Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2004 7:10:54 PM EDT
While reading the thread about trading in preban lowers so they can go to people in communist states, it got me to thinking, which state is worse for guns, and why?
I know about Kalistan since that's where I'm from, (sb23.. GRRRR a big FUCK YOU to Gay Davis for that one)  but no idea about NY's laws, although I know they are pretty bad.

Can people in NY get prebans imported? I was under the impression you couldn't in Kalistan, and since prebans were sooo expensive I never really bothered to find out if it could be done, although I assume I'd have heard something about it if it were possible after sb23 passed.

poll upcoming.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
New Yorkers can have ARs, can't they?  If so, then Kalifornia DEFINITELY has a more ridiculously stupid and pointless ban.  

BTW, we can't even buy prebans.  The ONLY way for us to legally own an AR is to have owned it before the 2000 ban.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the PRK for sure cuz they harbor the Dometic terrorist Dianne Feinstein.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We can have anything allowed under the federal AWB as it exists today.  While we have asshole judges issuing permits, outside of NYC it is pretty much shall issue without cause to reject.  They do however make you jump through hoops and judges rely on case law to put restrictions on carrying.  However, those are not statutory, so no violation in carrying against restrictions... though you can lose your permit if the judge is a cranky bastard.  But still, we are head and shoulders above Cali... for now... and we don;t have a .50 ban... yet...

+1 Some local judges are douchbags.  Like the ones in my county.  But nothing as bad as Kali.  I can still walk into walmart and buy as Rem870 and walk out in 20 mins.  20 Mins because Walmarts sales people who work the hunting sections are worthless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
New York by a long shot.  The Sullivan Laws.

Other than AWs no permits needed to buy, own, keep at home or work (if your business) firearms in CA.  CA also has one of the least restrictive Use of Deadly Force in the Home laws of all the statess.

Remember that guy that shot the bg with the gun he from FL a while back?  would have been a non-newsworthy event out here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
New York by a long shot.  The Sullivan Laws.

Other than AWs no permits needed to buy, own, keep at home or work (if your business) firearms in CA.  CA also has one of the least restrictive Use of Deadly Force in the Home laws of all the statess.

Remember that guy that shot the bg with the gun he from FL a while back?  would have been a non-newsworthy event out here.

Really, you can buy without a permit.  You got to be shitting me.  I can't take a crap without my local douchbag of a judge telling me to use one ply or two, let alone buy one without a permit.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
And unfortunately I'll be spending most of my time in Kali for the next 3 or 4 years.  I have the option of registering my AR-10 here under an exemption, but I refuse to participate in their madness.  As such I keep the rifle tucked away elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#8]
definitely CA. We've got SB23, plus that damned "CA Approved Handgun List." The only thing worse is D.C.'s total ban
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
You ever see a FAB10 AR15? That's as close as the real thing that we can currently buy out here. Tell me NY's laws are worse than ours.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, Washington D.C. is the Worst place in the country. But then, it's not part of this country, it's it's own little country. If ya' don't believe me do a google on it and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on what you are into.  If you like AWs, then definitly CA, but if you like handguns it is much worse in NY, even with our "Approved List".  Our waiting periods suck, and you have to get a "handgun liscence" by taking an easy multiple choice test once every five years, but I can go buy a Kimber and pick it up in 10 days and no permits needed.  Handguns are registered in this state though, but that isn't a big deal to me.

Of course, Monday I'm really going to be wishing I lived somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I know in NYC you can't own a friggen BB gun
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#14]
NYS is not that bad (I suppose).

Outside of NYC, things are fairly sane. Yeah, the whole pistol permit process is a drag, but once you have one, getting it amended is not nearly as complicated or annoying as the initial application process.

The state level AWB bothers me a LOT, but I guess I could live with pre 1994 & "post ban" configured rifles if I really had to. I don't plan on having to, however... the wife & I are looking into moving to PA. (Yum... full auto & SBRs'!!!)

See, what really frightens me is what the future holds for NYS. The political climate of this state is dominated by leftist ideologues, so gun laws are only going to get more restrictive as time passes.

Hence the interest in PA. & my hesitance to lay down permanent roots (i.e. buy a home) here in NYS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Whats it like getting a ccw in New York?
Despite what everyone thinks about Cali, it really isnt that hard to get unless you are in San Fransisco/Los Angles areas
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're talking about so-called "Assault Weapons" then the PRK sucks donkey dick.  For everything else we're MUCH better than IL or NY (IMHO).

Handguns we have an "approved list" that's fairly large justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf

The list only applies for new sales from FFL's.  You can buy anything that a private party wants to sell (the sale has to go through an FFL).

The requirements for buying handguns is a "Handgun Safety Certificate" ($25 bucks, good for 5 years, 30 question test that if you can't pass you really shouldn't be handling guns in the first place) and proof of residence (utility bill, car registration).  1 handgun a month rule applies.

You only need to do the 4473 for long guns.  No limits as to the number you can buy.

10 day waiting period applies for all sales.

The idea of having to get an FOID to handle or buy guns and ammo is just insane (and the fact that they are confiscating guns from people that didn't renew speaks volumes).  Also having to get PERMITS issued by judges to buy a gun is insane as well (I won't even mention the true insanity that is NYC proper).

Sorry, the PRK sucks in the forever AW ban but beyond that we're better off in the fact there is no actual PERMITS required for our ownership of firearms.  I'll take a reduced selection of arms over. a better selection but more gooberment control of how you can purchase and own.

ETA:  California is also "May Issue" and many of the more rural parts of the state do so with no problem.  It sucks living in an urban area where self defense isn't a "valid" reason for getting a CCW but at least our "country" brothers and sisters can pack and can do so anywhere in the state once they have their CCW.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
New Jersey is pretty bad, too!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Depends on what you are into.  If you like AWs, then definitly CA, but if you like handguns it is much worse in NY, even with our "Approved List".  Our waiting periods suck, and you have to get a "handgun liscence" by taking an easy multiple choice test once every five years, but I can go buy a Kimber and pick it up in 10 days and no permits needed.  Handguns are registered in this state though, but that isn't a big deal to me.

Of course, Monday I'm really going to be wishing I lived somewhere else.

Once you have your CCW here in NY you can get the serial # of the handgun you want and
get it added to your license (20 min to 3 days depending if the judge is in or not) . and the Permit/License  is good for life if you live outside NYC . No waiting period and No approved weapon list .

And if it's a Kimber you want ..... They make them here  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, shows how deep the anti-CA bias is in the gun community.
You sadasses - NYC's near total block on firearms ownership is FAR more restrictive than CA.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Well, shows how deep the anti-CA bias is in the gun community.
You sadasses - NYC's near total block on firearms ownership is FAR more restrictive than CA.

No Argument there , NYC is almost as bad as DC’s total ban  , but do you realize how geographically small the NYC area is compared to the rest of the state ?

New York City is made up of five boroughs: Manhattan, The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Richmond.   Together they cover an area of 319 square miles of NY States 49,712 square miles .

For comparison the City of Los Angeles covers 458.2 square miles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Feinstein
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
If you mean Upstate NY, then California is way worse. It's a draw between NYC and California
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:36:08 AM EDT
[#24]
What about maryland and massachusetts?  don't they have worse laws than cali?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
hawaii, you need a permit to buy amo over 500 rounds.  Not to mention the most restrictive handgun laws, and a ccw on the books that is just there to tease you.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
NYC and Buffalo have VERY restrictive laws on not only handguns, but all firearms, and even airguns. (no paintball in NYC) but outside of NYC, it's okay you don't need anything to buy an AR or AK in Westchester county, other than a NYS drivers license saying you're over 18. No waiting period, and no permits. Handguns can be trickier to get permits for, but usually if you go through the paperwork, you'll get a permit in 6 months. There are no limits on purchasing Ammo either that I'm aware of, but some major chain stores here (K mart & Sports Authority) have been reportedly asking to see a pistol permit to sell you any centerfire cartridge from .25 to .50AE, rifle rounds are bought with a drivers license. No bans on AW except the federal ban, and that's almost history!

In NYC you CAN own any long arm that you want, you just have to NOTIFY the local NYPD precinct that you own it.

In Kali, by comparison, it's a lot worse. The best thing about CA that I can think of is that there are much better gun dealers and firing ranges out there than there is in NY. There is still a shooting culture in CA, while in southern NY, it's all but vanished, even if the laws remain more leinent.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Samhain44...

No bans on AW except the federal ban, and that's almost history!

Hate to break it to you buddy, but NY has a state level AWB that lacks an expiration date.

You did know that, didn't you???
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I voted "other" for New Jersey, and here's why:

1 Permit (FID card) required for ownership.
2 Permit (FID card + CLEO signoff) required to purchase pistols (90 day expiration, have to get a new permit for each pistol).
3 No hollowpoints allowed (for all practical purposes)
4 "May issue" CCW more restrictive than both NY & CA
5 State AW ban (no sunset) more restrictive than Klinton 94 ban, though not as bad as CA, I believe.
6 No "high cap" (15+ round) mags.
7 BB guns classified as firearms.
8 State ban on slingshots (no joke).

Granted #8 has nothing to do with firearms, but it goes to show the attitude. JMHO.

Glad I moved out while I was still sane.

-FMD
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#29]
CA -
As mentioned no new or old assault weapons, 10 day waiting period for all firearms purchases, must complete safety course paperwork for pistol purchases, pisotls are registered, approved handgun list, no class III

NYS -
Rifles/shotguns easy but pistols require registration and approval by some government authority.  Cannot be in NYS with an unregistered pistol unless traveling through without stopping, no AW unless post ban.  Magazine capacity limit (AW style ban).  No class III either.

NYC -
Must register everything, have everything approved before even thinking about buying a gun.  Way too restrictive.  NYS carry permits are invalid in NYC, just way too much BS.  Everything is pretty much a no, no.  Owning a high cap. mag is also evil and a felony.

NJ -
Need to get firearms ID card to own/purchase any firearm.  Pistols must be registered and you must get approval from local PD to purchase a pistol, rifles/shotgun purchases registered.  Restrictive AW ban but post ban rifles are OK (as far as I know).  Damn near impossible to get a CCW permit, magazine capacities limited to 15 rounds, no class III

HI -
Permit to purchase any firearm, registration of all firearms, chief of police regulate permits to purchase, restrictive assault pistol ban, no class III; I don't know of anything else on top of this....

MA -
Restrictive permited purchasing process, State defined classes of fireamrs (A and B) along with your Firearms Identification Card (FID), AW ban (like federal but does not sunset),  restrictions on magazines, .gov approved, no machineguns, airguns and BB guns are also regulated, probably more that I don't know about.

CT -
Permit process to purchase a pistol, 2 week waiting period, perminant AW ban, cannot bring in prebans or sell them, restrictive storage requirements

MD -
Perminant AW ban, handgun purchases go through state police, cannot purchase more than 1 handgun or assault weapon in a 30 day period, must complete a safety course to buy a regulated firearm or pistol, registration of AW, approved roster of handguns, MGs are OK, assault pistol restrictions, magazine capacity limited to 20.  

IL -
Must get FOID card to do anything related to firearms including purchasing, transportation, purchase of ammunition, etc, no class III.  Chicago his full firearm registration and has banned all handguns.  Other municipalities have followed.  There is no provision for CCW in IL (not aware of any open carry permission either).

DC -
All firearms registered, no new pisols in DC after 1976.  Must have gun locked up at home (self defense is not allowed in one's own home).   Technically not even permitted to travel through DC with an unregistered firearm even if it is locked up in your trunk with ammo separated.  

Most of the listed states have storage requiremnts or trigger lock requirements.  Many require that all firearms transfers go through a FFL.

I think that pretty much sums it up.  States like KS, NE, and others do not have CCW laws yet.  I don't know all the laws but those are the ones I pretty much know.  When I graduated college I went looking for jobs and the above mentioned areas pretty much decided where I was going to live.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top