Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2012 3:17:13 PM EDT
My current ride is a 97 F150, 4.6, 4x4 with somewhere north of 200K on it. We recently bought a camper, so I'm sure that I am riding on borrowed time. The camper is 33', so it is actually more than the truck is rated for anyway. Give me some advice on getting the best value on a tow vehicle. I don't drive enough miles to justify buying a new ride but I don't want one that is ragged out, because I will likely keep it for a minimum of 10 years. I am thinking about a used gas motor HD truck or maybe an Ecboost if it is up to the job.

Which motors or years have better reputations?
Are there any lemon years or motors to be aware of?
Is there one truck that stands out as a "good deal?"
Other?
Thanks.

1.  +/- 10,000 miles a year.
2.  Seating for at least 4
3.  Ability to tow a 7000+ camper safely.
4.  Gas motor. (Probably)
5.  4 X4 not a requirement.
6.  Trim Level not very important. (Medium/Regular)
7.  Brand not important.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
8.1L GM trucks would be a good match for your camper if you must go gas. They are also fairly inexpensive now that gas is high. 2001-2007 2500HD and 3500HD pickups.

Expect 6-10 mpg pulling that travel trailer.

The 8.1L/ Allison Auto is an excellent combo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My current ride is a 97 F150, 4.6, 4x4 with somewhere north of 200K on it. We recently bought a camper, so I'm sure that I am riding on borrowed time. The camper is 33', so it is actually more than the truck is rated for anyway. Give me some advice on getting the best value on a tow vehicle. I don't drive enough miles to justify buying a new ride but I don't want one that is ragged out, because I will likely keep it for a minimum of 10 years. I am thinking about a used gas motor HD truck or maybe an Ecboost if it is up to the job.

Which motors or years have better reputations?
Are there any lemon years or motors to be aware of?
Is there one truck that stands out as a "good deal?"
Other?
Thanks.

1.  +/- 10,000 miles a year.
2.  Seating for at least 4
3.  Ability to tow a 7000+ camper safely.
4.  Gas motor. (Probably)
5.  4 X4 not a requirement.
6.  Trim Level not very important. (Medium/Regular)
7.  Brand not important.

If diesel is an option, then the 7.3L superduty's are the ideal choice. (not too sure about the reliability on the gas V10, and even with the 3V update the 5.4 seems underpowered)

But if it is really gas only then you might want to look at the current f150 with the 5.0 (if you are unsure about the ecoboost) or a tundra with the V8.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I think the 2006 and 2007 F250 and F350s with the 6.0L turbo diesel engine are very good values.  They have the stigma as being one of "those horrible 6.0s" so their resale values aren't that high.  Those were the last two years of the 6.0 from Ford, and by then the 6.0 was actually pretty reliable.  2003 was a changeover year, some were 7.3L diesels and some were the 6.0s.  The 7.3L was great, but for you to find one that will last 10 more years might prove to be a difficult search.  You should be able to find some very good condition 2006/2007 models out there.  Within a month I would bet you could find at least one or two in your area that have been babied.

I'd also go with diesel since you plan on doing some towing.  It'll tow 7,000 lbs like its nothing.  Would you rather be close to maxiing out the available power from a 1/2 ton truck, or would you rather be able to have some leftover power to help you if you are going up a grade?  Also, going up to the 3/4 or 1 ton gives you more cab room.  

I'm a Ford guy so that's what I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll second the used Chevy 2500/3500 platform as best bang for the buck for your application, and I have both 6.0 and 6.7 PSDs.

6.0 Chevy will do what you need at lowest cost, both upfront and over time.

That said, I wouldn't run from an UNMODDED 6.0 PSD , IF I knew its history, and some great deals are out there due to the 6.0 stigma.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As with any 6.0 and with any diesel overall, plan to have an extra 5k in the bank at all all times to cover repair cost.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
6.0 Chevy will do what you need at lowest cost, both upfront and over time.

This.

I'm not big on the gas options in Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton trucks, but the GM 6.0L is a great engine with plenty of power. If you go with a gas engine in an HD truck, go with a GM. The 6.0 should be plenty to tow your camper.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were me and I were to insist on a gasser, the ONLY options Id look for are a Ford V10 or the Chevy 8.1L.

That said, if you pony up the cash for a diesel, youll thank yourself later. Over and over. That trailer is solidly in diesel only territory.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As with any 6.0 and with any diesel overall, plan to have an extra 5k in the bank at all all times to cover repair cost.

Not sure Dodge offered a legitimate 4 seat truck in the age range your looking at - I drive a '00 Quad Cab and the back seat is useless.  I'm thinking the GM crew cab 2500 is probably your best bet - it will tow your trailer with the right gas engine but will get shitty MPG while doing it.  However, if you don't tow frequently the increased purchase price of the diesel is hard to justify.  My CTD has averaged 15mpg over ~125K miles - the vast majority were unloaded but I do tow a 36ft 5th wheel ~2000 miles/year (if that).

Not sure where the $5K in the bank for repair costs for diesels comes from - guys I know with relatively stock diesels haven't had any major unexpected repairs.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Lets see here, and this is a just a generalization, but typically, a diesel will cost you in maintence.

Lets just go over the weakpoints of the brands themselves?

Dodges- Tranny, and the fact that its a dodge everywhere except the motor
Ford - 7.3 (4100r)  6.0 studs and egr
Chevy- Front suspension mainly

Am I missing something?  I am not here to aruge the diesel god's though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top