Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/9/2002 5:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 5:51:18 PM EDT by USPC40]
Eugene Stoner Mikhail Kalashnikov Uziel Gal John Browning Samual Colt William Ruger Wilhelm Mauser Paul Mauser Horace Smith Daniel Wesson Gaston Glock Georg Luger Edmund Heckler Theodor Koch Alex Seidel Hiram Maxim Who have I forgotten? I know there are many more. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 5:59:47 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]
Shouldn't John Browning be on top? John Thompson Hugo Schmeisser John Garand
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:00:23 PM EDT
[size=4]John Moses Browning[/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:01:43 PM EDT
Dieudonne Saive
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:04:35 PM EDT
John M Browning and John C Garand
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:05:29 PM EDT
Otto Maddic [b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 6:11:24 PM EDT by Redmanfms]
Hugh Borchardt Daniel Baird Wesson
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:09:03 PM EDT
John Moses Browning, of course! Eric The(SecondPlaceAin'tEvenClose!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:16:22 PM EDT
Samuel Johannes Pauly and Casimir Lefaucheux, a Swiss and Frenchman respectively, who developed the concept of breech-loading, self-contained cartridge firearms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:25:47 PM EDT
1-Samuel Colt 2-John Browning 3-Eugene Stoner
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:39:54 PM EDT
[size=6][red]JMB[/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:57:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 6:59:34 PM EDT by captainpooby]
Gerald Bull. Canadian guy who designed long range guns for HARP. REALLY long range. Killed by Mossad for selling out to the Iraqis. You said "gun" right? Not firearm?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:13:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Shouldn't John Browning be on top?
View Quote
The list isn't in any real order except for who came to mind first. I didn't mean to ask who [b]you[/b](not you in particular SteyrAUG..anyone who reads the message) thought was the most influential or famous. I meant, who have I forgotten off the list? With all the repeats, specifically John Browning, I guess I didn't make myself clear. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:17:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By captainpooby: Gerald Bull. Canadian guy who designed long range guns for HARP. REALLY long range. Killed by Mossad for selling out to the Iraqis. You said "gun" right? Not firearm?
View Quote
Gunz is gunz. They're all good. Well, some suck, but you know what I mean. Just how influential or famous IS Gerald Bull. I've never heard of him....but that doesn't mean anything. USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 7:50:38 PM EDT by captainpooby]
[url]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iraq/other/supergun.htm[/url] This is the gun Mr. Bull was working on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 7:37:36 PM EDT by prk]
Nobody mentioned Todd Bailey. I'd say he's been influential, allright. So did Winchester not design the '94? Did Browning do some of his work?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:34:57 PM EDT
How about these guys...adding to your list, of course. Richard Jordan Gatling, MD James Puckle Theodor Bergmann Louis Schmeisser Aimo Johannes Lahti George Patchett Maj. R.V. Sheppard & Mr. H.J. Turpin Brig. Gen John Tagliaferro Thompson Georg Luger I'm sure I'll think of more... Tango7
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:36:10 PM EDT
w/o having read the other posts, I'll just throw out who popped into my head as I read the topic.. Browning Gatling Maxim Garand Mauser Stoner Kalishnikov colt the guy behind the lee-enfield I know I'm missing some... now, time to go look what everyone else posted.. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:02:53 PM EDT
OK, who are these guys? I haven't heard of them and I can't find anything on the internet about them. Otto Maddic Hugh Borchardt George Patchett USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:20:08 PM EDT
Marshall"Carbine"Williams.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:22:37 PM EDT
How can so many forget Eli "MACHINE GUN" Whitney?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:25:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Green_Furniture: How can so many forget Eli "MACHINE GUN" Whitney?
View Quote
Is that the one that shoots cotton balls? [:D] USPC40 [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img] [url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url] [url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:39:40 PM EDT
Perrywinkle Lorcin? Err...wait...
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:49:22 PM EDT
Anton Politzer of Mauser, late WW2. Designed the first automatic revolver cannon, the MG 213C, copied as the Aden/DEFA and now adopted by the USA for the JSF (Mauser BK 27). I notice that Kalashnikov is the only Russian to get a mention, but there were lots more. In fact (just to be controversial) when it comes to larger-calibre automatic weapons (especially aircraft guns) they have consistently produced the best designers of most of the last century. Just a few examples: Berezin, Shpitalnyi, Nudelmann, Rikhter, Gryazev, Shipunov. The last two have designed a phenomenal range of successful weapons of various different types; the GSh-23, GSh-30 and 2A38M twin-barrel guns, the GSh-6-23 and GSh-6-30 rotary guns, and the GSh-301 recoil-action used in the MiG-29 and Su-27. These are all astonishing performers in terms of rate of fire for the weight. Tony Williams Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 10:53:07 PM EDT
Seems to me there have been so many bad French gun designers that these should cancel out the few good French designers, so I would say there should be no Frenchmen on the list. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:07:33 PM EDT
Well, there was Marc Birkigt, who was a Swiss working for the French branch of Hispano-Suiza - he designed the Hispano 20mm aircraft cannon used by the USA and RAF in WW2 (and after). Nobody's mentioned Colonel Lewis, the American who designed one of the first and most widely used light machine guns. The problem with identifying "influential" designers is that most of the basic inventions were made by the end of the 19th century. Almost everything since then has been a matter of refining other people's ideas. Tony Williams Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk Military gun and ammunition discussion forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:08:49 PM EDT
USA: Mr. Ingram Switzerland: Mr. Metral Soviet Union/CIS: Sergei Simonov - The man behind the SKS! Gennady Nikonov - AN-94 inventor, replacement for the AK. Vladimir Susloparov Alexey Konovalov Other: Whoever invented the LeMat revolver.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:14:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USPC40: OK, who are these guys? I haven't heard of them and I can't find anything on the internet about them. Otto Maddic
View Quote
This guy is a joke.
Hugh Borchardt
View Quote
I fucked up. It's [b]Hugo[/b] Borchardt. He designed the first ever autoloading pistol. It was toggle action and kind of unwieldly. Georg Luger ( I find it interesting you mention him, considering he just redesigned one gun) redesigned the Borchardt pistol into the Luger.
George Patchett
View Quote
Got me. I have no clue who he is. All I came up with in a Google search was that he died on the Titanic in steerage.
Originally posted by prk: So did Winchester not design the '94? Did Browning do some of his work?
View Quote
Oliver Winchester never designed any guns, ever. He was a shirt maker who invested in the firearms business. Smith & Wesson were the first to patent the "volcanic" action used in lever-action rifles, but it was B. Tyler Henry who made the action successful with the use of a self-contained brass-cased .44 rimfire cartridge, instead of the old "Rocketball" stuff that Wesson had been working with. The model 1894 rifle was designed completely by John Moses Browning. JMB actually worked for Winchester for a number of years, but went out on his own because they wouldn't accept a new shotgun design of his (the Auto-5, boy did they fuck up).
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:24:20 PM EDT
Jim Waldorf- founder of Lorcin Engineering.
Top Top