Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/31/2001 3:49:50 AM EST
[url]http://www.morganquinto.com/cit01dang.htm[/url] 1 Detroit, MI 2 Atlanta, GA 3 St. Louis, MO 4 Flint, MI 5 Camden, NJ 6 Gary, IN 7 W.Palm Be, FL 8 Compton, CA 9 Tampa, FL 10 Wash, DC
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:07:46 AM EST
They forgot to add any city that Jesse Jackson is currently in. sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:17:46 AM EST
Michigan has 2. We finally win at something (or at least tie with Florida).
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:23:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 4:20:19 AM EST by Oslow]
Chicago isn't listed because Mayor Dufus can't (won't) keep statistics. Michigan is NUMBER 1! Way to go!
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:26:03 AM EST
Uhh, I could have sworn that D.C. was at least in the top three. Atlanta isn't that dangerous. sheesh.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:29:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 4:36:26 AM EST by LARRYG]
I doubt the accuracy of this report. First, D.C. is safer than Atlanta? I don't think so. Los Angeles or Chicago not in the top 10? Give me a break. They ranked several cities in shall issue states as very unsafe (Atlanta, West Palm, and Tampa for instance). They list Los Angeles as the 95th most dangerous, safer than say, Savannah, GA. New York is the 120th most dangerous????? Bullcrap! I think this is very political.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:33:49 AM EST
And also a CCW listing: 1. Just got shall issue, should change soon, IF the sheriff stopped being an ass about scheduling finger prints. 2. Shall issue 3. LMAO 4. See #1 5. A GUN?! You want a GUN in NJ?! 6. Shall issue 7. Hmmmm, need more CCWs. 8. You were thinking the rappers would control the people? 9. What the hell, would someone please put signs up in inner-city Florida saying "We have CCW, screw with us and die" 10. I think this list is up-side down. Kharn
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:56:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By LARRYG: I doubt the accuracy of this report. First, D.C. is safer than Atlanta? I don't think so. Los Angeles or Chicago not in the top 10? Give me a break. They ranked several cities in shall issue states as very unsafe (Atlanta, West Palm, and Tampa for instance). They list Los Angeles as the 95th most dangerous, safer than say, Savannah, GA. New York is the 120th most dangerous????? Bullcrap! I think this is very political.
View Quote
I'm not defending this list, but if they are judging "danger" by a ratio between crime and population, then NY would be far down, having 8 million people and all.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:08:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By stubbs:
Originally Posted By LARRYG: I doubt the accuracy of this report. First, D.C. is safer than Atlanta? I don't think so. Los Angeles or Chicago not in the top 10? Give me a break. They ranked several cities in shall issue states as very unsafe (Atlanta, West Palm, and Tampa for instance). They list Los Angeles as the 95th most dangerous, safer than say, Savannah, GA. New York is the 120th most dangerous????? Bullcrap! I think this is very political.
View Quote
I'm not defending this list, but if they are judging "danger" by a ratio between crime and population, then NY would be far down, having 8 million people and all.
View Quote
Sounds like you are defending it to me. I still think it is political. I know it is done on a per capita basis. However, if I am in Savannah walking down the street I am still safer than NYC simply because there aren't as many potential bad guys around. Your chances of having a violent crime committed upon yourself is still far greater in NYC than in Savannah. Besides, I believe that even on a per capita basis the crime rate is still higher in NYC than Savannah. I believe this list is very slanted. Also, in their methodology, they give auto theft the same value as murder and rape. Auto theft does not necessarily affect your safety.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:11:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 5:10:10 AM EST by platform389]
"Atlanta isn't that dangerous. sheesh." Really? Come on by and let me take you on a tour of the part the tourist folks don't talk about. I can promise a change of mind Edited for examples. Yesterday, US Mail truck hijacked for mail load at gunpoint. Yesterday, Carjacker took a SUV with manual transmission, couldn't drive it and crashed into a building. Jumped out, shot a driver of another car, and carjacked a second vehicle. That was just yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:20:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 5:18:20 AM EST by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By platform389: "Atlanta isn't that dangerous. sheesh." Really? Come on by and let me take you on a tour of the part the tourist folks don't talk about. I can promise a change of mind Edited for examples. Yesterday, US Mail truck hijacked for mail load at gunpoint. Yesterday, Carjacker took a SUV with manual transmission, couldn't drive it and crashed into a building. Jumped out, shot a driver of another car, and carjacked a second vehicle. That was just yesterday.
View Quote
Let's see, two examples for a whole day. I lived in Atlanta for 29 years before my company forced me to move to the beach, I have traveled to New York quite a bit for my job, and I will still say that Atlanta is a hell of a lot safer than NYC, plus in Atlanta I am allowed to defend myself. If the either of the two carjacked drivers had been legally armed, this could have had a different ending.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:32:47 AM EST
D.C. should be #1 considering they have the highest murder rate in the U.S.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:37:21 AM EST
Let's see, two examples for a whole day Those were just two I could come up with off the bat. Larry, wait till it gets dark and travel over to Perry Homes, Maddox Park, Bankhead Highway east of the river, Jones Avenue west of the railroad. Been to Greenbriar Mall lately? Dare you to go after dark. For fun, try Hollywood Blvd just about anytime.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:37:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By reconxl: D.C. should be #1 considering they have the highest murder rate in the U.S.
View Quote
Exactly! As I said in a previous post, they gave auto theft the same weighted value as murder. I think that makes it a little skewed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:41:51 AM EST
I went to school in Atlanta between '93 and '97 and while I was there, the city routinely made the top of the FBI's Most Violent Cities for it's size. It's true, North Atlanta is not too bad, but south Atlanta is a war zone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:43:53 AM EST
I live in the Arlington, VA, right outside of DC. I think the reason DC is not ranked higher is because they are including the surrounding metropolitan area as part of DC. Man, I feel bad that we are keeping DC from achieving the glory of being #1.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:49:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:50:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By reconxl: Uhh, I could have sworn that D.C. was at least in the top three. Atlanta isn't that dangerous. sheesh.
View Quote
Atlanta metro area is alright (population 3.8 million, mostly conservative suburban areas) City of Atlanta SUCKS! (population 400k, 75% Liberal bloodsucking leaches, 25% host organisms)
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:52:53 AM EST
Talking about war zone, DC should rank #1. Specially in SE and NE border with PG county MD.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 6:37:40 AM EST
I can vouch for Gary, IN. That city is an open sewer. Made the mistake of stopping for gas there once on the way to the East coast. Lock and load. [uzi]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:42:57 AM EST
I'm not to sure about St.Louis. I think they meant East St.Louis. Big difference since East St.Louis is in Illinois.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:10:52 AM EST
According to that list I am safer in the gangsta paradises Des Moines,IA and Waterbuyr,CT than in Chicago. Chicago isn't even in the 100 most dangerous cities, I should go move to Cabrini Green or the Robert Taylor homes so I can be safe. FI
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:44:08 AM EST
Gary, Indiana is definitly near the top. Our church has a priest out there and he says it pretty bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:55:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By platform389: Let's see, two examples for a whole day Those were just two I could come up with off the bat. Larry, wait till it gets dark and travel over to Perry Homes, Maddox Park, Bankhead Highway east of the river, Jones Avenue west of the railroad. Been to Greenbriar Mall lately? Dare you to go after dark. For fun, try Hollywood Blvd just about anytime.
View Quote
Ah, lovely Hollywood Blvd!!! Where every night is the Fourth of July. Well, you can hear the fireworks go bang, bang, bang...but oddly, you never see the pretty lights. Hummmm? Hollywood Blvd gets my vote for scariest street. BTW...why is Martin Luther King Blvd always the most violent street in any city? Just curious?
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:18:14 AM EST
Gary is a sleaze town. but i'd have to say that it's spill-over from chicago. just cross the state line and things are way cheaper, laws are way different, heck, even the people are WAY different. Gary, IN, for all intents and purposed is an extension of Chicago. consequently, it has all the same characteristics of Chicago. indy ranks way down in position 76 and it's bigger than gary with a similar demographic make-up. it's gotta be chicago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:57:44 AM EST
Where did Baltimore rank on the list? It should have been near the top also. I work all over the city and there are less safe places than dangerous ones, even during the day. I hear gun shots several times a month.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:55:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2001 12:53:19 PM EST by LARRYG]
Originally Posted By platform389: Let's see, two examples for a whole day Those were just two I could come up with off the bat. Larry, wait till it gets dark and travel over to Perry Homes, Maddox Park, Bankhead Highway east of the river, Jones Avenue west of the railroad. Been to Greenbriar Mall lately? Dare you to go after dark. For fun, try Hollywood Blvd just about anytime.
View Quote
Been to Hollywood Blvd many times. Used to work there. I have enough sense not to go there or any other of the places you mentioned after dark. Platform, have you been to D.C., L.A., Chicago, or NYC? Compared to those places, Atlanta is very safe. I travel to all those places regularly and you could not pay me to live in any of them. In fact, on a questionaire about tranfers, those places were marked as ABSOLUTELY NOT. It sounds like you are trying to make their case for them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 12:58:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By gus: Where did Baltimore rank on the list? It should have been near the top also. I work all over the city and there are less safe places than dangerous ones, even during the day. I hear gun shots several times a month.
View Quote
Baltimore and Chicago are not on the list because of 'incomplete reporting'.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 4:00:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By ARlady: Gary is a sleaze town. but i'd have to say that it's spill-over from chicago. just cross the state line and things are way cheaper, laws are way different, heck, even the people are WAY different. Gary, IN, for all intents and purposed is an extension of Chicago. consequently, it has all the same characteristics of Chicago. indy ranks way down in position 76 and it's bigger than gary with a similar demographic make-up. it's gotta be chicago.
View Quote
I agree 100% ARlady: I lived there for a while - that is one of the main reasons I joined the IDPA and learned to shoot as if my life depended on it. I was VERY happy to get out of that dump... Tyler
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 5:23:31 PM EST
The S.F. valley is part of L.A. City. Crime rate is very low there which probably dilutes the bad parts. Even then I would go to L.A. anytime versus Comptom. Been to Comptom once, sacred the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 10:32:02 PM EST
wooooo hooooo STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON gary, IN. sounds like my kinda place, i can show off my matching lorcins with pearl grips [:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:02:30 PM EST
A few years ago, in Junior College I did a report on street gangs. While researching, I had a revilation. If we were to eliminate fewer than 20 counties from the whole country, we would have less than half the crime we do today. Just look, get rid of the following: the 5 borougs of NYC Essex and Union counties, NJ Philidelphia county PA Wayne county MI Cook county IL Los Angeles and Alameda counties CA Dade county FL those 13 alone provide the bulk of the nations homocides. Perhaps we need to rethink our crime fighting efforts on a county by county basis? Most of the other counties in the US rank as some of the safest places on the planet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:37:14 PM EST
In Canada, Regina, Saskatchewan. Crime capital again this year! read that in their local rag, The Leader Post. In Australia, I don't reaaly know, but from what is on the news, some Sydney suburbs of Cabramatta, Lakemba, Wiley Park, Fairfield, Glenfield, Claymore, Haymarket. Hubs of Ethnic gang activity. Oh yes, then there is always Redfern, buts thats a government created 'Aboriginie Ghetto', so just normal crime there, but its bad. No Glocks or AKMs there. Blunt instruments, edged wpns, and the odd sawn off rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 11:39:09 PM EST
Whats the most dangerous city in the world? I reckon Jo'Burg in South Africa would get my vote. What do you think is the most dangerous?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 12:02:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By RoyDamnMercer: BTW...why is Martin Luther King Blvd always the most violent street in any city? Just curious?
View Quote
Good question. It's one of the most in my city. USPC40 ------------------------------------------------- [b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url] [b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url] [b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url] [b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:31:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2001 5:28:49 AM EST by Fighting-Illini]
Just for shits n giggles and correct me if I am wrong but in Danville IL, Martin Luther King Blvd intersects Lynch road. I'll meet you at lynch mlk jr. I am not a racist, but I do find that funny edited because you rarely have shits IN giggles
Top Top