Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2007 10:21:49 AM EDT

Motorcycle cops are fellow riders, that ride a heck of a lot more than most riders.

So when I see a motorcycle cop riding by I give them "the wave".  I have only had it returned once, and he looked annoyed by it.  I can certainly understand it being annoying if you are riding 8 hours a day every day.

So do you do "the wave" at pigs on hogs motorcycle cops?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. They never wave back though...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. Nothing personal to you leather gods, but your job is to write traffic citations. That's cool and everything, but you ain't getting a wave.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
There is one officer who I always see at the entrance to a quarry (off duty, hired for traffic control) who always waves at me when I am on 2 wheels...he even waves at me when I am on the bicycle!

He rides a nice BMW DS.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I never did.

Most were to awsome or annoyed to wave back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Never have
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
dont see many motorcycle cops around here, but if i did see one, yes i would wave.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I did once and got pulled over. He looked over everything to make sure I wasn't breaking a law (was not speeding), and then found my inspection was out for a month, oops. Got a ticket. Last time I do that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I wave at the Ft Worth bike cops, and some wave back.

riders are riders, I wave to pretty much everyone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have waved and been waved back to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
i wouldnt wave, almost always MC cops are the biggest of the big douchebags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to change the subject but why dont more cops wave? I wave at them when I see them, even when they are on four wheels, and I only get waves back form the ones I know. I know people dont wave at them constantly because most people find cops "scary" so why dont they return the gesture?

You would think that they would wave back since they have a bad perception amungst alot of people. And the police are always trying to become more community oriented.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The biker wave.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
yep... I do "the wave" for every motorcycle I see, whether cop or not...
So does most bikers in Finland.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't wave.

I think that cops probably take that as a "ooh, this guy thinks we're buds because we're both on bikes".

And I don't disagree with that - they are cops, we are citizens.  You can't be best buddies and still have the respect be present.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, and about 50/50 on the return.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I do the wave if I don't realize it is a police bike at first.

I have gotten an acknowledging head nod before but no return wave.

If I recognize it's a police bike I do not wave.  I figure they're not out joyriding so they probably have better things to do that to wave at me.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The biker wave.

It's a whole lot easier and much less painful than waving your hand in the wind at 75 mph.

I ride my motorcycle to work almost every day.  I wave to bike officers often, but I usually get an annoyed stare back.  I ride a sport bike though, so maybe if I was also riding a harley or BMW it would be different.  (FWIW, I'm not one of those shirtless idiots that does wheelies down main street.)
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not to change the subject but why dont more cops wave? I wave at them when I see them, even when they are on four wheels, and I only get waves back form the ones I know. I know people dont wave at them constantly because most people find cops "scary" so why dont they return the gesture?

You would think that they would wave back since they have a bad perception amungst alot of people. And the police are always trying to become more community oriented.

1) I'm checking to see how many fingers you are waving with

2) I'm monitoring the radio, computer, radar, and my surroundings, sometimes my hands are busy, or my eyes are elsewhere.

3) People often wave when they are so close I would have to be a world class waver to return the gesture.

Just a few off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
I don't wave.

I think that cops probably take that as a "ooh, this guy thinks we're buds because we're both on bikes".

And I don't disagree with that - they are cops, we are citizens.  You can't be best buddies and still have the respect be present.

Respect is EARNED, not given. Everyone starts out neutral, then their actions will earn them some level of respect, or a label of butt head, or worse.

That said, if it is on two wheels with a motor, I wave. It is no matter if they wave back, the gift is in giving, not receiving.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes, and about 50/50 on the return.

yep, thats pretty much been my experience as well
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I waved at one here Tue. on the way to work, he waved back and had a big grin on his face too.So...........i figure he had pie before going to work.

ETA: 3K...........took over 3 yrs.Well, i do type with my social finger.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Why would anybody want to. They are not realy part of the biker brotherhood. They are part of the cop brotherhood who happen to be on a motorcycle. 99% of motorcycle policemen just see you as another possible ticket to issue. Don't believe me. Pull your motorcycle in where you see a couple of motorcycle cops cooped up shooting the breeze and try and join in with some motorcycle conversation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
dont see many motorcycle cops around here, but if i did see one, yes i would wave.

Same here
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Motorcycle cops are fellow riders, that ride a heck of a lot more than most riders.

So when I see a motorcycle cop riding by I give them "the wave".  I have only had it returned once, and he looked annoyed by it.  I can certainly understand it being annoying if you are riding 8 hours a day every day.

Yes.

Page 2 ownage.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why would anybody want to. They are not realy part of the biker brotherhood. They are part of the cop brotherhood who happen to be on a motorcycle. 99% of motorcycle policemen just see you as another possible ticket to issue. Don't believe me. Pull your motorcycle in where you see a couple of motorcycle cops cooped up shooting the breeze and try and join in with some motorcycle conversation.

And them vs us comes out yet again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#28]
To be honest, there are times when I get tired of waving at any motorcyclist.  I don't mind it when I encounter a few here and there. But in some of the more well known local areas, you can pass in excess of 100 motorcycles in a couple of hours of riding.

Tail of the Dragon

As for cops, the only time I've seen them wave is to wave me over.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nope. Nothing personal to you leather gods, but your job is to write traffic citations. That's cool and everything, but you ain't getting a wave.

probably get a ticket in NJ if you wave, something about reckless driving or something.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) I'm checking to see how many fingers you are waving with

2) I'm monitoring the radio, computer, radar, and my surroundings, sometimes my hands are busy, or my eyes are elsewhere.

3) People often wave when they are so close I would have to be a world class waver to return the gesture.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Understood.

It just hurts my feelings.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Only with my Middle Finger...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I've never seen a motorcycle cop.  If I did, I would wave.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Usually, but seldom get a returned wave. A nod of the head at best.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Oh, I don't wave.  I wink.  Hehe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to wave at moto cops, but NEVER got a return wave.  Then again, I didn't seem to get love from anyone on my '77 KZ650.  The Harley guys didn't respect me, and the young punks on today's "sportbikes" (mine was the first!) thought I was just an old guy on an old bike.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't wave at anybody...  Especially other Harley riders.  I don't fucking know you, and just because you own a Harley too doesn't make us friends.  

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't wave at anybody...  Especially other Harley riders.  I don't fucking know you, and just because you own a Harley too doesn't make us friends.  

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84

Settle down, Francis.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84

I wave at everyone except the little 50cc scooter people. And I even wave at them if they wave at me first.

But since all you people seem to have divided the entire motorcycle world in to "Harley", "Sport", or "BMW", I guess me and my Honda cruiser will just say all of roo cran go fruck rorselves.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't on purpose, but I have usually already waved by the time I realize they are a cop. I have only been waved back to once out of probably a hundred times.

I know and ride with a few motorcops when they are off duty and they always seem to wave when off duty. I'll have to ask them about it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The biker wave.

+1
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84

I wave at everyone except the little 50cc scooter people. And I even wave at them if they wave at me first.

But since all you people seem to have divided the entire motorcycle world in to "Harley", "Sport", or "BMW", I guess me and my Honda cruiser will just say all of roo cran go fruck rorselves.

I find there are 3 types

Harley
Goldwing
Everyone else

I almost never get a wave from a Harley rider. I'm riding a Suzuki TL1000S, 2 cylinder half faired motorcycle. 2 cylnders, just like them...........................
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't on purpose, but I have usually already waved by the time I realize they are a cop. I have only been waved back to once out of probably a hundred times.

Same here on both experiences.. waving for me is almost a habitual reflex when I see another bike.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84

I find there are 3 types

Harley
Goldwing
Everyone else

I almost never get a wave from a Harley rider. I'm riding a Suzuki TL1000S, 2 cylinder half faired motorcycle. 2 cylnders, just like them...........................

It must be a part of teh country thing.  I am on a little Honda Rebel 250 and I still get the wave from most everyone, including the Harley folks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Never waved, but I did try running one down, though.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I do...and they usually appear annoyed by it as well.  The only time I got a big grin was from a state trooper, which is weird because in this state they are usually pricks of epic proportions.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Really?

No, not really.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't wave at me,
~Dg84

I find there are 3 types

Harley
Goldwing
Everyone else

I only wave to other euro-trash bike riders.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't have a bike any more but we don't have any motorcycle cops around here in SE PA until you get into Philadelphia proper.  I guess I would wave.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top