Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:09:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:10:49 AM EST
[Mr. Burns] Exccccellent [/Mr.Burns]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:11:25 AM EST
A bulging lava dome can't be a good thing.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:17 AM EST
As long as it takes out a lot of smelly hippies it's all good...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By osprey21:
A bulging lava dome can't be a good thing.

Isnt there supposed to be some rising bubble thing in Yellowstone, and its supposed to explode and kill like everyone in the middle of the country or some such shit?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:02 AM EST
Volcano cam just went offline .....

www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:04 AM EST
It's all Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:11 AM EST
It won't be nearly as bad as the 1980 one (hell, there's not enough volcano to do that)! I remember 1980, I was 4 years old at the time and had to wear a mask because of all the ash in the air, and I live 3 hours away from it at the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:13:41 AM EST
[Holy Grail] Run away, Run away [Holy Grail]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:14:12 AM EST
I wonder if they have gotten any better about predicting eruptions. I got caught behind that thing 1 too many times when I lived out that way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:17:45 AM EST
Nobody sends out advisories when my lava dome bulges.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:17:46 AM EST
So far this month....

Hurricanes
Floods
EarthquakesVolcanoes ?

Hmmm

GM

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:18:45 AM EST
volcano cam back online
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:20 AM EST
Missing the cats and dogs living together...

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:
So far this month....

Hurricanes
Floods
EarthquakesVolcanoes ?

Hmmm

GM

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:22:20 AM EST
gah! I am stationed up here in washington, I thought I was escaping the hurricanes coming up here, little did I know..........
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:23:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 10:24:29 AM EST by ANGST]

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
volcano cam back online

Are those clouds ? did did it just blow ?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:24:37 AM EST
It's WASHINGTON STATE, it's always cloudy and rainey here......

Originally Posted By ANGST:
Are those clouds ? did did it just blow ?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:30:31 AM EST
For you that are stationed there you have all those mountains that is considered the ring of fire,they are all SLEEPING VOLCANOES!!! I have been waiting for one to just start the whole chain reaction for that area.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:31:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

Isnt there supposed to be some rising bubble thing in Yellowstone, and its supposed to explode and kill like everyone in the middle of the country or some such shit?

Do a Google for 'Yellowstone Super Volcano' and you'll get lots of hits... National Geographic had a program on the Yellowstone super volcano last week. They did a 'what if' and basically, we're all real dead... the nasty death from Kashin-Beck's disease due to inhaling ash would kill half of North America...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:34:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 10:39:39 AM EST by GTTacoma]
Micro-quakes are also on the increase at Yellowstone this week. Not as many as at Mt St Helens, but about a 150% increase.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:35:32 AM EST

So far this month....

Hurricanes
Floods
EarthquakesVolcanoes ?

Hmmm

... and every month in the past 100,000,000 years
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:47:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By DarkStar:

Do a Google for 'Yellowstone Super Volcano' and you'll get lots of hits... National Geographic had a program on the Yellowstone super volcano last week. They did a 'what if' and basically, we're all real dead... the nasty death from Kashin-Beck's disease due to inhaling ash would kill half of North America...

+1

Saw a diagram of how much of the US they thought would be destroyed and unliveable. It was basically from the Mississippi- West would be utterly destroyed. Not to mention how much dust and junk would be thrown into the air...

But look on the bright side, those of us east of the Mississip would sure have pretty sunsets until we died...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:53:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By macman37:

+1

Saw a diagram of how much of the US they thought would be destroyed and unliveable. It was basically from the Mississippi- West would be utterly destroyed. Not to mention how much dust and junk would be thrown into the air...

But look on the bright side, those of us east of the Mississip would sure have pretty sunsets until we died...

Soooo, how do we plan for this?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:56:35 AM EST

So far this month....

Hurricanes
Floods
EarthquakesVolcanoes ?

Hmmm

GM

Holy crap, "The Day After Tomorrow" is actually starting to happen

And its George Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:56:52 AM EST

+1

All I care about are the zombies.
Where are the zombies??
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:01:40 AM EST
Oh great that pic updates every few minutes, now its nice and sunny, and I look silly
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:04:55 AM EST

+1

Since most agriculture and food production will probably be wiped out, I'm personally planning on it by making a list of which neighbors I'm going to eat in what order.

After I'm done iwht my neighbors, I'll be going after the free-range and feral humans.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:07:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

+1

Since most agriculture and food production will probably be wiped out, I'm personally planning on it by making a list of which neighbors I'm going to eat in what order.

After I'm done iwht my neighbors, I'll be going after the free-range and feral humans.

Do you have any recipes or cleaning/skinning advice on this species? Also, whats a good caliber for hunting these "neighbors" you speak of? Do they drop pretty easy or will I have to do some tracking?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:08:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
It's all Bush's fault.

You beat me to it!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:10:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 11:11:55 AM EST by macman37]

+1

Here's a graphic of how big the destruction *could* be (see the "ashfall from 2 million year old Yellowstone eruption" part):

Plan accordingly. However, I'm no seismologist by a long shot!

EDIT: I placed the wrong pic
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:15:21 AM EST
All I know is, I was 9 when it blew the first time, may 18, 1980. Watched it live from my grandmothers house. This time, I am just up river in OR and will watch it again, with my kids.

CH

or?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:17:08 AM EST

+1

Here's a graphic of how big the destruction *could* be (see the "ashfall from 2 million year old Yellowstone eruption" part):

exodus2006.com/ashfall.JPG

If this one goes off, we're fucked!

BTW, I read on one volcanic web page that since 1980, there has been a 400% increase of volcanic activity world wide.
It was a few years ago, I am going to try and find it and post a link.

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:17:12 AM EST

+1

exodus2006.com/ashfall.JPG

WH HO!! Finally! A storm that dosnt place where I live in the "Cone Of Death"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:19:10 AM EST
Hey anyone ever visited Crater Lake in Oregon.........

MT
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:21 AM EST

Do you have any recipes or cleaning/skinning advice on this species? Also, whats a good caliber for hunting these "neighbors" you speak of? Do they drop pretty easy or will I have to do some tracking?

I think you can prepare the meat pretty much like any other - but I have heard warnings not to eat the brain (it's no laughing matter ). As with other animals, I'd be sure to get the fully grown healthy ones - and avoid the ones that are all old and gristly. Also avoid the really large ones, since many of them are mostly fat (unless you are running out of soap, candlewax or grease). Not sure about skinning and cleaning, but I hear that Afghan and Pathan tribesmen have developed various technicques for that.

Extensive research conducted on this species (sometimes called "wars") suggests that they can be hunted with a variety of calibers, and many have been used throughout history. You cannot go wrong with .308 or .30-06, especially at longer ranges, but .223 should be fine for most. As usual, shot placement is more important than particular caliber.

How difficult they are to hunt and track depends on the variety. The urban ones are ridiculously easy to find, and will likely just stand and stare at you. Suburban ones are similar, but might try to hide in Home Depots or movie multiplexes. The rural variety of the species are likely to be difficult to track, and may be quite dangerous.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:31:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:33:40 AM EST
I survived the eruption in 1980 by running down to the Columbia River to avoid the lava, smoke and ash. All I have to say is "Bring it bitch!!!"
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:34:09 AM EST
the only way to plan for it is to buy mor AR's
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:34:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
(Nothing ever seems to happen at the north pole or in Antarctica, except cold and wind.)

...and that pesky hole in the ozone layer!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:42:24 AM EST

I think you can prepare the meat pretty much like any other - but I have heard warnings not to eat the brain (it's no laughing matter ). As with other animals, I'd be sure to get the fully grown healthy ones - and avoid the ones that are all old and gristly. Also avoid the really large ones, since many of them are mostly fat (unless you are running out of soap, candlewax or grease). Not sure about skinning and cleaning, but I hear that Afghan and Pathan tribesmen have developed various technicques for that.

Extensive research conducted on this species (sometimes called "wars") suggests that they can be hunted with a variety of calibers, and many have been used throughout history. You cannot go wrong with .308 or .30-06, especially at longer ranges, but .223 should be fine for most. As usual, shot placement is more important than particular caliber.

How difficult they are to hunt and track depends on the variety. The urban ones are ridiculously easy to find, and will likely just stand and stare at you. Suburban ones are similar, but might try to hide in Home Depots or movie multiplexes. The rural variety of the species are likely to be difficult to track, and may be quite dangerous.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:42:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sandguard:
I survived the eruption in 1980 by running down to the Columbia River to avoid the lava, smoke and ash. All I have to say is "Bring it bitch!!!"

Cool! Hell yeah, BRING IT!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:46:37 AM EST
I just moved to Vancouver, WA (about an hour from MT St helens) from Western PA - what the hell was I thinking!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:53:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By schiffj1:
I just moved to Vancouver, WA (about an hour from MT St helens) from Western PA - what the hell was I thinking!

That you'd finally have a use for your gear?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:04:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By GTTacoma:
Micro-quakes are also on the increase at Yellowstone this week. Not as many as at Mt St Helens, but about a 150% increase.

Source?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:11:40 PM EST
Just duck and cover!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:26:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:54:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By MT_Pockets:
Hey anyone ever visited Crater Lake in Oregon.........

MT

Crater Lake is in the former Mt. Mazama's caldera. The lake fills the caldera with an island poking up. To get an idea of just how powerful the explosion was that took the top off of Mt. Mazama, you can look to the Columbia Gorge around Arlington, OR, and see a think ash band where I-84 cuts through the basalt. This ash layer, now covered with additional layers of basalt, is anywhere from almost nonexistant to tens of feet think, depending on location, and is easily seen when driving down I-84 into Arlington. This ash is believed to be from Mt. Mazama's explosion.

The ash band, where near the highway, has been coated with what appears to be gunite. I presume ODOT did this to prevent erosion onto the highway. However, if you look aways off the highway into the basalt ravines above the highway you can see the actual color of the ash...which is sort of a beige or tan.

I'm guessing that Arlington is about 300-350 miles north of Crater Lake. (Crater Lake is not far from the Kali state line and Arlington is actually about 1 mile from Washington State. IIRC, this event is believed to have taken place only 5K-6K years ago.

If true, this makes St. Helens look like mighty small potatoes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:56:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sharkman_75:
It won't be nearly as bad as the 1980 one (hell, there's not enough volcano to do that)! I remember 1980, I was 4 years old at the time and had to wear a mask because of all the ash in the air, and I live 3 hours away from it at the time.

I lived in Sacramento , Cal and I skys where full of dust!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:32:51 PM EST
The morning it blew, I was supposedly on the last plane outta Spokane before they closed the airport down due to ashfall. By the time we took off, a light ash was coming down. Spokane actually didn't get much ash; however, Ritzville, WA, only about 60-70 miles SW of Spokane, got a ton...like between 4-6" IIRC.

My flight was from Spokane to Boise; however, after we took off we headed directly east until we made Missoula, MT, and then took a SW route to Boise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:49:19 PM EST
Looters?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:03:15 PM EST
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top