Horace Smith
Daniel Wesson
Gaston Glock
Georg Luger
Edmund Heckler
Theodor Koch
Alex Seidel
Hiram Maxim

Who have I forgotten?  I know there are many more.

USPC40

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't John Browning be on top?

John Thompson
Hugo Schmeisser
John Garand

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
[size=4]John Moses Browning[/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Dieudonne Saive
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
John M Browning and
John C Garand
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Otto Maddic

[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Hugh Borchardt

Daniel Baird Wesson

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
John Moses Browning, of course!

Eric The(SecondPlaceAin'tEvenClose!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Samuel Johannes Pauly and Casimir Lefaucheux, a Swiss and Frenchman respectively, who developed the concept of breech-loading, self-contained cartridge firearms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
1-Samuel Colt
2-John Browning
3-Eugene Stoner
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
[size=6][red]JMB[/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Gerald Bull. Canadian guy who designed long range guns for HARP. REALLY long range.
Killed by Mossad for selling out to the Iraqis.

You said "gun" right? Not firearm?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shouldn't John Browning be on top?
View Quote

The list isn't in any real order except for who came to mind first.  I didn't mean to ask who [b]you[/b](not you in particular SteyrAUG..anyone who reads the message) thought was the most influential or famous.  I meant, who have I forgotten off the list?  With all the repeats, specifically John Browning, I guess I didn't make myself clear.

USPC40

[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gerald Bull. Canadian guy who designed long range guns for HARP. REALLY long range.
Killed by Mossad for selling out to the Iraqis.

You said "gun" right? Not firearm?
View Quote

Gunz is gunz.  They're all good.  Well, some suck, but you know what I mean.

Just how influential or famous IS Gerald Bull.  I've never heard of him....but that doesn't mean anything.

USPC40

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iraq/other/supergun.htm[/url]

This is the gun Mr. Bull was working on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Nobody mentioned Todd Bailey.  I'd say he's been influential, allright.

So did Winchester not design the '94?

Did Browning do some of his work?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#16]
How about these guys...adding to your list, of course.

Richard Jordan Gatling, MD
James Puckle
Theodor Bergmann
Louis Schmeisser
Aimo Johannes Lahti
George Patchett
Maj. R.V. Sheppard & Mr. H.J. Turpin
Brig. Gen John Tagliaferro Thompson
Georg Luger

I'm sure I'll think of more...

Tango7

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
w/o having read the other posts, I'll just throw out who popped into my head as I read the topic..

Browning
Gatling
Maxim
Garand
Mauser
Stoner
Kalishnikov
colt

the guy behind the lee-enfield

I know I'm missing some...  

now, time to go look what everyone else posted.. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, who are these guys?  I haven't heard of them and I can't find anything on the internet about them.

Otto Maddic
Hugh Borchardt
George Patchett

USPC40

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Marshall"Carbine"Williams.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
How can so many forget Eli "MACHINE GUN" Whitney?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How can so many forget Eli "MACHINE GUN" Whitney?
View Quote

Is that the one that shoots cotton balls? [:D]

USPC40

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Perrywinkle Lorcin?

Err...wait...
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Anton Politzer of Mauser, late WW2. Designed the first automatic revolver cannon, the MG 213C, copied as the Aden/DEFA and now adopted by the USA for the JSF (Mauser BK 27).

I notice that Kalashnikov is the only Russian to get a mention, but there were lots more. In fact (just to be controversial) when it comes to larger-calibre automatic weapons (especially aircraft guns) they have consistently produced the best designers of most of the last century. Just a few examples:

Berezin, Shpitalnyi, Nudelmann, Rikhter, Gryazev, Shipunov.

The last two have designed a phenomenal range of successful weapons of various different types; the GSh-23, GSh-30 and 2A38M twin-barrel guns, the GSh-6-23 and GSh-6-30 rotary guns, and the GSh-301 recoil-action used in the MiG-29 and Su-27. These are all astonishing performers in terms of rate of fire for the weight.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Seems to me there have been so many bad French gun designers that these should cancel out the few good French designers, so I would say there should be no Frenchmen on the list. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, there was Marc Birkigt, who was a Swiss working for the French branch of Hispano-Suiza - he designed the Hispano 20mm aircraft cannon used by the USA and RAF in WW2 (and after).

Nobody's mentioned Colonel Lewis, the American who designed one of the first and most widely used light machine guns.

The problem with identifying "influential" designers is that most of the basic inventions were made by the end of the 19th century. Almost everything since then has been a matter of refining other people's ideas.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Military gun and ammunition discussion forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
USA:
Mr. Ingram

Switzerland:
Mr. Metral

Soviet Union/CIS:
Sergei Simonov - The man behind the SKS!
Gennady Nikonov - AN-94 inventor, replacement for the AK.
Vladimir Susloparov
Alexey Konovalov

Other:
Whoever invented the LeMat revolver.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OK, who are these guys?  I haven't heard of them and I can't find anything on the internet about them.

Otto Maddic
View Quote

This guy is a joke.

Hugh Borchardt
View Quote

I fucked up.  It's [b]Hugo[/b] Borchardt.  He designed the first ever autoloading pistol.  It was toggle action and kind of unwieldly.  Georg Luger ( I find it interesting you mention him, considering he just redesigned one gun) redesigned the Borchardt pistol into the Luger.

George Patchett
View Quote

Got me.  I have no clue who he is.  All I came up with in a Google search was that he died on the Titanic in steerage.

Quoted:
So did Winchester not design the '94?

Did Browning do some of his work?
View Quote

Oliver Winchester never designed any guns, ever.  He was a shirt maker who invested in the firearms business.  Smith & Wesson were the first to patent the "volcanic" action used in lever-action rifles, but it was B. Tyler Henry who made the action successful with the use of a self-contained brass-cased .44 rimfire cartridge, instead of the old "Rocketball" stuff that Wesson had been working with.   The model 1894 rifle was designed completely by John Moses Browning.  JMB actually worked for Winchester for a number of years, but went out on his own because they wouldn't accept a new shotgun design of his (the Auto-5, boy did they fuck up).
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Jim Waldorf- founder of Lorcin Engineering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top