Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2001 9:10:01 PM EDT
Just curious, what is the hardest kicking gun you have ever fired? Have put many rounds through a State Arms .50 BMG, a real pussy cat. .458 Win Mag Ruger No.1 with stout handloads not bad, worst one by far, 45-70 contender with 400 grn. Barnes bullets, proof laods? My hand was numb after two rounds!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
One time I drank lots and lots of water and couldn't stop to go pee pee for an hour, when I finally did...

whoooboy. had the recoil of a fire hose! [BD]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Worst recoil I ever had was shooting an Ak 47 with a PSO 1 scope mounted on the side. Lenght of pull on a standard stock doesn't seem quite right for the scope as it smacked me in the forehead rather hard. Not only person this happed to, my brother got it twice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the scope of a friends 7mm magnum hit me in my eye and give me a nice lacerations.  Sharp thing.  But I felt pretty cool bleeding on the range like a true soldier.  Also had a friend who never shot a semi-auto pistol before and held his right hand high when he fired a GLock, the slide came back and tore a bunch of skin off.  I was picking that gore out for weeks.  

NSF
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
First time I EVER touched off a firearm.  Five years old, great-granddad's 10ga. SxS.  I wasn't told WHY there were two triggers, just thought both needed to be pulled.

Picked myself and the shotgun up about 12 feet behind where I was, and managed to not let the shotgun get a SCRATCH!

Great-granddad's plan fell apart, I just got more interested...

Second Worst - .600 Nitro express found its way into the armoury for my old unit, and I just went ahead and fired both barrels at the same time for kicks.  Kept my feet that time, but I had gone from 50 to 265 pounds by then...

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine had a new .45 auto, which he had only put a 100 or so rounds through when the slide just kept coming, and caught him on the corner of his eye.

And now, of course, I can't remember the manufacturer.

True story.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
300 win mag nice hit between my eyes now i believe in eye protection because they saved me from a good cut.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My hk-91,just purchased the retractable stock, a bad case of scope eye. I even heard cracking/crunching noises.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My Grandpa told me that when he was 12 (1928) he got ahold of a Greener 8 gauge double barrel and went after a pair of squirrels.  While trying to "bark" one of the bushytails which was directly overhead, the big side by side doubled.  Grandpa said, "I knew I was going to hit the ground hard when I saw blue sky under my feet".  The shot broke his right collar bone, the ground knocked him out cold.

I still laugh when I think about that!  I wish you all could have met my Grandpa, cause he was the greatest!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
.600 doubles side x side double trigger exposed double hammers......I only did one round...it was shockingly brutal....however if there is a chargeing Cape buffalo I'd want to be standing behind this gun
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
In a rifle, I gotta say the most painful recoil I recall was shooting a very light, wood-stocked .35 Whelan. Just hurt to shoot, not pleasant at all. Close runner up is my friend's Browning 45/70 lever action.
For a handgun it was shooting Federal 180 grain loads out of my 4-inch Smith 44 Mag. Only took about 12 rounds of those for the trigger to tear a strip of skin off my finger.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
My Marlin model 880 bolt action .22 LR.

Dislocated my shoulder, broke my collar bone in 3 different places, and knocked me back a good 7 feet.

Ouch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I teenager that I know went deer hunting opening day of the season.  Saw him the next day and he had the nastiest looking circular cut just right of the bridge of his nose - a little over an inch or so in diameter....

Seems he got just a little overly excited and leaned in a little too close to the aft end of the scope mounted on his 12 gauge slug gun.

I saw stars just looking at it.... [B)]

[sniper] ... Ouch!
[b]The Sniper

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Both barrels going off at the same time after my local smithy did a trigger job on a O/U Weatherby Olympian
I was at a Pot shoot in Redlands.  Shooting sideways, 2 trap houses away,  from left to right, 36.5 grns Blue dot 1 1/4 #5 Win redwad /Federal papers!
BOOOM!
now everybody is used to the boomers out on the line, But I had bout 40 guys looking down the line at me sayin?"What the hell was that Mike!"

damm near blew me off my feet
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just curious, what is the hardest kicking gun you have ever fired? Have put many rounds through a State Arms .50 BMG, a real pussy cat. .458 Win Mag Ruger No.1 with stout handloads not bad, worst one by far, 45-70 contender with 400 grn. Barnes bullets, proof laods? My hand was numb after two rounds!
View Quote

You must be a badass dude!  I've fired a .458 Mag Ruger No. 1 and after only a half dozen or so rounds I'd had enough! My shoulder was black and blue.
Of course, I wasn't wearing a shooting coat or anything, just a t-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I dearly love the 45-70, and am not recoil shy, but I had a M5 Jungle carbine SMLE that would wack the heck out of me every time I pulled the trigger. I have never figgered out why, but me and this rifle parted ways in less than 200 rounds.

Rew
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also had a friend who never shot a semi-auto pistol before and held his right hand high when he fired a GLock, the slide came back and tore a bunch of skin off.  I was picking that gore out for weeks.  

NSF
View Quote

I did this shooting my grandfathers pistol when I was a kid. Just once.

My new .50 has made me bleed every time I've taken it out so far:
First time, fired it with right hand on the pistol grip and left hand holding the mag, bipod mount mashed a knuckle on my left hand.
Second time, the little lever that releases the scope eyepiece cover tore skin off my nose.
Third time, spring is here, so I'm not wearing a jacket when shooting. Right elbow was leaving skid marks on the shooting bench.

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't shoot much bolt action rifles so I may end up sounding dumb. My friend had a .444 that kicked as hard as anything I've ever shot. About ten rounds was enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The .450 Marlin in an 1895 with an 18inch barrel. You better hang on! A close second is my
Knight D.I.S.C. rifle with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets. It stings a bit when you have to sight it in.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]
375 H&H Magnum, in a Remington 700 FEATHERWEIGHT....

What the heck was I thinkin'?
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
An old boy I used to work with in the oil patch "modified" an H&r 12 gauge to a real handy length, read this to mean SHORT. Single round of that one handed was enough or me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
My cousin's dad has a Ruger .44 Mag with these horrible checkered plastic grips.  They just grind into your palms when you shoot that thing....
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#23]
got my thumb nail behind slide of a glock while
resting it on a post and it tore about a third of my nail off. an old 300 savage with a wood stock some guy wanted me to shoot at a range stung. but i'm sure it was from bad ergonomics
cause it was even uncomfortable to hold. i got a knight disc and tried 150 gr. of pyrodex. accuracy sucked but recoil wasn't bad. i got the scope mounted low and the stock feels almost perfect to me. 100 grains gives much better accuracy out of mine. it doesn't even burn up all the 150 gr charge.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
460 Weatherby.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Oddly enough the worst one I shot was a .308
It was worse than my .300WinMag!

I have two friends with M1A's one was the standard and the other was the loaded M1A.

The loaded one was nice and comfy. But the standard one the butt plate hit me strangly in the shoulder, enough of that I said!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Worst was when I bought a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun. My brother, a couple friends and I took it up in the woods and were shooting it with 2 3/4" birdshot. It recoiled pretty bad but was manageable. Being the genius showoff that I am I took out the 3" magnums and loaded those up. Held it loose like I was before and when I let that first one off it went slamming back into my gut. Pretty much knocked the wind out of me and surprised the hell out of me. I had bought it from a pawn shop so I figured it had just blown up or something. But the pain was not as bad as the "respect" that I gained.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#27]

No contest:
Single shot 10 gauge shotgun.  YIKES!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I have never been recoil shy. But there was a time last summer went a rifle kicked my a$$!!!  Keep in mind that last year I damaged my back and currently had four leaking disks, so my back was already pretty tore up.

Anyway, I was out shooting my AR15 and I saw the most beautiful Weatherby bolt action rifle with a wonderfully engraved stock.  The owner offered to let me shoot it.  Little did I know tht it was a 300gr 416 Rigby!!  The damn think kicked very hard and twisted my back so much I couldn't move for about 10 minutes!!  Needless to say, I now rarely will shoot anything over a 7.62x39 until my back is 100% heeled.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#29]
when I was 11 or 12 or so I shot one of the muzzleloaders at silver dollar city, up until that point biggest thing I'd ever had kick me was a 12 ga, and I just about got knocked on my ass. I remember seeing the ball before the guy loaded it and it was definitely .50 or bigger.
seriously because of that experience I've realized that part of the fun of shooting is not howfar away or rapidly you can make shots but how loud the BOOM is of certain guns or how hard they try to pull off your arm. now I read silver dollar city took my parents money they paid for me to shoot that gun and gave it to gun grabbers. makes me sick. also a couple of years ago when I was on my ak/sks kick I was out shooting one time and a kid who was probably only 10 or so was shooting a thompson contender or encore, whichever one is the pistol I cant remember but I was asking him about it and he said he was using a 7.62x39 barrel, I was like wow thats what I use in my commie rifles, he offered to let me shoot it so I figured what the heck, that kid can hadle it and it's only an ak round. well lets just say I must have not been thinking how much a buttstock and a gas system take out of a cartridges recoil on a kalashnikov because that pistol really took me by surprise and made me look like a weak nancy boy in front of someone half my age and weight who had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Rifle:  A couple of rifles come to mind.  I fired a .460 WM when I was a dumb 120 pound 15 year old.  Once.  I managed to keep my feet, but I sure don't know how.  About 20 years after that, I got the opportunity to shoot a .577 Nitro Express double.  I managed to get both barrels off and hit what I was shooting at, but NEVER again.....  A good friend has a .416 Rigby that has some back-up to it, but it is reasonably shootable.

Handgun:  Without question, the hardest kicking handgun I have ever shot is a heavy-loaded .475 Linebaugh.  My first handgun was a 4" Smith model 29, and I have owned one almost contiuously for almost 20 years.  The .475 kicks about 5 times harder than the heaviest load I would dare put through my Smith.  Coincidently, the .475 is owned by the same guy who owns the Rigby.  Go figure....

[uzi]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#32]
.300WinMag
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:24:07 AM EDT
[#33]
When I was just getting into reloading I had a Ruger No. 3 in 45-70.  Being young I always wanted to see how far I could go before I got signs of high pressure.  Ouch!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I've shot and had several hard kicking riles; 7 Mag, 375 H&H, '06, and others, but by far the worst kick I ever recieved was shooting my uncle's Colt- Suaer in 300 Weatherby! Shot 2 rnds from the off-hand, gave it back with a; "nice rifle, but no thanks"! The second would have to be my Remington Rolling Block chambered for the 444 Marlin. Touch off a full house load in that rifle with it's cresent butt plate and you know the answer to the question; "why don't I shoot this thing more often?".
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Stevens 12 gauge single shot.The one with the platic shot.Cut it back to 18" must have weighed under 5#.When the firing pin broke I donated it to thhe local gunsmith.I own and shoot a lot of BIG stuff and this was the worse.Was shooting a Ruger redhawk in double action leaning agianst a barracade and jamed my thumb.A year later it still hurt and was tellin my Dad he said let me see it.I didnt know he was going to do it ,but I about peed my pants.Only time I ever cussed my dad but he fixed it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#36]
My old Rem. 870 12 ga. That barrel must have had a REEEEAALLY Short forcing cone. I was shooting 00 Buck, and I think it's the barrel, cause my newer 870 is better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a T/C Contender in 45/70 with a 12" hunter barrel(muzzle brake). It was a real joy to shoot. I had the factory wood/rubber grips on it and managed the recoil pretty good.[8D] [b]On the other hand......[/b] I bought a MRI Lone Eagle in .444 Marlin. It had a black hard synthetic stock and NO brake. After about 5 rds, my wrist and forearm stiffened. After about 12, my wrist swelled and went numb. It hurt for about 2 weeks afterwards. It is long gone now. [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Not particularly painful, but still came as quite a surprise:

After shooting an AR15 Service Rifle for a whole season of Highpower, I took my M1 Garand to the range, just for fun.

In order to see any light through the tiny 0.040" rear aperture of my AR15, I had learned to get my eye as close as possible to it, and to actually touch the charging handle to the side of my nose.

Thusly conditioned over the past year, I strapped into my Garand, went prone, scrunched my face right up to the rear sight, and started shooting a 100 yard test group.

After about the 3rd shot I started tasting blood in my mouth, and finally noticed the deep scratches my right thumbnail had left just above my upper lip.

Moving my head back away from the receiver fixed that problem, but I'm afraid the AR15 (with its mild recoil) has spoiled me for ever using 30 cal rifles in Highpower.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#39]
50 BMG cal. locked breech single shot, don't recall the make. M203 grenade launcher, those things hurt!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#40]
When I was 14 my uncle and I were shooting skeet all morning.  Towards the end I threw up the 12ga on the outside of my shoulder 3 times in about 5 min.  Then we went and he let me shoot his 7 mm rem mag for the first time.  Naturally I placed it too far out on the shoulder, I felt that for about a week.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I let both baerls loose in my friends double one time when I was told it could not be done 3inch mags!!! I thought I broke my colar bone...
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#43]
It had to be my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 when it smacked me in the head while shooting a deer.  I had to stand up and pin my shoulder against the tree to get the shot.  Needless to say, my face caught the recoil.  I'm surprised it didn't knock me out of the tree.  I was so buzzed from the adrenline that I didn't even notice I was cut until I showered at 11:30 that night.  I should have gone to the doc that night and had it stitched.  I went the next day and it was too late. They don't stitch after 12 hours.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#44]
.375 H&H did a number on my shoulder, but my 20" 870 with 3 1/2's just about broke my nose a couple of years ago when I was shooting melons.  My hands were really sweaty and I lost my grip.  Bam right in the nose.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#45]
1966 - I was sixteen years old.
Old double barrel 12 ga. shotgun that belonged to a friends father, New Years night.
Too much testosterone and not enough brains.
Pulled both triggers at once. Knocked me back and almost down.
Kicked like a mule and hurt like hell, but pride kept me from complaining, at least right then.
Other than that a Desert Eagle 44 (Win.?) magnum. Shot that damn thing once and gave it back to the owner. Brutal!  
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#46]
ive have to say my 870 with 3# magnum slugs! damn!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm with warlord.  460 Weatherby can do a number on ya.  Other than that, I'd have to say a .416 Remington Ruger #1, was resting it on a wooden fence and as it knocked me on my ass it took half the board with it.  My friends got a .375 H&H built on an old Mauser action that'll jar your head.  I've still got a scar on my nose from that beast.

ques
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#48]
A Marlin 10 gauge bolt action shotgun with 3.5" slugs WOW.

For hanguns a 454 Casull. I got a nasty blister after firing only 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Touched off a .35 remington in a Marlin 336a once when the rifle was about a half inch from being snug into my shoulder.  Wouldn't want to do a repeat with a more powerful cartridge because ouch that hurt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a Mossberg 590 12 Ga. with a pistol grip that was a little too close to my face.  The recoil sent the grip into my face, busting my lip. [heavy]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top