Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 10:52:31 PM EDT
Just opened my safe and spotted my M1 Garand's barrel with the very early stages of rust.  Then looked at a AK mag and it had some also..

The safe is a Liberty 43gun/900 some odd pounds.  I'm pretty unhappy about this as I have decca packs and one of those heat rods to keep it the same degree of temp.  

Any ideas on what is happening or what I can do?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
is the desicant all full of moisture? What about getting an electric one of at least a re-useable one that you can stick in the oven and reactivate it
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Vermilion, think VCI Emitters...

[url]www.texastechnologies.com/vciemitter.html[/url]

VCI Emitters are designed to protect your guns  against rust and corrosion when enclosed in a non-ventilated enclosure.

The VCI Emitter releases a vapor into the interior of the safe. The vapor then deposits a harmless, protective molecular layer on the metal surface.

Most Emitters last about a year & are effective in  humid environments.

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry bout that.  Happened to me a couple years ago, luckily very early and just cleaned right off.

If you are in a humid area you might need to recharge your dessicant pretty frequently, and dri-rods do have their limit.  I try to take mine out every couple of weeks and wipe them down with a silicone cloth and some clp.  Might want to try that.  At least it is some good quality time with the toys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
yea here in MS its usually 100% humid year round.  I'll look into that emitter

thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about it.

In the meantime put your cilica gel in the oven at 200f for 10 hours in the oven to recharge it and then put it back in your safe along with your re-oiled and rustfree guns untill you get something better to use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Rig-Rag.

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a flourescent light along with a Goldenrod in my safes. It not only helps keep the humidity low, it also brightens up the interior of the safes as well.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I live on the Oregon coast, and don't have this problem. I keep my long guns in a safe, with silicone treated gun socks on them. I don't see why it's happening to you, especially with the heat rod present.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Dump the decca packs, and get the largest Golden Rods that fit in your safe.  I would use 2 rods.  When you open the safe it should feel warm and dry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
what chaingun said.

for a safe of that capacity, two 18" goldenrods mounted low will keep things dry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll run up to my gunshop and get one.. only problem is moving the heavy mofo to get to the little drilled hole and feed the cord thru it [:D]  

In Mississippi the humidity is ALWAYS 100% rather its cold, hot, raining, snowing, sleeting, or hail.  It appears the rust is only on the garand which sits at the very front.. and my AK mags sit near the front also.  Maybe the door isn't sealing good or something.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
What are these "goldenrods" and how do they work? I am about to buy a safe...

dadgum typos...
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
So far, I've had pretty good luck with the VCI bags that Kleenbore makes for pistols and long guns.  Strangely, only the handgun bag has a zip loc top, while the end of the long gun bag is open and I just fold it over several times and use a "chip clip" on the end.

You still have to oil the important areas, especially the barrel, chamber, bolt face, etc. but they seem to do a pretty good job, if you aren't constantly taking the gun in and out of the bag.

I've even put one of those dessicant things like Cabela's and Bass Pro sells that look like an aluminum bar of soap with the crystals that change from blue to pink when they need recharging in the bag.  These things always seem to turn pink fairly quickly in a safe, but when I put them in one of these bags, it stays blue all the time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#14]
"Goldenrods" are electrical heaters which help keep your gunsafe "warm and dry." ~$20-30 for a typical goldenrod. Money well spent. Plug 'em in and relax.

Desicant needs to be continually recharged, ie, heated, to evaporate the absorbed moisture. It can then be reused.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#15]
For you guys with high humidity, might want to consider running a dehumidifyer as well. My below grade family room is humid in the summer. A dehumidifyer keeps it cool and dry, almost like AC. Central NY also has very high humidity most summers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]
My fucking beretta 92f/s's barrel is 100% covered in rust.  Stainless steel barrel on my garand and its receiver have rust on em too.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Need like a 5 gallon bucket of decca and 10 goldenrods.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that. To try to make good of  your problem, rust is a sign of good steel. I second the golden rods.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd employ more dessicant.

And I have to ask, as I didn't see it mentioned - do you store your pieces 'dry', or do you oil them down?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#19]
wipe em all down with silicon rags after I shoot em..
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Buy a can of Rustlick 631. You can order it from MSC [url]www.mscdirect.com[/url] It is a very lite & thin oil type coating spray. A can will last forever & it smeels good too. Spray everything down with it before putting it in your safe. I've sprayed raw machined metal and left it exposed in the humid garage and not a speck of rust forms. I use it on my machine tools & guns etc.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Does it hurt wood or plastics?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
If you look at the bottom of my large safe I have two goldenrods,one in front and one in the back on the bottom and they work really well,
I haven't had any moisture problems at all and both my safes are in the basement,it's not very damp down there and the goldenrods take care of it.

The second safe a smaller and I only used onw golden rof in there, you can see it in the lower right side of the pic.

[img]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL106/755827/1858238/25897254.jpg[/img]

[img]http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL106/755827/1858238/25897272.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a flourescent light along with a Goldenrod in my safes. It not only helps keep the humidity low, it also brightens up the interior of the safes as well.
View Quote

Does the flourescent lightinmg really help ?
If so I wil leave mine on from now on.
I installed flourescent lights in both of my safes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes they do. I run them 24/7. In the summer if the temperature gets too high I will shut down the Golden Rods & leave the flourescent lights on.

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks ColtShorty
you really do learn something new everyday,if you pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#26]
[URL=http://www.sentrysolutions.com/testimonials.html]Sentry Solutions[/url]

I had the same problem during the rainy season here.  This product ended it completely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Just move to the desert. [8D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top