BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/1/2006 3:39:36 AM EDT
Disabled Teen Kicked Out Of Theater For Laughing Too Loudly

POSTED: 11:54 am EST February 28, 2006
UPDATED: 12:30 am EST March 1, 2006

OLDSMAR, Fla. -- The mother of a disabled teen complained to the American Civil Liberties Union after she and her son were kicked out of a movie theater because he was laughing too loudly.

Susan Brown said she and her 19-year-old son, Matt, were asked to leave an AMC Woodlands 20 theater during a showing of "The Pink Panther" Sunday. An AMC spokeswoman said several patrons complained about the teen's outbursts.

Susan Brown said she was outraged. Her son has Angelman syndrome, a neurological disorder that impairs a person's ability to speak and maintain balance. The disorder also affects mental development and can prompt excessive laughter and seizures.

"Here's a child that was laughing at a comedy," she said. "His way of expressing delight and joy at this movie was laughing, but because his communication technique got in the way of someone else's space, he had to leave."

Brown, 46, said her son laughed at all the funny parts during "The Pink Panther," a slapstick comedy starring Steve Martin as Inspector Clouseau. He also laughed at some parts that others didn't find so funny, she said.

About an hour into the film, a manager approached and asked her to step outside. After refusing because she couldn't leave her son unattended, the manager asked them to leave. She refused their offer of a refund.

"Several members of the theater audience complained that the guest's outbursts were disruptive," AMC spokeswoman Melanie Bell said in a statement.

Brown said Matt has always enjoyed the movies. He's never been asked to leave before.

"We won't change our lives," she said. "We'll keep going to the movies, but we won't go there, obviously."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
A kid was laughing loudly at the new Pink Panther movie.....

Ya. He MUST have something wrong with him.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I absolutely HATE when slow people laugh at movies. I realize they have every right to go as I do but their laughter is 100db higher and never on cue.

AWwww A Kitty THEEHEHEEEHEHEHE

stuff like that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

HAHHAHAHAHAH

LB
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+.9bar

This case will go no where.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+.9bar

This case will go no where.

sure it will...and it will cost taxpayers dearly to get done.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
<looking forward, in three months>

During trial Susan Brown's son 19-year-old Matt, disrupted the trial with outragous uncontrolled laughter to the point that the judge was left no alternative but to dismiss on all counts.

The ACLU plans an appeal, stating "If you can't laugh at the U.S. judicial system what can you laugh at"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
19 years old; not 7.

People probably figured he was an just being asshole. Everyone wants to pay money to be exposed to an asshole.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No crap. That movie was limp.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#10]
So mommy thinks the other paying moviegoers should know or give a flying fuck about "poor little" Matt's mental issues?  They should have to sit while some 19 year old kid goes into jet-engine-decible laughter at a movie that was not that funny anyway?  

I know 'tard laughter and while it's great to see them have fun, in the wrong setting it is beyond annoying.  A quiet movie theater is the wrong setting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Worked in a supermarket years ago...

One day I hear "ohhh OHHHH OHHHHHHHH ohhh ohhh oHHHHHH" over and over again...  it was LOUD...at this point I crack a shit assed grin and think WTF Went over to where the noise was coming from to have a look...Turned out it was some crazy dude in a wheel chair..screeming in the middle of the isle...

Yup...definately could see how this could disrupt a movie...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I get pissed when people do anything but watch a movie in a theater... and it's stupid. I know there is always going to be someone in a theater that does somethign to piss me off. But yet I still go...

Would I have complained? No, because it would mean getting up, walking out of the tehater and possibly missing something in the movie.

You're going to a public place... WTF do you expect? As far as I'm concerned everyone around me everywhere I go is frickin retarded because none of them behave the way I think they should...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"Here's a child that was laughing at a comedy," she said. "His way of expressing delight and joy at this movie was laughing, but because his communication technique got in the way of someone else's space, he had to leave."

Well, yeah.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Didn't something like this happen this past summer?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I get pissed when people do anything but watch a movie in a theater... and it's stupid. I know there is always going to be someone in a theater that does somethign to piss me off. But yet I still go...

Would I have complained? No, because it would mean getting up, walking out of the tehater and possibly missing something in the movie.

You're going to a public place... WTF do you expect? As far as I'm concerned everyone around me everywhere I go is frickin retarded because none of them behave the way I think they should...

So if I sat behind you and belly-laughed at the top of my lungs at things that were chuckle-worthy to 99% of the population, and I did this for extended periods of time.... you'd just be happy to sit there and  listen to it?  That's what we are talking about with these folks.  They don't have much sense of how to moderate thier emotion so it gets uncomfortably loud and over-the-top.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
This is America, you can sue for snow flakes for being different - now winning predicating on Judge or Jury that's ya lynch pin.

As for going to the movies, I hit them up on very OFF hours (limited viewers) so I can enjoy what I am paying for.  

Oh and even then you can get the asshole who sits directly in front of you when there are 100MM seats available!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So if I sat behind you and belly-laughed at the top of my lungs at things that were chuckle-worthy to 99% of the population, and I did this for extended periods of time.... you'd just be happy to sit there and  listen to it?  That's what we are talking about with these folks.  They don't have much sense of how to moderate thier emotion so it gets uncomfortably loud and over-the-top.

No, I'd probably turn around and say something to you as opposed to sneaking off and crying to the manager.

Done that plenty of times...

I didn't say I don't get pissed, just that I accept the fact that it's highly likely I will end up getting pissed at a movie theater.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:26:35 AM EDT
[#18]
They offered her a refund...she refused it. They are in the clear.

Theaters around here have age limits to later shows, no infants, etc... can ask you to leave at anytime for any reason. it is PRIVATE property..... out in public would be walking down a street, or in a park maintained by the local government.  You walk in the doors to the theater, and you are "in their house".

Walk in wearing a shirt that says "FUCK YOU" and they'll ask you to leave...no freedom of expression violated.

In this case, she paid to see the movie, other people who paid to see the movie complained, the majority of the money to the theater was with the group of complainers....they offered her a refund and asked her to leave.  No big deal.

She has no grip other than the sand in her clit which must be making her crabby.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Just one more reason why I wait on the DVD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
soooo.
If a tourettes goes to church and screams FUCK! ASS! all day, we can sue?

Let me get this straight: you're NOT supposed to do that?!

Well, that explains all the "funny" looks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I would have hated to been sharing a theatre with those people when I saw Napoleon Dynamite.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1.

I see no reason to watch movies at the theatre any more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'd probably turn around and say something to you as opposed to sneaking off and crying to the manager.

Done that plenty of times...

I didn't say I don't get pissed, just that I accept the fact that it's highly likely I will end up getting pissed at a movie theater.

Well, that's nice and maybe in another day it would work, but lately all you get when ask people to be quiet is an attitude.  I don't go anymore, because I'm not iterested in getting in a fight with assholes who think the theater is their living room and screw anyone who tells them otherwise.

DVDs for me now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I think 99% of all BS lawsuits could be dissmissed if people just put one thought into thier head.
"WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLES RIGHT NOT TO BE BOTHERED AFTER PAYING 10$!"

This is typical Americanskism, "I'm a victim, i like to sue, other people? fuck'em."
I would be suprised if this was her plan all along to shake down someone for a settlement.
Cha-ching!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
As for going to the movies, I hit them up on very OFF hours (limited viewers) so I can enjoy what I am paying for.  

Oh and even then you can get the asshole who sits directly in front of you when there are 100MM seats available!

Same here, matinees minimize some of that crapola.  I've just about gotten to the point of not going to theatres any more because of the above distractions.  Must be getting old!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I think 99% of all BS lawsuits could be dissmissed if people just put one thought into thier head.
"WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER PEOPLES RIGHT NOT TO BE BOTHERED AFTER PAYING 10$!"

This is typical Americanskism, "I'm a victim, i like to sue, other people? fuck'em."
I would be suprised if this was her plan all along to shake down someone for a settlement.
Cha-ching!

+1

This ninteen year old tard sounds like a real joy to be around in public. So................the ballance of society is required to "embrace his diversity?"

Fuck that. More goofy liberal moonbat thinking.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Whatever happened to the soundproof booth at the back of the place where mothers could take their infants? All the old theatres had them. This would be a perfect place for mom and her loud kid. And all other idiots who bring infants to an R rated show.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I absolutely HATE when slow people laugh at movies. I realize they have every right to go as I do but their laughter is 100db higher and never on cue.

AWwww A Kitty THEEHEHEEEHEHEHE

stuff like that.

that is why you can rent movies
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The beyotch probably does this kind of stunt on purpose just so that she can sue people.

The less interaction with the general public I have, the better.  I never cease to be discouraged at what passes for human behavior these days.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Found another version:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/28/Tampabay/When_are_laughs_too_l.shtml

About 20 minutes later, Brown said she went in to get her younger son. Once back in the theater, she paused to give the audience a piece of her mind.

"I guess it's not appropriate to laugh at a children's comedy and if you have a disability you don't need to laugh too loud," she told the crowd. "Have a nice evening."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Everyone wants to pay money to be exposed to an asshole.

I thought they outlawed those kind of places years ago
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#34]
personaly, I am suprised (guess I shouldn't be) at all the negitive, self-centered comments here.  seems to me this would be an insident where compassion & tolerance should predominate. maybe even "getting into it" with the laughter & enjoying the obsurdity of the event...you guys need to lighten-up & give your fellow man a little slak...whatever happened to the strong protecting the weak?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
personaly, I am suprised (guess I shouldn't be) at all the negitive, self-centered comments here.  seems to me this would be an insident where compassion & tolerance should predominate. maybe even "getting into it" with the laughter & enjoying the obsurdity of the event...you guys need to lighten-up & give your fellow man a little slak...whatever happened to the strong protecting the weak?

The boy is not weak. He's loud. Obviously, he's loud enough to be a general annoyance. Not everybody belongs everywhere. People should not go places where they will of necessity annoy others or invade their rights, especially if the annoyance or invasion is unavoidable. People who shit on themselves shouldn't swim in public pools. People who weigh 300 lbs + shouldn't fly coach, even if they don't mind spilling over and under the armrests. People who are very loud and can't keep quiet shouldn't go where other people need to hear. I don't see it as complicated, and I certainly don't think it's mean or "self-centered" of people to expect to be able to hear a movie they've paid to watch.

If you want some self-centeredness to reflect on, try this thought process:

My kid is so loud that other people can't hear anything but him when he lights it off.

He has no control over his outbursts.

What shall Junior and I do this evening?

We will go to a theater where other people have paid money to see and hear a movie. Junior will likely make so much noise that he will annoy everyone but me!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Wow, that's gotta be straight from the DUh.

That's just plain ignorant thinking, that everyone else should pay the price for one persons inability to NOT irritate the living shit out of everyone else.

Not to mention, your spelling absolutely sucks.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That and the popcorn's cheaper.

And I don't need a sitter.
And I can sip martinis while watching.

And an assortment of other 'frowned upon in a movie theatre' kinda things I like to do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
<looking forward, in three months>

During trial Susan Brown's son 19-year-old Matt, disrupted the trial with outragous uncontrolled laughter to the point that the judge was left no alternative but to dismiss on all counts.

The ACLU plans an appeal, stating "If you can't laugh at the U.S. judicial system what can you laugh at"

The other two branches?

People who "laugh too loud" at movies don't bother me. The Eftards with the cell phones drove me away long ago. That and the crap they put out. And the 20 minutes of commercials at the beginning, etc., etc., etc.

DVDs are your friend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That and the popcorn's cheaper.

And I don't need a sitter.
And I can sip martinis while watching.

And an assortment of other 'frowned upon in a movie theatre' kinda things I like to do.

Kinda makes you wonder why everyone doesn't build their own home theater.

Home theater thread in our movie forum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#40]
PUHHLEASE!!! Laughing out loud!? In a public place? My god....what depravity...laughing at a freaking slap stick comedy....is there no shame?

I'm afraid I side with the mother. It's not like the guy was laughing loudly at the 'Last temptation of Christ' or 'Saving Private Ryan'. Did all those people pay their money to go studiously contemplate the Pink Panther?

It has become truly bizzare that everyone seems to be so quick to worry about how something impacts 'ME'....without regards to anyone else. You actually believe loud laughter to be an antithesis to a goddamned 'slapstick comedy'? You truly have entered the theater of the absurd!

Lighten the fuck up, Francis!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Gee, I guess I'm just a little bit confused. I always heard that people with 'disabilities' only wanted to be treated the SAME as everyone else???

If anyone else was being disruptive they would have been ejected too, probably a whole lot sooner. So now 'tard boy wants special treatment because he's 'SPECIAL'??? Damn, just can't win for losing these days.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#42]
yeah.. i agree with yall.. just lock em in a closet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
PUHHLEASE!!! Laughing out loud!? In a public place? My god....what depravity...laughing at a freaking slap stick comedy....is there no shame?

I'm afraid I side with the mother. It's not like the guy was laughing loudly at the 'Last temptation of Christ' or 'Saving Private Ryan'. Did all those people pay their money to go studiously contemplate the Pink Panther?

It has become truly bizzare that everyone seems to be so quick to worry about how something impacts 'ME'....without regards to anyone else. You actually believe loud laughter to be an antithesis to a goddamned 'slapstick comedy'? You truly have entered the theater of the absurd!

I'd love to watch you sit through some movie you just paid to watch and have some tard right behind you going HAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA 20dB louder than everyone else every 5 seconds whether it was during a funny part or not.

Talk is cheap.

That's hillarious that you posted what I put in red because that's exactly what the mother of the tard did, not the people that were sick of hearing it
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

There's an 'inside voice' and an 'outside voice'

If I can't control myself, and piss on whatever is handy at the time- can i come over to your house ????

What about the :fuck....ass" tourettes kid?? wanna sit next to him in church???
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Never tried to sit through a movie with such goings ons have you?
And, FYI, I have been at movies where people bring the mentally handicapped, and sometimes those persons are quite disruptive and loud.
Sometimes they are not.
Here is how I feel.
It doesn't matter if the person is 40 years old in body, if they have the mental age of a 3 or 4 year old.
You would complain if someone brought their baby to a movie and they cried the whole way through, but you wouldn't if the person was 28 and "special?"
Same rules apply.
If the person can't be controlled, they should not be in public where it would disturb others.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd love to watch you sit through some movie you just paid to watch and have some tard right behind you going HAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA 20dB louder than everyone else every 5 seconds whether it was during a funny part or not.

Talk is cheap.

That's hillarious that you posted what I put in red because that's exactly what the mother of the tard did, not the people that were sick of hearing it

I have to tell ya...I'd likely be laughing at their laughing. It's a freaking comedy and laughter is contagious among normal people. If the shoe doesn't fit...

You show your mentality by refering to a handicapped individual as "some tard". Your mother would be proud.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#47]
So yelling in a movie theater is a protected right ,   i saw a movie called schindlers list a long time ago , my cousin and i snuck in to see it in Chicago , as we were not yet 17yo. -- then roll in  about 10-12 "gangstas" , that sit right in front of us , and every time a nazi killed a jew in the movie , the gangstas would fall out of their seats laugh'in their asses off - rollin in the isles on their backs screamin ---  the usher was afraid to say anything to them --- i thought they were just some ghetto trash , but now i find out they were" exercising their rights
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk is cheap.

I have to tell ya...I'd likely be laughing at their laughing. It's a freaking comedy and laughter is contagious among normal people. If the shoe doesn't fit...

You show your mentality by refering to a handicapped individual as "some tard". Your mother would be proud.

You're FOS. You would not be laughing, unless you are a "handicapped individual" as well. Again, talk is cheap.

I noticed you had no response to what I had done in red. Not surprised really, it did make you look rather retarded handicapped.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I would have hated to been sharing a theatre with those people when I saw Napoleon Dynamite.

No joke.  My cousin and I took the little ones to see Toy Story 2 when it was in theatres, and it was us, not the kids, who almost got kicked out for laughing too loud.  I was lucky to be in a mostly empty theatre for Napolean Dynamite.

-Ben
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Talk is cheap.

You're FOS. You would not be laughing, unless you are a "handicapped individual" as well. Again, talk is cheap.

I noticed you had no response to what I had done in red. Not surprised really, it did make you look rather retarded handicapped.

that is soo not true.  TRUE LAUGHTER  is contageous I dont know how many times my side has hurt because I took a ride on the true joy someone else was expressing.  When someone developmentally disabled like that is usually laughing it is more pure laughter and joy than you could ever imagine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top