and that addresses there  get reused often. this had me going since at every college I've seen the email addresses of they're unique to each student and get deleted when the student leaves
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure why, but something about this guy's story and appearance reminds me of that John Lindh asshole.  Maybe it's just me?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
He had contact with FBI in OK about the email and they visited him in Iraq (3 times) while he was detained.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
what do you bet they made it up in the hopes the public would not be as outraged....?

and by saying that its purely coincidence, that covers their ass....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you imagine the statistical improbability that the FBI visits you. Now that they visit you more than once... I'm not sure if you called them that they would come :')

Now imagine the odds that he had contact with not one but two of UBL's minions. Lots of tuff guys have been trying since 9/11 and have had zero contacts with UBL's crew.

?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
It does seem very strange.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why, but something about this guy's story and appearance reminds me of that John Lindh asshole.  Maybe it's just me?

His dad isn't helping the matter...

Kevin
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My kid's college email address contains so many characters that if every single American, Indian and Chinaman between the ages of 17 and 30 went to his school, each would have a unique email address.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Fox News: Possible Link????

Here is something I found

"Sources said that the FBI concluded that Berg had innocently given his e-mail account to someone and it had landed in the hands of other people, including Moussaoui."

Hummm. Yeah.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I ownder if Nick was an Islamic convert and al Queda thought lets kidnap a white guy, but since he was a volunteer already....it explains why he was in Iraq...hmmm

That was the thinking when he was picked up by the Iraqis.
And when they found out who his Dad was, THAT was the reason for the repeated visits by the FBI.
Apparently he was cleared though and he wanted to stay so they let him. Although his reason for being there was unorthidox, according to people other than his parents he was a card carrying good guy who was a Republican, pro Bush and pro War and disagreed totally with his fathers politics.

His fathers politics MIGHT explain why no contractors in Iraq would re-hire him after his first contract expired last year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sorry, but none of this matters.  No matter who he was or what he was doing, he did not deserve this and those things that killed him should be put down like rabid animals, which they are.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Who "innocently" gives a stranger their email account?  I don't think he could have been that stupid.  There are too many coincidences.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a thought. Bergs FATHER might be the way Moussaui got the e-mail account. Nick Berg abandoned it without closing it. His Dad probably knew it and gave it to "friends" in ANSWER.

I don't beleve in coincidence especally with E-mail accounts because the combinations are so large. But neither do I beleve that Nick Berg was involved with Al Qaida because no one can be found that can say he agreed with his fathers politics.  If he was CIA, I think CIA would claim him by now. No one is THAT deep cover.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/11/iraq/main616842.shtml

cbs story about the connection.

While you're there, hit the poll in the sidebar!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, but none of this matters.  No matter who he was or what he was doing, he did not deserve this and those things that killed him should be put down like rabid animals, which they are.

You're absolutely right.

However there are many odd circumtances surrounding Nick Berg and his eventual murder.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
CIA/Moussad
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

Yeah, that HAS to be it...I mean, who would be better for a deep-cover CIA assignment in Iraq than a JEWISH guy who is a professed conservative Republican?  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

If you're right, he's a genuine martyr rather than a bumbling victim. Whichever it is, I hope our boys are writing his name on bullets tonight.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
It cant be a coincidence. He has to be a spook.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Well... he WAS working on Com infrastructure.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It cant be a coincidence. He has to be a spook.

No coincidence, the key is the father.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

yes indeed ! Thought so a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#30]
The plot thickens...

wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=864172&tw=wn_wire_story

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - The father of Nick Berg, the American beheaded in Iraq, directly blamed President Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on Thursday for his son's death.
"My son died for the sins of George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld. This administration did this," Berg said in an interview with radio station KYW-AM two days after a video showing the execution of his son was shown on an Islamist Web site.

In the interview from outside his home in West Chester, Pennsylvania, a seething Michael Berg also said his 26-year-old son, a civilian contractor, probably would have felt positive, even about his executioners, until the last minute.

"I am sure that he only saw the good in his captors until the last second of his life," Berg said. "They did not know what they were doing. They killed their best friend."

Asked to respond to Berg's comments about the president, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "The Berg family is going through a very difficult period and they remain in our thoughts and prayers."

Meanwhile, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee to challenge Bush in the November election, said he had spoken to Michael Berg to express sympathy. "I know as a father how I would feel if it were one of my daughters or stepsons. I think every American is pained by what is going on."

Asked if Bush had also called Nicholas Berg's family, McClellan said he had not but pointed to the president's public expressions of condolence to the family.

Michael Berg's criticism came amid finger-pointing between Berg's family, U.S. military officials and Iraqi police over the young businessman's imprisonment before his execution.

Berg rejected U.S. government claims that his son had never been held by American authorities in Iraq. The Iraqi police chief in the city of Mosul has also contradicted statements by the U.S.-led coalition concerning the younger Berg's detention.

'FBI CAME TO MY HOUSE'

"I have a written statement from the State Department in Baghdad ... saying that my son was being held by the military," Berg said. "I can also assure you that the FBI came to my house on March 31 and told me that the FBI had him in Mosul in an Iraqi prison."

CBS reported on Thursday that Berg was questioned by FBI agents who discovered he had been interviewed before because a computer password he used in college had turned up in the possession of accused Sept. 11 conspirator Zaccarias Moussaoui.

It said the FBI had concluded there was nothing sinister in that. The FBI had no comment on the report.

Dan Senor, spokesman for the Coalition Provisional Authority, said this week that Nick Berg was arrested in Mosul by Iraqi police on March 24 and released on April 6 and was visited by the FBI three times during his detention.

Brig.-Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the top U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said American military police had seen Berg during his detention to make sure he was being fed and treated properly.

Berg returned to Baghdad from Mosul in April and went missing on April 9, during a chaotic period when dozens of foreigners were snatched by guerrillas west of the capital.

His body was discovered by a road near Baghdad and the video of his decapitation was posted on the Internet.

Berg had been in Baghdad from late December to Feb. 1 and returned to Iraq in March. He did not find work and planned to return home at the end of March, according to his parents.

Berg's communications to his parents stopped on March 24 and he told them later he was jailed by Iraqi officials after being picked up at a checkpoint in Mosul.

On April 5, the Bergs filed a lawsuit against the U.S. government, naming Rumsfeld and alleging their son was being held illegally by the U.S. military in Iraq. The next day, he was released. (additional reporting by Maher al-Thanoon and Caren Bohan)

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Here is a thought. Bergs FATHER might be the way Moussaui got the e-mail account. Nick Berg abandoned it without closing it. His Dad probably knew it and gave it to "friends" in ANSWER.

I don't beleve in coincidence especally with E-mail accounts because the combinations are so large. But neither do I beleve that Nick Berg was involved with Al Qaida because no one can be found that can say he agreed with his fathers politics.  If he was CIA, I think CIA would claim him by now. No one is THAT deep cover.

At Langley, they have a wall of stars with no names, for those who have died serving our country anonymously.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#32]
One of 2 possibilities occurr to me:

1) He's an enemy sympathizer, kind of like the American commies who went to Chile when the commies came to power down there (before Pinochet ousted them)...

-or-

2) He was some sort of operative for somebody on our side.

The thought that he was on an 'Iraq sightseeing vacation' is absolutely absurd...
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
More food for thought...

www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=7391

Nicholas Berg: The Dots Do Not Connect

First off, I'll get the obligatory stuff out of the way: the videotaped beheading of 26-year-old American Nicholas Berg, now believed to have been done by al-Qaida linked terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is truly horrifying and an outrage.  It confirms that we must continue to fight the War On Terror using maximum force in any place necessary to ensure that these refugees from the Middle Ages are totally defeated.

Certainly Nicholas Berg is as innocent a victim of extreme Muslim atrocities as the 3,000 Americans killed on September 11, 2001, or the victims from the March 11, 2004, Madrid train bombings.  But there are many questions about Berg's fateful visit to Iraq which do not square with information given by his family or the U.S. Coalition story of what exactly happened and why he was detained.

First, what has been given as Berg's college background and how he came to run a one-man communications firm seems a little strange if not outright preposterous.  It was reported that Nick Berg attended four different colleges: the last was the University of Oklahoma where it is claimed he learned to install radio towers.  But Berg never received a college diploma.  Media reports said his one-man company was called Prometheus Methods Tower Service Inc. Reality check: it is virtually impossible to obtain such technical work as installing radio towers without a Professional Engineering license, let alone not having a college degree!

The first reports of his life story said that Berg supported President Bush in the War on Terror and helped install communications equipment at the 2000 Republican convention in Philadelphia.  But his father, Michael Berg, is a member of the off-the-charts anti-war group International ANSWER (''Act Now, Stop the War, and End Racism.'')  While children occasionally do not share the politics of their parents (I didn't), you have to wonder if telling the media that his kid was a Republican was something of a ruse to direct attention from Michael Berg's (and his son's) true politics.

Then there are the two 2004 trips to Iraq.  While most contractors travel directly to Baghdad, Nicholas Berg instead landed in Jordan and found his way by land into Iraq.  If indeed Berg was a one-man contractor installing radio towers, it would seem difficult to get any work in Iraq without (a) initially consummating commitments while still in the United States, and (b) having a link to a larger construction company such as Bechtel or (dirty word alert) Halliburton!  As yet no radio towers that Nicholas Berg may have built while in Iraq on either trip have been identified.

We know that Nick Berg was bouncing around Iraq until he was detained either by Iraqi police or the U.S. Military in Mosul on March 24.  I'll give his dad the benefit of the doubt here: Nicholas was definitely being detained by the coalition for any of the following suspicions:

a) He was loaded with electronics equipment, supposedly for his work on radio communications towers.  Possessing sophisticated electronic gear in a war zone without producing any paperwork to prove that he is building radio towers probably set off alarm bells.

b) It was likely that Berg was on an FBI ''watch'' list.  FBI agents interviewed Berg a few years ago when they were investigating the September 11 terrorist attacks because, unbeknownst to him, Zacarias Moussaoui, the so-called 20th hijacker, had used his e-mail account when both were in Oklahoma.  On Thursday Fox News reported that the FBI dismissed the link between Berg and Moussaoui as ''coincidental.''

c) Speaking on condition of anonymity in one media report, a U.S. official said Iraqi authorities detained Berg ''for his own protection'' because his behavior in Mosul seemed unusual for a Westerner.  Plus Berg, who was Jewish, had in his possession texts that were considered ''anti-Semitic'' in tone.  One of his friends has been quoted as saying that the Iraqi police thought Berg was an Israeli spy.  To add insult to injury, Berg was also carrying some literature written in Farsi including a book about Iran.

d) On April 10, after he was released, Berg visited an Iraqi man who was once married to his aunt.  Question: did his former uncle have political ties that caused any suspicions for the coalition?

e) Because he belongs to a far-left peace group and was known to authorities, Nicholas Berg's father likely raised a red flag and was a possible reason that the FBI visited the family in suburban Philadelphia at least three times during the 13 days that Berg was detained.

On April 5, Michael Berg filed a lawsuit alleging that his son was being held illegally in Iraq.  Either Iraqi police or coalition authorities released Nicholas Berg the following day.  From both his e-mails and interviews with friends, we know that Berg was moving around Iraq through April 10.  It is unclear what happened next.  On Wednesday, State Department spokeswoman Kelly Shannon claimed that the U.S. consular extended an offer to assist Berg to depart Iraq by plane to Jordan.  But according to his dad, Berg refused, believing that flying out of Baghdad airport was too dangerous and instead he wanted to try driving to Kuwait.  In another published report, a friend said Berg wanted to leave by riding through Jordan.  Driving in Jordan or to Kuwait when offered a plane ticket home makes no sense: since the fall of Saddam, Baghdad Airport, heavily guarded by coalition forces, is probably as safe as any place in Iraq.

Between April 10 and May 8, when his decapitated body was found hanging from an overpass in Baghdad, Nicholas Berg's whereabouts are unknown.  In the rambling speech seen on the grizzly video just before he was decapitated, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi indicated that he could have traded Berg for hostages being held by the coalition.  If true, and believing a terrorist is always a stretch, one question arises among many: why was there no announcement through Al Jazeera, similar to other hostages, that Berg was being held?      

To be sure, Nicholas Berg's brutal murder is a great tragedy that has much of the nation and the civilized world outraged.  Ironically, Berg's death may do what his old man doesn't want: galvanize American resolve to win the War on Terror!  Perhaps amidst the haze of statements from government officials and from a father who may have a hidden political agenda, maybe we can eventually get the real story of the curious life and tragic death of Nicholas Berg.

Ira Simmons

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
"I am sure that he only saw the good in his captors until the last second of his life," Berg said. "They did not know what they were doing. They killed their best friend."

Me thinks this riddler needs to spend some quality time in the batcave, ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
More food for thought...

www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=7391

Someone stop my head from spinning.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#36]
something stinx
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At Langley, they have a wall of stars with no names, for those who have died serving our country anonymously.

How many of those were US citizens killed on national TV?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#38]
 things that make you go Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I heard on Hannity or Susteren the Berg had a copy of the Koran as well as anti semitic literature in his possession when he was detained in Mosul.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:24:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Oklahoma? Hmmm, I wonder if all that was about the time that building blew apart?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:58:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Oklahoma? Hmmm, I wonder if all that was about the time that building blew apart?

You're grabbing at shit, just like the knuckleheads trying to connect Berg with these others. The OKC bombing took place in 1995 -- while Nick Berg was in HIGH SCHOOL.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:16:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

AND I REPEAT...a CIA operative sent to Iraq who is JEWISH, doesn't speak the language, isn't armed and is a self-avowed pro-war conservative?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Personaly I think everyone is reading way to much into this.  To  me, he is simply a liberal raised by liberal parents in the wrong place at the wrong time much like the bulldozer girl.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

AND I REPEAT...a CIA operative sent to Iraq who is JEWISH, doesn't speak the language, isn't armed and is a self-avowed pro-war conservative?

Only if you believe everything you read and hear.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:10:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Personaly I think everyone is reading way to much into this.  To  me, he is simply a liberal raised by liberal parents in the wrong place at the wrong time much like the bulldozer girl.

Tj

Once again, if we only listen to TJ.  I agree, wholeheartedly.  While most of us would just as soon punch Nick Berg's father in the face, I believe Nick Berg shared his father's politics.  I believe he was there looking for a way to aid the enemy, a young left-wing, anti-war idealist in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
CIA/Moussad

Hmmmm.........That remind me of a movie that I just saw recently on Cable TV.  A CIA agent (Donald Shutherland) recruited an U.S Naval Officer to work with the Israeli Intelligence Mossad (Ben Kingsley) to infiltrate and capture a well known terrorist "Carlos the Jackal".

Interesting.

Berg, a converted Jew, could very well be this person working for the Israeli Intelligence to locate and capture Al-Zarqawi?

If this is to be true....My complete trust that the Mossad will return the favor in kind.

Also that "cell phone saleman" thing remind me of another Palestinian terrorist (a master bomb maker) who got himself, his head blown off by a cell phone. He! He! He! Nice work there.

Nervertheless, Berg was one of the good guy and did not derserve to die like that.

Disclaimer: Again, I was only reading and watching movie here.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I also heard he was in Africa in two other war zones previously. He's got to be spook or an EXTREMELY misguided youth with a propensity for coincidence.
Too fishy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#48]
The odds that Mousaoui would end up with his email address have to be astronomical.  There must be billions of email addresses in the US alone.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:21:48 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The odds that Mousaoui would end up with his email address have to be astronomical.  There must be billions of email addresses in the US alone.

GunLvr

I agree
but i cant see any Jew, even the most liberal, helping Muslims
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

I agree
but i cant see any Jew, even the most liberal, helping Muslims

We never know....In a world of "Spook" to infiltrate an organization, one got to blend in and be part of the organization.  So, my guess is that it is possible that Nick Berg and Massoui were in contact in some form.  

Edited to say:  Again, I was only reading, and speculating here. No proof of any sort. You can call it BS.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top