User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 9:13:56 PM EDT
<suggested course of action deleted by Arfcom dept of precrime>  

Mother's fury as teenagers who set boy on fire escape prosecution
Wed 7 Sep 2005
JOANNE CLEMENTS AND HUGO DUNCAN
news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1902122005
A MOTHER said last night she was "absolutely disgusted" at a decision not to prosecute a group of teenagers who bound and gagged her son and set him on fire.

Kyle Parker, 13, was set upon by a gang of 15-year-old bullies who tied him to a tree, bound his legs together with a school tie, placed a monkey mask over his face and gagged him.

They set fire to him and filmed the 20-minute "happy-slapping" attack on their mobile phones.

Thirteen schoolboys, all aged 15, were arrested and three made statements in which they said they took part in the assault in woodland near Smithills High School in Bolton, Greater Manchester, in July.

But yesterday the Crown Prosecution Service said it had decided not to take further action because the youths were of "previous good character".

Kyle's mother, Maxine Lever, 35, from Tonge Moor, near Bolton, condemned the CPS.

She said: "I am absolutely disgusted and really angry and annoyed about it because they should be punished for what they have done. Kyle could have been burned alive."

Kyle, who was a pupil at Smithills at the time of the incident, scrambled free and escaped injury, but he has not been back to the school since.

A CPS spokeswoman said: "We decided not to prosecute because the victim was unable to identify any of the suspects when he was shown photographs.

"Seven of the suspects made no admission and accordingly there was no evidence against any of those individuals.

"Three of the boys did admit the attack on Kyle, but because of their previous good character we thought it was unfair to single them out and pursue the prosecution.

"The other three made certain admissions but, as with the others, we decided prosecution was not justified."

Kyle was confronted by the gang when he ventured into the woods with three classmates during his lunchbreak on 8 July.

He said: "I could see through the eyeholes in the mask that they were videoing me with their mobile phones. I felt the heat from the flames on my shoulder, but I managed to get out of the tape and put the flames out before it hurt me.

"I ran after one of them and caught up with him in the field next to the school and had a fight with him. That was when the teachers saw what was going on and I told them."

One pupil was expelled from Smithills High School following the attack. Six others were suspended.

The attack on Kyle followed a spate of happy-slapping cases in which assaults are filmed on mobile phones and sent from handset to handset.

In May this year schoolgirl Becky Smith, 16, spent two days in hospital after she was battered, allegedly by a fellow pupil at Plant Hill High School in Blackley, Manchester.

Other pupils filmed the incident on their mobile phones and the video clip was passed around the school.

In the same month, two 18-year-olds were each jailed for six and a half years after 41-year-old Matthew Kitchen was set alight while he slept at a bus stop in Radcliffe, Bury.

Benjamin Mortenson and David Smolinski used a mobile phone to record the attack, which left the married father in hospital for two months.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
thats britian for ya
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
[Edited because this pisses me off enough to commit a COC violation]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF?  "Happy-slapping"?

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Not even gonna visit if the tickets are free. I'd get in big trouble over there if somebody tried to pull that shit on me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow... just wow. I think I'd gut somebody if they set my son on fire, regardless of the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow... just wow. I think I'd gut somebody if they set my son on fire, regardless of the outcome.

Man, you are waaaaaay to charitable

eta: no offense intended......
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
What the fuck? Single them out?!

If you want the others, you'd tell the kids they're gonna do 15-25 for assault if they don't rat on the other ones.

The mother (And her husband) should kill them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#9]
+1

In some horrifically painful way
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me guess...

They gave the 15 year-old thugs  ASBOs.  Anti-Social Behavior Orders.

That is, a written warning that if they didn't behave, they'd get another sternly worded  warning.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
previous good character? Seems their actions show otherwise, besides since when is the 1st 1 free for a serious crime anymore? What's wrong with the justice system.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
previous good character? Seems their actions show otherwise, besides since when is the 1st 1 free for a serious crime anymore? What's wrong with the justice system.

I was dismissed from jury duty once for laughing at a defense attorney
when he asked if someone's first felony should be a probated offense
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
What the hell is happy about being set on fire?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Those silly, silly Brits.  Happy slapping and setting people on fire for no reason at all.....what a fun country.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Another reason not to live in Europe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Umm...

...[Momma] said: "I am absolutely disgusted and really angry and annoyed about it because they should be punished for what they have done...

...say what?  "Absolutely disgusted"? "Really angry"? "Annoyed "?  Is that the extent of her rage?  Damn.  Just damn.  How much fight can a soceity have in it when won't even place value in its own people?

Sad to see. We're not far behind them, either.  Talking heads in the US are already qualifying the assorted criminal activity that took place in [what used to be] New Orleans.  Gets easier to be criminal while it gets harder to be upstanding.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Imagine an underground society that delivers justice when the courts fail the subjects people?

Lets call it "The A Team!"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#19]
they already have one of those, they call it the ira.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Three of the boys did admit the attack on Kyle, but because of their previous good character we thought it was unfair to single them out and pursue the prosecution.

So basically if you make it to 15 years of age without being arrested - you get ONE "freebie" to commit aggravated assault by tying one younger kid to a tree and setting him on fire without fear of prosecution.

But only once.

BTW... it ain't just Britain that this would happen in - there's a LOT of places here where shit like that would be completely unsurprising given the vast amount of PC coddling of criminals that goes on here in this country.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup, similar "incidents" have been going on here for a long time.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Umm...

...[Momma] said: "I am absolutely disgusted and really angry and annoyed about it because they should be punished for what they have done...

...say what?  "Absolutely disgusted"? "Really angry"? "Annoyed "?  Is that the extent of her rage?  Damn.  Just damn.  How much fight can a soceity have in it when won't even place value in its own people?

Sad to see. We're not far behind them, either.  Talking heads in the US are already qualifying the assorted criminal activity that took place in [what used to be] New Orleans.  Gets easier to be criminal while it gets harder to be upstanding.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that picked up on that.  

They've been so neutered they can't even express outrage, let alone act on it.

Control, limit, pacify.  It seems to be working out perfectly, doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Setting people on fire in UK - OK
Carrying something that LOOKS like a real gun (Airsoft) - Not OK

Please explain this to me, if possible.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Setting people on fire in UK - OK
Carrying something that LOOKS like a real gun (Airsoft) - Not OK

Please explain this to me, if possible.

No toy guns were reported to have been used in this "playful" re-enactment of a witch burning
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Ah the joys of societies that place criminals above law abiding citizens. WTF is our world coming to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:26:41 AM EDT
[#26]
You don't need weapons for self defence!

The government will protect you!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:31:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
thats britian for ya

That's why Britain is a 2nd class nation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Bring this "happyslapping" shit to Florida. It won't happen more than a few times before somebody gets maglite shampoo or hot lead IV's.

Texas would probably be worse.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:42:41 AM EDT
[#29]
No need to get the knickers in a bind me droogies,just a bit of the old ultra violence.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#30]
That's completely out of whack.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:52:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Kyle is now going to grow up to be a very angry man
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I give this my WTF stamp of the day!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:57:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Imagine an underground society that delivers justice when the courts fail the subjects people?

" The yalready have one of those......They call it the IRA". By 22BAD.

You guys are getting close, An underground force expelling justice, that is made up of Irishmen.  They should be called "Saints" of some kind.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:05:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

" The yalready have one of those......They call it the IRA". By 22BAD.

You guys are getting close, An underground force expelling justice, that is made up of Irishmen.  They should be called "Saints" of some kind.  

"Boondock Saints" perhaps?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top