Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:21:37 AM EDT
Seems the Aussies have a leg up on US --

""We have a right to know whether there is, within any section of the Islamic community, a preaching of the virtues of terrorism, whether any comfort or harbour is given to terrorism within that community."

www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16370664%255E12377,00.html

Meanwhile, Dr Nelson said, Muslims in Australia who did not want to accept Australian values should "clear off"

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Is "Clear Off" Aussie for F-Off?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Clear Off...=Get the fuck out????????
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Clear OFF mate . Or get cleared off . Sweet
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Anti-Aussie Muslims 'should go'
August 24, 2005

MUSLIMS in Australia who don't want to accept local values should leave the country, Federal Education Minister Brendan Nelson said today.

Muslim schools will have to denounce terrorism as part of an effort to stamp out home-grown extremism, under measures announced yesterday following a meeting between Muslim leaders and Prime Minister John Howard.
Dr Nelson said today he would meet with the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils to discuss programs that ensure students understand Australia's history, culture and values.

He said all Australian schools were required to teach the national values framework, including tolerance, responsibility and understanding, to students.

People who were not prepared to follow these Australian values should "clear off", he said.

"We believe in giving every person a fair go, we don't care where people come from, we don't mind what religion they've got," Dr Nelson said.

Advertisement:
"But what we want them to do is commit to the Australian constitution, Australian rule of law and basically, people who don't want to be Australians, and they don't want to live by Australian values and understand them, well then they can basically clear off."
Treasurer Peter Costello has also raised the prospect of the government asking radical Muslims clerics who put Islamic law above Australian law to leave the country if they are dual citizens.

"There might be other countries where the system of law is more acceptable to them," he said.

"If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option."

Habib slammed

Meanwhile, Dr Nelson will meet with the University of Western Sydney (UWS) vice-chancellor to discuss a controversial address given on campus by former Guantanamo detainee Mamdouh Habib.

Mr Habib, who was released without charge in January this year after being held for more than three years at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, condemned Australia's hardline approach to terrorist suspects.

He reportedly described the US as a "pack of terrorists" during the open-air forum at the university's Bankstown campus on Monday.

Dr Nelson today said that while the forum on war, terrorism and civil liberties had been organised by the UWS Students Association and not the university, he would still seek an explanation from vice-chancellor Janice Reid over Mr Habib's appearance.

"When I saw the report of that ... I immediately got on to the vice-chancellor's office out there at the University of Western Sydney," Dr Nelson said on Southern Cross radio.

"I'm seeing her shortly ... to find out what on earth is going on."

Dr Nelson said he had been informed that the student union had invited Mr Habib to give a lecture to about 100 students assembled at Bankstown, where he "peddled his anti-American view of the world".

"I was reassured that there was no expense involved as far as the taxpayer is concerned," Dr Nelson said.

Under laws introduced into Parliament in March by Dr Nelson, university students will no longer have to join student unions and pay compulsory union fees.

Dr Nelson said he was also concerned by a recent UWS student newspaper editorial which said former hostage in Iraq Douglas Wood was an example of someone living off the fat of dead Iraqis.

"Why should the average student who wants an education be funding all that sort of nonsense?" he said.

"That's where we're coming from."

Dr Nelson said if student services were up to scratch, there would be no problem convincing students to join the union.

"I encourage students to join all of these things – sporting, cultural, political – but under no circumstances should they be forced," he said.

Mr Habib was captured in Pakistan in late 2001 on suspicion of terrorist activities. He claims he was taken to Egypt and tortured between November 2001 and February 2002 before being moved to Guantanamo Bay.

Since his release, Mr Habib has become a regular on the speaking circuit, addressing University of Technology students last month and a rally in March to mark the International Day of Action.

Earlier today, Mr Habib said he was stabbed in an attack by three men near his Sydney home on Monday, but did not need hospital treatment.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Love it!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
"Clear off" is Australian for "Sod off, Swampy"

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow! On the one hand .

And, I can't believe the same people turned in their guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#12]
now if some americans would grow a sack, put some balls in it, and tell the arabs HERE to get the heck out of OUR country, maybe we'd get some stuff done
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow! On the one hand .

What would you say if I told you it was the very same federal government which is making these statements that was responsible for the bans of semi-auto rifles and increased restrictions of handguns in Aust?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! On the one hand .

What would you say if I told you it was the very same federal government which is making these statements that was responsible for the bans of semi-auto rifles and increased restrictions of handguns in Aust?

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of Australia. I saw a bumper sticker in the college parking lot that says:

"Australia is not a Virgin, the Government Fucked it."
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow! On the one hand .

I think the Aussies have a Bill of Revocable Permissions.

Freedom isn't very efficient for handling terrorism, eh mate?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
now if some americans would grow a sack, put some balls in it, and tell the arabs HERE to get the heck out of OUR country, maybe we'd get some stuff done

Classic example of the nitwits on this site.  YAY! to the facist Aussies who remove rights and take away weapons of defense in the same breath.  YAY! to religious discrimination till it happens to YOUR religion.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#18]
DevL, try reading the original media comments a little more closely. The people interviewed weren't calling for blanket deportations of all muslims, only that Australia already has a well established system of law and way of life. If people of certain religious persuasions find that disagreeable and would rather live in a country that bases it's laws and way of life on their religion, they're welcome to relocate to those countries more in line with their preferred way of thinking.

Kind of a "Can't have your sammich and eat it too" argument.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top