Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 2:50:24 AM EDT
I may be crazy, but with increased gas prices, I am thinking about buying a used bike to start off with until I get used to them.  I really don't want a cruiser, I was thinking more in the line of rice rocket.

I think overall, if I can get a good deal on a used bike, once registration and insurance are done, in the long run I will still save money.

What do I look for in a used bike to make sure that I am not getting ripped off?  Since I am new at this, what should I be prepared for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The highest wear items on motor cycles are:
Tires
Brakes especially front pads and rotors
drive chain and sprockets
rear suspension bushings/bearings/linkages
steering head bearings
fork oil seals
make sure the engine runs nice and clean with no hesitation or flat spots
steer clear of aftermarket pipes and the like
check for cracked or peeling paint around the steering headstock area either of these conditions could indicate a bent frame
If these things are good you won't go too far wrong.
My best advice is take someone with you who knows their way around a bike
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
do your self a favor and avoid croch rockets. they are uncomfortable and i know a million guys thaht had one and sold it within 2 years. honda had dome good inbetween cruiser and rocket bikes. i think nighthawk is one like that. also, look at BMW touring bikes. these are far diffrent from you avrage cruiser or rockrt, they also get great milage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't buy a bike for economic purposes.  Buy one only if you want to ride for the enjoyment of it.

My thoughts:

-Go Japanese (not trying to pick a fight)
-Go standard
  The riding position of a sportbike is horrible for anything but sport.  Your wrists will cry mercy on one.  Suzuki GSXR's are the worst for riding position.
-Go Honda
  They are clearly the best, but what what really makes them great is that they have the longest mileage intervals between valve lash adjustments.

I currently have a '89 Hawk GT, and I had a '94 Nighthawk.  The Nighthawk was clearly the more comfortable bike plus it's valves were self adjusting (Hydro).  I would recommend the Nighthawk 750.

As far as I know, no bad Jap bikes were made in the '90's.  I wouldn't go back much further than '88 unless you are pretty mechanically astute.

ABOVE ALL, check your insurance rates before purchasing anything!
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
There is only one motorcycle Harley Davidson I have had four of them the only motorcycle that holds its value. My 2000 FLSTC Heritage Softail is a bad M.F. its got the 95In Kit and cams and carb. I can smoke rice rockets with my wife on back. 95 Lbs of torque at the rear wheel two more than hondas big six. You get what you pay for and the reason I could trade so much is the resale but prices on HD are down because of the economy a good time to buy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#5]
anybody have any Pro's or Con's about the 2001 yahama V-max.  thats what i am looking.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup...just about to post.  The v-max although relatively antiquated..is a blistering quick ride.  Clearly more comfortable than the rice rockets...though not as quick as the Suzuki 1300..it's a darn sight faster than the HD bikes.  Besides you won't to stop every fifty miles and tighten the bolts like you have to on the older HD.  V-Max is clearly my favorite...best of all worlds...for a bike. but don't expect 50 miles per gallon... [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Vmax use to be my favorite until I got a Harley the first ones had 145 HP insurance my be high though and they can do third maybe fourth gear wheelies.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Sparkkky,

I don't know where you get your info, but my Honda F6 (aka Valkyrie 2001 standard) does not have lower torque or hp that what you have rated your HD.  In fact, the stock Valk standard has 98 ft.lbs. of torque and 95 hp.  Just so's we get it right, my man !  :)

Lawdog
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I ride a 2000 suzuki marauder cruiser, and have over 13000 miles on it, all trouble free.  Love it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Kawasaki KLR650 dual-sport.  For the same reasons you like AR's.  Anywhere, anytime, any weather.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Harley-Davidson Sportster 883.  Low priced, great power, lightweight, good resale value, great sound, great fuel economy and easy to work on.  Very reliable and just a lot of fun.  Can find a used one at a decent price too, not as cheap as jap shit, but you will be happier in the long run.

Plus, it will show you are a REAL man.

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The V-MAX is a very sick machine!! I would only recommend it to someone with a lot of experience.
View Quote

That goes without saying..and it is not something I would ride in the rain w/o l-o-ts of care...and insurance  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a Hyabusha(sp?)...Nice starter bike [}:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#16]
come on spark.my 1984 v65n sabre honda v4 water cooled,shaft drive 1100 cc(65 cubic inches will blow the harley logo off your hog and every other hog that has had the stupidity to race.i have 121 HP.heck my old smokin ,oil leaking honda cb 750 would give you a go.only thing harley tourqe is good for is burning rubber,thats it and of course posing(POSER)
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]
come on spark.my 1984 v65n sabre honda v4 water cooled,shaft drive 1100 cc(65 cubic inches will blow the harley logo off your hog and every other hog that has had the stupidity to race.i have 121 HP.heck my old smokin ,oil leaking honda cb 750 would give you a go.only thing harley tourqe is good for is burning rubber,thats it and of course posing(POSER)V-MAX IS THE ONLY BIKE THATS OUT ACCELERATED ME.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Harley's are great, but they don't sound like what you are looking for.

If you want something to use as a commuter, I'd say look for a late model low milage standard like the Nighthawk, or better a sport tourer with some hard bags.  

If you want some practicality, hard bags are the best.  They offer some security and are usually easier for you to get into than a leather or Cordura bag.  They also protect your stuff from the elements better.

Honda made a sport tour bike called the Pacific Coast back around 1996 or so.  It' as ugly a motorcycle as ever built, being nearly entirely encased in Tupperware.  Since the bike was a sales flop, I'd expect you could definitely find a deal on one.  While it 'aint a bike to make your buds jelous, it would be near perfect for a daily commuter and you could take it on road trips.

If you got the bucks, a Harley Dresser would also, do nicely, though it is a considerable investment.  You'll generally loose less to depreciation if you go with a Harley, unless you buy an older big 3 bike that has already depreciated about as much as it's going to.

If all you care about is looking cool, sounding cool and being able to run with the Big Dogs, you can get yourself a Wideglide and deck it out like mine, with a cam, SE breather, thunder header, chrome evvywhur, drag bars, solo seat and custom paint.  Only problem is, when you get on it,you won't feel like going to work.[beer]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
 You have gotten a lot of good advice so far. I have been riding for about 25 years off and on,  but have been riding 10-15K per year for the past 6 years.  I have had all sorts of bikes from HD's to rice burners and even toyed with a few Ducattis too. They all have pros and cons. The HD's are initially expensive, but retain value like nothing else out there. The jap bikes are reliable, but I would absolutely stay away from a crotch rocket until you have some experience and the Motor Cycle Safety Course under your belt. I would also 100% recommend a helmet, leathers, gloves and leather boots at all times. I have seen way too much road rash,internal injuries and smashed skulls from bike wrecks. You HAVE to have the safety gear,and good gear isn't cheap.
I currently have a pair of BMW's and they are not only amazingly reliable but the maintenance is so minimal ; oil changes , gas and air filters. Great bikes.
Don't get something that you will kill yourself with when you crank the throttle. Get something 300-500 cc for a starter bike then go from their. Bikes are not like operating a car, they are a bit different. So get some training too.

FN
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Harleys Rule. Nothing like 'em. The Shovel I have is classic & riliable. Its a '77 & still worth $10,000. My '97 Roadking is still worth $17,000 plus. My '81 GS1000 is worth $800......... You do the math. Listen to the rice guys tell ya how fast their bikes are. Thats about it. Their bikes dropped in value so fast it aint funny. There just isn't anything like a Harley. BMW's, Ducatti's & Triumphs are ok to a degree. Just remember "Riding a jap bike & fu*kin' a fat girl are a lot alike. They both feel good, but you don't want your friends to see you doing it".
Scott
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
QUOTE: "Just remember "Riding a jap bike & fu*kin' a fat girl are a lot alike. They both feel good, but you don't want your friends to see you doing it".
Scott

Point of contention Gun-Fan...

Actually the 6 cylinder Honda Valkyrie is often referred to affectionately as the "fat lady" (otherwise also referred to as Dragon, Harley Cruncher, H-Davidson Destroyer... the list goes on and on).  My point is, riding my Valk is quite stimulating, akin to good sex in my declining years, and I'm not ashamed to let anyone watch me do it (ride my cruiser that is).
So, what is your point???
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Point of contention Gun-Fan...

My point is, riding my Valk is quite stimulating, akin to good sex in my declining years, and I'm not ashamed to let anyone watch me do it (ride my cruiser that is).
So, what is your point???
View Quote

I guess its that you have very little humility & very little humor. But then again, people in there declining years wear some funny clothes too. (Bermuda shorts, flower shirt, black socks & hard sole shoes.) :) Have a good weekend Lawdog. Get some miles under your belt, be safe & enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Lawdog, Sparky's Stage II 95" kit on an EFI develops 103 ft/lbs. torque, but unlike imports, is working half as hard at cruising speed to develop the same power.  A hog doesn't need to go to 10000 rpm, or downshift to pass. Import = high rpm, high hp, low torque.  HD = low rpm, low hp, high torque

Luuku, Suzuki also has a nice upright rider called the "Bandit".  In 600 cc you can aquire one for around $ 2000 with low mileage.  Yes, for value, there is no substitute for American Iron, although the expensive BigTwin is actually easier to ride than a Sportster.  But for the money you get 50 mpg, 100% resale value, and conversation starter.  I made more friends in one year on a Harley than in 20 on imports.

95" FLHR-I Road King
              Hooker Tuned-Flow
              Screamin' Eagle Stage II
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Scott (Gun-Fan),

That's what I thought [:D].  Oh, by-the-way, did you know that the Honda Valkyrie is manufactured exclusively in USA (Ohio)??  That's pretty close to Milwaukee isn't it??

You ride safely and watch our when those "rice burners" overtake you [:X]

Lawdog (What? Me not have a sense of humor or humility?  Must have been too many years in LEO)
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#25]
im thinking of getting one too, drive 120mi a day for school. anybody have any opinions about the suzuki SV650s????
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
The ultimate all weather commuter is the Honda Pacific Coast.  It's not too pretty, and it's not too powerful, but it has the best weather protection on two wheels, it is reliable, fuel efficient, and the trunk kicks ass.  I haven't met a PC owner yet that didn't absolutely love the thing.  If you're fixing to be a fair weather rider then most any standard motorcycle would be a good choice.  If you're over 35, you probably will find most of the crotch rockets very uncomfortable.  Younger folks seem to be able to tolerate them.  If you think you'll be an all weather rider, or if you are planning to cover a lot of high speed freeway, look for a bike with a fairing.  For just wind protection, an upper fairing only is OK.  But for winter riding look for a fairing with leg protection.  Even without rain, I find that having cold air blowing on my knees on a long ride becomes very painful.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Go with a bike you can handle by experience.If new to motos stick with the smaller ones 600-750 cc cruisers.I just biught a new bike recently after mine was stolen new one is a suzuki gsxr 750.Love it so far like the power wheelies on the freeway
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Luuku,
Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?
The very first thing you need (notice I said need, not should) is to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riders course.
They will supply you with a bike (granted it is a little Honda 250 Rebel), you supply the safety equipment.

If you are a first time rider then screw what these guys are saying about big, bad, fast, hp and the rest of that.

You need to start small.
Depending on your budget I would suggest to you a Kawasaki EX500. These things have been around since 1985, they make enough power stock to get you around town and on the freeway with no problems.

I suggest that you buy a used one, something that is 3-5 years old, and buy it from a dealership. Private party sales are ok, but if you buy it from a dealer you can start makeing points if and when you want to move up to a bigger bike.

Another suggestion is that you buy one of the 300-500 range of dual purpose bikes. These look like dirt bikes, they are a great way to learn how to wheelie, how to slide the rear wheel, all of the fun tricks that impress chicks.

Another choice is (if you can find one) is the Honda CB1. This was a 4 cylinder 400, a great starter bike.
Another bike would be the Suzuki GS500.

If you have experince riding bikes then I would suggest either a 3-5 year old Honda F2 or a Kawasaki 600R.

Get the training and don't skimp on safety gear!

Link Posted: 5/11/2001 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#29]
ok guys yes harleys retain there value but this guy is lookin to get into a ride second hand(used)so the jap bikes value drops like a rock? SO WHAT !THATS GOOD FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GREAT VALUE IN THE USED BIKE MARKET.ill invest my money in stocks,bonds,stock market etc.....not in a motor cycle or guns for that matter.these are machines to be used and enjoyed,not worshiped and stashed away like money or jewels.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
The V-Max is over a 10 years old. Go with something more modern, newer technology like the FZ-1 or if you like cruisers look at Honda's new VTX 1800. Now that is a beautiful design.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Lawdog I got my Info. from a torque shoot out on a dyno at a OKC club mine and another FLSTC like mine beat both honda sixes. That torque was measured at the rear wheel on a dyno and HD took home the money. And by the way since I did my motor work no one NO ONE has out run me even with my wife on board I ride on poker runs every week I am not saying I cant be out run just not yet there are just now HD with the Mods. showing up in numbers mine has been hopped a year and a half and sure a V-max or simular bike could beat me except in resell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top