Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/23/2005 4:56:04 AM EDT
What's the cheapest gun I can buy to turn in for the free $100 in my local PD's buyback program?

I'd like to bring 50 or 100 along.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:57:24 AM EDT
Mauser? 100 is pretty low.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:59:59 AM EDT
i think it would be terrible to see surplus rifles destroyed. stick with hi-point. scan the local classifieds to see if you can find some used handguns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:03:27 AM EDT
They had those 5 ofr $100 dollar specials in the past. I think they were Ravens or something of that nature. $500 for $100 seems awesome to me!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:04:45 AM EDT
I have 5 stripped small ring Mausers I bought for 19$ apiece that have been waiting for a local buyback program for years now. Rusted, cracked stocks, no bolts.

Unfortunately, the only local buybacks here gave away McDonalds coupons and sneakers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:06:31 AM EDT
I think that the whole idea is seriously fucked up and you should shit can it immedately. Buying a gun simply to have it destroyed by surrendering it to the government is unforgivable, regardless of the return. Use your head.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:08:26 AM EDT
Do they take Airsoft?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:10:24 AM EDT
Not if you are using worthless guns.

I believe one of the big distributors offers guns as "gunsmith specials" that are missing parts and such. Those would be prime candidates for such a buyback.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:11:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I think that the whole idea is seriously fucked up and you should shit can it immedately. Buying a gun simply to have it destroyed by surrendering it to the government is unforgivable, regardless of the return. Use your head.

I can think of plenty of guns that are prime candidates for programs like this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:12:31 AM EDT

Not at all if its junk guns. A lot of these programs will now only accept working guns due to the types of guy like those that hang out here. We would turn in piles of ancient useless and unsafe guns and go buy a new pair of sneakers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cjk1:
Not if you are using worthless guns.

I believe one of the big distributors offers guns as "gunsmith specials" that are missing parts and such. Those would be prime candidates for such a buyback.

That is what I was thinking also!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:14:03 AM EDT
they did a toy gun buy back here in baltimore once, they gave 10 bucks cash for every toy gun turned in. one guy bankrupted it, he bought over 200 squirt guns from the dollar store and spry painted them black and turned in about 150 of them, they ran out of money
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 5:21:56 AM EDT by motown_steve]

Originally Posted By ARDOC:

Not at all if its junk guns. A lot of these programs will now only accept working guns due to the types of guy like those that hang out here. We would turn in piles of ancient useless and unsafe guns and go buy a new pair of sneakers.

Well, a broken, rusted over SKS or something is fine. But he didn't say that, he asked what was the most cost effective gun that he could BUY to take to the buy back program. To me that means that he's going to go fine a cheap, maybe ugly but FUNCTIONING firearm, buy it and then sell it to the government subjegation program. I can't stomach the thought of it.

FWIW...I have an SKS that is just the receiver, barrel, bolt, bolt carrier and action spring (no stock, no trigger, no mag) and I still wouldn't sell it to a buy back program.

The entire idea of government buy back programs for guns sickens me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:24:45 AM EDT

I don't believe that statement: I bought some chink boltguns & a raven back in the 90's under $30 each & got $100 each in a buyback & even talked an oldtimer into swapping his 1911 for my Raven to turn in. Did that right in the PD lobby. I beat street real quick once that deal went down!

Used the money to feel my BRD...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:29:27 AM EDT
If zip guns count, make a million of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:34:12 AM EDT
Order a shitload of those M44 Mosin's and double your money
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:47:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scotty1911:
they did a toy gun buy back here in baltimore once, they gave 10 bucks cash for every toy gun turned in. one guy bankrupted it, he bought over 200 squirt guns from the dollar store and spry painted them black and turned in about 150 of them, they ran out of money

Thats funny.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:49:07 AM EDT
I would go to the dollar store and get the little black plastic toy guns with the orange thing on the end of the barrel. You can pull off the orange thing with pliers or sometimes just by hand.

I've also thought of using steel tube and 2x4s and making my own zip guns. Gun buybacks are no questions asked, right?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:52:49 AM EDT
I find it strange that people would condemn welfare cheats on this board, but nobody is condemning the idea that you'd be happy to use other people's tax dollars to get money for guns that you bought expressly for the purpose of selling to the government.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:53:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT by BoreSighted]
The spring action 1911-shaped BB gun sold at Walmart for $19 comes to mind...

In the state of New Jersey, those *are* firearms, and require both a Firearms Owner ID card and a Pistol Purchase Permit to acquire, and they'd have to take them. But of course Walmart doesn't sell bbguns in New Jersey (or any conventional firearms) due to the NJ laws.

I've pondered going through that exercise on purpose for the next gun buyback, and proudly saying to them that it (the $20 bbgun that costs me $20 +$15 NICS + 3$ PPPermit) turned out to not meet my expectations of quality and that I was very happy that they were giving me more money to instead buy a better gun, and to have a nice day.

But I wouldn't really waste a PistolPurchasePermit that the chief has to sign on such an exercise, in the end that would be an abuse of his time so I couldn't do such a thing.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:53:42 AM EDT
Oh, Phil, when is there going to be a buyback in NY? I'll show up for the pro-gun rally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:54:19 AM EDT
DC police were offering $50 or $100 for "zipguns" during their last buyback, I was tempted to make like 50 of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:57:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pliftkl:
I find it strange that people would condemn welfare cheats on this board, but nobody is condemning the idea that you'd be happy to use other people's tax dollars to get money for guns that you bought expressly for the purpose of selling to the government.

It's a bullshit program to begin with, so I say take advantage of it, then drop your profits on more guns and ammo; at least then the taxpayer money would be well spent.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:07:34 AM EDT

If they are going to waste my money on bullshit like gun buybacks I wants someone to do something like that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:17:24 AM EDT
Sometimes "do-gooder" groups put up the money for buybacks. If that was the case, I wouldn't feel at all guilty about taking their money for some gunsmith specials or homemade zip guns (found while diving in the lake).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:56:50 AM EDT
I'd stand out front of the buyback place with a sign "Your gun might be worth $60 cash, check with me first."

Any cop that hassled me I'd sue for violating my 2nd amendment rights.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:06:30 AM EDT

It's a bullshit program to begin with, so I say take advantage of it, then drop your profits on more guns and ammo; at least then the taxpayer money would be well spent.

+1

Those gun buy-back programs are a total waste of our money (along with most of the departments who adminster them). Why should we not try to recoup some of that taxpayer money and do something good with it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:12:22 AM EDT
Any 'Jennings' pistol. Just find a pimp and start beating the shit out of him, they are bound to fall out of his pockets. Take to gun buyback and get 50 bucks each.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 9:06:37 AM EDT by MonkeyGrip]
Posts here are quite amusing and I could see myself getting excited about participating in such a deal (i.e. ripping off the dumb govt.), but it reminds me that welfare cheaters think the same way.

The lesson is: Allowing the goverment to get/spend any money on "social programs" is just risking their wasteing it for nothing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:11:51 AM EDT
Since the programs are usually funded for a set amount, if you take advantage by turning in crappo guns, you are shortening the life of the buy-back program, and therby lowering the odds that someone of limited knowledge will turn in a historically significant gun that their Dad left them.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:56 AM EDT

First most programs are privately funded. Second, even if it was tax dollars, what better thing to do than bankrupt a program you are oppossed to? Kind of like a tax return to make up for all the bans.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:13:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
Do they take Airsoft?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:20:58 AM EDT
Show up with some NFA toys (Minigun?) and watch the looks on their faces. Then laugh, scream "not today, bitches!" and return home.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:41:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT by VLODPG]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
Show up with some NFA toys (Minigun?) and watch the looks on their faces. Then laugh, scream "not today, bitches!" and return home.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT

This thread is priceless.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:50:12 PM EDT

Shoot, if these people are stupid enough to pay you money for worthless guns, why not?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:41:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NeoCon007:

+1

Those gun buy-back programs are a total waste of our money (along with most of the departments who adminster them). Why should we not try to recoup some of that taxpayer money and do something good with it?

That's an interesting attitude for a guy with a handle of "Neo-con".

Maybe if I get laid off next week, I should just kick back and collect unemployment for about a year or so? After all, why wouldn't I want to take advantage of it, and then the taxpayer can pay for my guns and ammo, and that would be taxpayer money well spent? Sure, I could get another job easily, but why work when I could be home playing with my kids and enjoying life? Wouldn't that be "taxpayer money well spent" as you put it?

Seriously, if you use cheap guns to take advatage of a gun buy-back program that is funded by tax dollars (and remember that if it is run by the police, part of it IS by definition run by tax dollars), then you are as much of a scumbag as any welfare cheat. You can't use the fact that there are worse uses of your tax dollars as an excuse to become a societal leach.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:37:00 PM EDT
I think government programs should be abused, so flagrently that the govenrment has to get off its ass and shut down the programs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:47:02 PM EDT
I see it as an opportunity to get some tax money back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:47:40 PM EDT

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:01:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:
What's the cheapest gun I can buy to turn in for the free $100 in my local PD's buyback program?

I'd like to bring 50 or 100 along.

Non-functional guns are always good if they cannot be repaired. I would buy some used military surplus worn out parts and put it on a fake receiver.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/23/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT by ProfGAB101]

show up and say:

$100 for the gun
$200 transfer tax ( unless they want to all be felons for accepting it mentioning the fact that every one present becomes an accessory and part of conspiracy to commit a felony... )
$50 for paperwork....

Let them mull that one over.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:06:45 PM EDT
Make sure you inspect the guns of folks in line anything worth having offer $110. Also bring a friend with a video camera(leave him just across the street) in case the cops get touchy feely.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:07:49 PM EDT
Dont leave/give your name on anything.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:22:16 PM EDT
I saw this thread name and had a smart ass reply in store, but then I read the replies already there and realized I couldn't top 'em.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:46:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jbombelli:

[lol2]

Top Top