Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2003 1:27:20 PM EDT
I ride a mountain Bike for exercise but do most of my riding on the road. I go out almost everyday after work and ride 10 miles or so. In my area most of the roads are new and modern with well marked bike lanes. The problem is "I can't get no respect!". Almost getting hit, cutoff and just flat run over is a daily occurrence. People on cell phones seem to be the worst offenders. Especially women driving minivans. The most frequent stunt I run across is the person that just has to pass you then slam their brakes on and make a right turn cutting you off. The other is when coming into an intersection and oncoming traffic making a left turn in front of you. Any others here experience this same disrespect? I've been hit once already and what really pisses me off is my 11yo son is usually riding with me. We both are expert mountain bikers and have on many occasions been able to avoid what might have been tragic accidents for more inexperienced riders.... –RR
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I noticed you are in Arizona.

I raced/rode extensively in college (SDSU) and can tell you horror stories of vehicular mayhem.

Anyway, I was out with the team at a MTB race in Arizona one summer and it dawned on us.... open carry in Arizona.

And as only a 21 year old's mind can work, we strapped on our UM84 holsters and our .45s and went for a quick training ride. We of course had our cycling gear on also, which made us quite the fashion statement.

Anyway, cars were great. I have never seen such an attitude shift before.

Take it for what its worth.

-Z

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Visit Amsterdam someday, and ride a bike around.  It's a bizarre experience.  You can ride on the roads, and car drivers treat you as an equal.  There are designated bike lanes, although it's not really necessary.  Ring your bell, and everyone's head on the street pivots towards you.  Compare that to here, where some drivers try to run you down because they hate the idea of a bicyclist on THEIR road.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it dawned on us.... open carry in Arizona.

Anyway, cars were great. I have never seen such an attitude shift before.

View Quote

[lol] Gee! I wonder why!

You want to talk about No Respect?  
I live in Philadelphia, try road biking after work (rush hour) in the city. I take my life in my hands just to get a quick 25 mile ride in a couple times a week.[BD]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I ride my bike to work everyday, and haven't had a problem with traffic yet.  Of course I am on Diego Garcia right now. [BD]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I ride my bike to work everyday, and haven't had a problem with traffic yet.  Of course I am on Diego Garcia right now. [BD]

CHRIS
View Quote

dont let the chickens and crabs run you over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Then stay out of the fast lane ya nit wit! [:D]
All kidding aside roadrunner, how do you think we drivers feel when we have to almost get into a head on accident just because your fellow bikers feel they have to ride the line?
Do you realize how many times we are placed in jeopardy just to avoid a person on a bike because they feel they have right of way?
If you bought a mountain bike, then take it on the hundreds of trails we have here in AZ., and stay off the major roadways!
Sorry, I am not mad at you in particular, but I was almost in an accident today because one of your spandex clad bretheren on Usery pass today.

Edited to add: I'm not anti bike.
Just anti fool. (you know who I mean).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to stay in the minds of drivers, and bike lanes can be dangerous that way. If they're too far to the right, or, worse, completly separated from the road the drivers will forget about you, then cut you off when they make turns.

Ride just to the right of traffic. This is better anyway, since that region of the road is usually swept clean by the draft of passing vehicles. That gets you out and visible. If the road gets narrow you may need to get out and completly take over the lane by riding in the middle of it, to discourage drivers from trying to squeeze by in an unsafe manner.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Bikes have NO business on the roads. They endanger drivers and the bike rider. Use the side walk or take it off road! Legal or not, its stupid!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I am cool with bicyclists on the road, but I think you are nuts for doing it. I will ride my mountain bike in the mountains, I feel safer jumping off rock outcroppings than in daily traffic.
One of the girls I ride with continues to road bike even after getting hit twice in three years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bikes have NO business on the roads. They endanger drivers and the bike rider. Use the side walk or take it off road! Legal or not, its stupid!!
View Quote

Same roads, same rules, same rights.  A person on a bike should be allowed to ride on every road that is open to a bicycle.  However, here in MI one is very foolish if they follow that advice.  Know the roads, if it is a main road, stay off, and find another way.  I know what risk I take every time I clip in to my pedals, I accept that, and continue to pedal away everyday.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Since when are bicycle registereds like a car? You got a lisence for that kid, How about insurance? If you are going to be on the road with vehicles you should at least play by the same rules. If you don't like it get the fuck off the road.
You have to either be stupid or crazy to try to share the road with some of these people behind the wheel.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading the local bird diaper one day about two ladies were tired of the car drivers almost hitting them, I called the New York Times wannabe.

I asked the idiot if he had done any research before he had printed his story. As in contacting the people that designed the road. The printer of lies said "no, that he had just talked to the two ladies".

I then told the lazy S.O.B. that I was one of the engineers that had worked on the design of the road. And that if he had looked at the picture that was printed with fiction he called a story, he would have noticed a 10 foot paved bike path.

This 10 foot paved bike path, was requested by the local bike clubs. They input on its design. How many curves, hills, straights etc.

Yet, the two ladies in his story didn't want to use it as it was dirty. The road was also dirty, but it made for better press if there was a chance that you could get hit by a car.

Oh, and by the way. Bike paths cost just about as must as roads do. So next time you see a brand new paved bike path and the spandex bike rider is still using the rode just remember, It's your tax dollars that paid for it..

ED
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a roommate that was hit from behind by a car when he was on his bike. It was the day before christmas. He was in a comma for several weeks and when he woke up he did not even know his name. He has NO CLUE as to what his life before the accident was. To this day the only reason he knows anything about his past is because people tell him and he takes their word for it.

Imagine two strangers walking into a room with you and saying HI we are your parents and your name is [insert name] and you are 30 years old.

30 years are gone!!

STAY OFF THE ROADS!! The fact that it may be legal is irrelevant!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, bullshit. I've raced and trained on roads for tens of thousands of miles and I think I know a thing or two about it.

If you're on a bike act like a vehicle. Don't run stop signs and lights, and ride in a predictable way. That's all there is to it. If you're serious about commuting or riding read "Effective Cycling" by John Forrester, which has all you need to know about riding in an urban environment.

For commuting separate bike paths are in fact much more dangerous than riding on the road. Most of the car/bike accidents involve turning, and whenever the bike path intersects a cross road there's a huge increase in the risk of collision as cars make right-hand turns and bikes come from an unexpected direction. Plus most bike paths are too narrow for the speeds involved, and infested with roller bladers and pedestrians. Give me a couple feet of shoulder any day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's see...you have a bicycle doing 15 mph "on" the white line in a 45 mph zone and a steady stream of oncoming traffic. I'm going to ride behind the bicycle at 15 mph all the way to work cause' I don't want to risk hitting him/her. NOT!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh, bullshit. I've raced and trained on roads for tens of thousands of miles and I think I know a thing or two about it.
View Quote

Ok Genious...tell that to my roommate!! Explain to him its perfectly safe and he should continue to do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Same roads, same rules, same rights.  A person on a bike should be allowed to ride on every road that is open to a bicycle.  However, here in MI one is very foolish if they follow that advice.  Know the roads, if it is a main road, stay off, and find another way.  I know what risk I take every time I clip in to my pedals, I accept that, and continue to pedal away everyday.
View Quote

If bikes can keep up with traffic, fine, but if not you are a hazzard.  I constantly have bicyclists riding two or three abreast on the somewhat country road to my house at about 10-15 miles an hour on a 45mph road.  The worst part is every year they shut down the road for a weekend to hold a bicycle race causing me to travel about five to ten miles out of my way depending on where I want to go.  And then they give you attitude.  I HATE THOSE FUCKERS!

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Your roommate could have gotten waxed driving a car, riding his motorcycle, or walking his doggie. It's part of life.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]
There's usually plenty of room for cars to pass. You can easily spot this by looking at the gravel and debris on the road shoulder. US drivers are very consistent in the paths they take and the draft caused by the line of cars will sweep the road clear for several feet past the path of the cars. The bike rides in this swept area, the cars pass by, and everyone is happy.

Depending on the road, the swept area usually extends a foot or two past the fog line and the cars are several feet to the left of that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your roommate could have gotten waxed driving a car, riding his motorcycle, or walking his doggie. It's part of life.
View Quote

A SMART person would try to minimize the risk instead of pissing in the wind.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

CHRIS
View Quote

Wait till you hit a landcrab......ouch
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Wow I am constantly amazed by the lack of common courtesy and tolerance around here.  

If I see someone riding their bikes in a SAFE manner, (with the flow, on the right, not weaving, etc.)  I give them space pass when I can.   Even when I encounter the common team of road racers, I cut them slack and give them space.   When I feel annoyed by them for being there, I remind myself that I rode on the side of the road for many years and would like to treat people as I was and would like my children to be if they ever have to ride on the side of a public road.    I also remind myself that I am sitting on my fat lazy ass in a nice comfy seat in my heated/air conditioned truck while these people are execising in the elements.   Just because you are in a car doesnt make you superior to any other vehicle / pedestrian on the road.   As for the person whining that they get slowed down on the way to work I have a suggestion....leave a bit earlier so you have a cushion for unexpected delays and for that morning commute switch to decaf.    Seriously share the road and be courteous...the world does not revolve around you.  (sorry if that comes as a surprise)    Life is best lived as "Treat others the way you'd like to be treated".    

One of my biggest complaints of current day is the complete lack of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.    Let's blame crime on guns, lets blame being late for work on traffic / cyclists (can you expect either every morning? I know I can)  lets  blame juniors fat ass on McDonalds.    The buck stops with each of us,  this requires some moral character.    When  you show up a few minutes late, it is easier to blame some slow driving bastard or cyclist that acknowledge that you could have left a little earlier  to be on time.    What?! you made a right turn and cut off a cyclist/pedestrian?  WTF were they doing on my road?!  Orrrr....I made a turn without checking to see if I was clear...after all I was talking on my cell or running late.    

Rules to try to live by ;

1.  Treat others the way you want to be treated.
2.  Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.   (yes Uncle Murphy does tag along....for you boyscouts...be prepared)
3.  The buck stops here...no passing blame.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I commute to work every day, 15 miles each way on my bike.  

Most drivers are courteous and give space when passing.  Then there are a few like the ones that have posted above.

There are plenty of places to pass a bicycle on the road in a safe manner.  Would it slow you down too much to wait until oncoming traffic clears to pass a cyclist?  You will only get stopped at the next traffic light anyway?

Per Ohio state law, my bicycle is a vehicle, and I am obligated to obey all traffic laws as such.  I ride on the right, with traffic, obeying all signals and stop signs.  

I pay taxes for roads just like everyone else.  My family has 2 cars, mine just sits home most of the time.

I have as much right to the road as any car.  It is not too much to ask for 18" on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Some of your responses are incredible. With those attitudes it's no wonder I run across so many *ssholes. First of all I'm not some arrogant spandex wearing road biker who thinks he owns the road. I'm a levis and work boots wearing type of guy. My son and I do stay off road and on sidewalks when we can. I'm talking about almost getting run over when we are in a CROSS WALK and the signal is clearly flashing the words WALK! People look us right in the eye and still cut us off. It's the blatant shit that is totally out of line.
How can people be so foolish as to think myself and most other bicycle riders don't also drive a vehicle as much as they do. I don't have a problem showing respect for others when I'm driving my Ford truck or riding my Harley. Nahhhhh, for those who think bicycles don't belong on the road and that my kid can't expect to be safe crossing a crosswalk? There's something very wrong with your thinking. If you run across me and cut me off just hope the light ahead doesn't turn red allowing me to catch up to you..... I believe in paybacks... and it will happen... and has. Suddenly the tough guy behind the wheel of a 3,000lb vehicle aint so tough no more.
--RR
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]A SMART person would try to minimize the risk instead of pissing in the wind.[/b]

better sell all your guns off and minimize the risk of shooting yourself or someone else.

[b] If bikes can keep up with traffic, fine, but if not you are a hazzard.[/b]

so...mopeds, tractors, slow trucks, etc. should also be banned from the highways?

[b]The worst part is every year they shut down the road for a weekend to hold a bicycle race causing me to travel about five to ten miles out of my way depending on where I want to go.[/b]

gee. how awful! i hope you didn't strain a toe muscle pressing down on your accellerator pedal.

ban parades! ban construction! ban motorcades! ban anything that inconveniences ME!!!

[b]You got a lisence for that kid,[/b]

i don't need one. why? i don't tear up the roads like your vehicles do.

[b]How about insurance?[/b]

i carry 1/2 million per incident. how about you?

[b]If you are going to be on the road with vehicles you should at least play by the same rules.[/b]

we do. it's called the uniform motorvehicle code.

[b]If you don't like it get the fuck off the road.[/b]

why don't you try making me?

[b]All kidding aside roadrunner, how do you think we drivers feel when we have to almost get into a head on accident just because your fellow bikers feel they have to ride the line?[/b]

and 'who's' fault is that? slow down. if YOU almost get into accidents, it's because you are driving at the edge of control over YOUR vehicle. if the cyclist is riding legally, the responsibility for control of YOUR vehicle is squarely on YOUR shoulders.

[b]Do you realize how many times we are placed in jeopardy just to avoid a person on a bike because they feel they have right of way?[/b]

you mean to say...how many times you place YOURSELF in jeapardy because the cyclist HAS the right of way.

learn the rules of the road and obey them.

[b]Bikes have NO business on the roads.[/b]

moron drivers have no business on the road.

[b] They endanger drivers and the bike rider.[/b]

cars/trucks kill 50k per year...of each others' drivers. now, just 'where' does the danger lie???

[b]Use the side walk or take it off road![/b]

not a chance.

[b]Let's see...you have a bicycle doing 15 mph "on" the white line in a 45 mph zone and a steady stream of oncoming traffic. I'm going to ride behind the bicycle at 15 mph all the way to work cause' I don't want to risk hitting him/her. NOT![/b]

go ahead. hit me. especially after making the stupid statement you just typed.

it would be my pleasure to have you working for me for the rest of your days.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#30]
As always Campybob, well said.

When I come back from a ride my wife will ask how it went. If she wasn't out with me. Not bad is usually my reply. I only had to flip one person off.

An old ex racer buddy of mine had a habit of beating on car hoods when they got too close. That always made for an eventful ride.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#31]
[b]Having three bikes abreast and crowding the road is arrogant ont he part of the bikers, though.[/b]

2-abreast is legal in ohio.

[b]Perhaps single file the view sucks?;)[/b]

nope. riding single file and drafting is the most efficient technique for multiple cyclists to travel. on a level road, up to 88% of a cyclist's energy is spent pushing the air out of his/her way. the higher the speed, the more drafting makes sense. (iirc, aero drag goes up with the square of the speed)

i have trained and raced since i was 18 (i'm now 50)...most of that time with my front wheel 6" behind the guy in front of me and more guys behind my rear wheel.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
An old ex racer buddy of mine had a habit of beating on car hoods when they got too close. That always made for an eventful ride.
View Quote

not nice to piss off a driver of a 3000 lb rolling steel box.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I still don't see why bicycles should be on the road with vehicles. Are bicycles contributing anything towards the roads? If they were being taxed or registered for road use I would not have a problem with them at all.

If you don't like my opinion, Stuff it! Sideways where the sun don't shine!

Cruizer
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#34]
let's see.  a 2,000-10,000 8' wide steel box with wheels traveling at 50-75MPH and moving in a 10-12' wide strip of pavement.  that must share it with a human on a piece of tubing at traveling at 10MPH.  Mr.  Darwin time for an award!

why not just let people walk and jog in the street?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
how do you think we drivers feel when we have to almost get into a head on accident just because your fellow bikers feel they have to ride the line?
Do you realize how many times we are placed in jeopardy just to avoid a person on a bike because they feel they have right of way?
View Quote

There's a very good reason for "riding the line". The trash, broken bottles, and shredded tires get deposited on and just over the line, so we ride on the main road to avoid that stuff, since high pressure tires puncture fairly easily.

Also, in Texas we have a lot of highways with the grooves pressed into the shoulder as a warning track, and this makes it impossible to ride on the shoulder.

I always try to stay as far right as possible, but sometimes have to stay in the lane. I agree with a previous poster, if people would drive more under control, they wouldn't have to drive like an Indy racer to avoid bikes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#36]
If you don't like my opinion, Stuff it! Sideways where the sun don't shine!
View Quote

LOL![moon]... The internet, land of the monitor tough and the keyboard brave.... lol
--RR

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I think there is a real conflict in how bikes are used vs the "motorvehicle code".  Let's say that you are driving your car and you come to a red light.  The cars back up 5 deep behind you.  Every cyclist that I've ever seen won't think twice about cruising right past all six cars and pulling right up to the line.  Can a car legally do this?  No.  There is only one lane.  So while cyclists claim they have the same rights as motorists, they don't seem to want to obey the laws.  I've seen many cyclists who don't think they have to stop at stop signs.  They just roll on through counting on everyone else to yield to them.  I've also seen people riding 3 across, taking up the whole lane.  To me, that's just rude as he!!.
Personally, I would be happier if cyclists were not present highways.  But, I don't want to impose that view on everyone (or at least try to), so instead I would just ask that cyclists obey the rules that come along with their rights.

As a side note, my wife had a cyclist do a flip over her hood when she was doing a right turn on red.  He was illegally riding on the sidewalk.  He got up and rode off in a hurry.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Unless a bicycle is insured, registered, tagged, and has payed the SAME ROAD TAXES as a car they do not have any right to be on the road.  Period.  If you think you can argue with this fact, try arguing the laws of physics with a 4000 lb car or 5000 lb pickup.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:29:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think there is a real conflict in how bikes are used vs the "motorvehicle code".  Let's say that you are driving your car and you come to a red light.  The cars back up 5 deep behind you.  Every cyclist that I've ever seen won't think twice about cruising right past all six cars and pulling right up to the line.  Can a car legally do this?  No.  There is only one lane.  So while cyclists claim they have the same rights as motorists, they don't seem to want to obey the laws.  I've seen many cyclists who don't think they have to stop at stop signs.  They just roll on through counting on everyone else to yield to them.  I've also seen people riding 3 across, taking up the whole lane.  To me, that's just rude as he!!.
Personally, I would be happier if cyclists were not present highways.  But, I don't want to impose that view on everyone (or at least try to), so instead I would just ask that cyclists obey the rules that come along with their rights.

As a side note, my wife had a cyclist do a flip over her hood when she was doing a right turn on red.  He was illegally riding on the sidewalk.  He got up and rode off in a hurry.

Jim
View Quote

Actually in some states 'Lane sharing' by bicyclists and even Motorcyclists is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Unless a bicycle is insured, registered, tagged, and has payed the SAME ROAD TAXES as a car they do not have any right to be on the road.  Period.  If you think you can argue with this fact, try arguing the laws of physics with a 4000 lb car or 5000 lb pickup.
View Quote

Fine, lets set up taxes by the wear and tear a vehicle puts on the road, want to drive a heavier vehicle pay MORE in taxes.  A bicycle contributes negligable amounts of wear and tear on roadways.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#41]
My previous post reads a little threatening I think.  Didn't intend for it to be.  I don't hate bicylists or get offended when they roll through stop signs or whatever.  They're not cars, and can't be expected to operate as cars.

It does offend me that there are lanes setup for them that have been payed for by my tax dollars.  I think they should just take their chances. [;D]  If every kid I knew growing up could handle it, so can adults.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#42]
[b]An old ex racer buddy of mine had a habit of beating on car hoods when they got too close. That always made for an eventful ride.[/b]

i have smacked my share of fenders/doors/windows.

if i can touch your 3500 lb. weapon, you are TOO CLOSE for safety. period.

SOME of you folks want YOUR rights respected and refuse to respect the rights of others.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#43]
[b]Unless a bicycle is insured, registered, tagged, and has payed the SAME ROAD TAXES as a car they do not have any right to be on the road. Period.[/b]

tell it to the law. simply put, you are incorrect. period. road use taxes are placed on those that cause the roads to be maintains. a 19lb. bicycle and 160 lb. rider do no damage to the pavement.

but, let's look at it in this fashion... my guess is that 99.5% of adult cyclists pay plenty of taxes on their licensed vehicles...which aren't out pounding the asphalt when the bicycle is rolling.

[b]If you think you can argue with this fact, try arguing the laws of physics with a 4000 lb car or 5000 lb pickup.[/b]

you want physics? try arguing the facts with my attorney. now THERE'S an unmovable object and a force to be reckoned with. how much do you you earn? both he and i would like our fair share.

it is YOUR responsibility to maintain control of YOURSELF and YOUR vehicle. period.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#44]
You should get offended when cyclists roll through stop signs and stop lights. They key to riding safely on a bike is predictability, and the state has developed elaborate rules for predictable behavior by vehicles.

Many cyclists think bikes are a toy, like back when they were ten years old, and therefore do not have to obey any rules. They're not.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#45]
[b]It does offend me that there are lanes setup for them that have been payed for by my tax dollars.[/b]

"if" there weren't so many folks with attitudes like the ones that replied to this post, bike lanes would be completely unnecessary!

[b]I think they should just take their chances.[/b]

trust me...we DO! every ride is an adventure out into the land of moron cage drivers. i find the same thing true whenever i ride my harley's.

[b] If every kid I knew growing up could handle it, so can adults.[/b]

in 32 years of road training/racing/riding, i've do far more than "handle" the morons i've run encountered on the road.

the question being begged is. "why" should anyone have to 'handle' purposeful danger and risk?".

and i have a couple of questions? just where in the name of sam hell are all you people going in such a hurry? is it THAT important that you would willingly put a human being's life in danger over? do you think it is your "right" to do such?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#46]
[b]THESE[/b] are why people try to run you over:

[img]http://www.bikingdestinations.com/images/pants.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#47]
no, lumpy...[B]THESE[/B] are why we get run over.

mulletheaded boi racer wannabees with nowhere important to go, yet just have to be there 10 minutes ago.

[img]http://www.mulletsgalore.com/classifications/10/100_nascar_matrix/images/matrixman.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#48]
CampyBob

Cage drivers are in a hurry to get home to watch Oprah or Dr. Phil or some such shit, while riding the couch, building on their spare tires.

In traffic, I can usually keep up with traffic, light to light.  Everyone is in a big freakin' hurry, racing to the next red light...

Bob
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#49]
[b]In traffic, I can usually keep up with traffic, light to light.[/b]

yup. in town/urban/city traffic a bicycle is often as fast as the vehicle traffic.

of course, using the logic of the poster above that suggested speed determines who has the "right" to be on the road one can extrapolate that road department backhoes are illegal. and unlicensed, untaxed farm equipment/implements also have no cause to slow down mr. important. god forbid another slow vehicle cause mr. life-in-the-fastlane to drop below the legal limit for a few hundred yards.

i can well imagine how many times these folks set fuming in their cushy, plush seats...pissed off at the world...swearing under their breath...on the verge of a coronary throbosis.

it's obvious, some people have some real issues.

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
[b]It does offend me that there are lanes setup for them that have been payed for by my tax dollars.[/b]

"if" there weren't so many folks with attitudes like the ones that replied to this post, bike lanes would be completely unnecessary!

[b]I think they should just take their chances.[/b]

trust me...we DO! every ride is an adventure out into the land of moron cage drivers. i find the same thing true whenever i ride my harley's.

[b] If every kid I knew growing up could handle it, so can adults.[/b]

in 32 years of road training/racing/riding, i've do far more than "handle" the morons i've run encountered on the road.

the question being begged is. "why" should anyone have to 'handle' purposeful danger and risk?".

and i have a couple of questions? just where in the name of sam hell are all you people going in such a hurry? is it THAT important that you would willingly put a human being's life in danger over? do you think it is your "right" to do such?
View Quote

Amen brother! My sentiments exactly. Keep the chrome side up my friend. --RR
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top