Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 12:46:46 PM EDT
I stopped by Big 5 today and saw a really clean 91/59. Blueing looks to be 98% or better, stock is a real clean blonde wood with only one ding to speak of (and minor at that), and all the numbers match.

Price on it is 120 bucks.  Any Mosin owners out there know if this is a good model and price?  I don't know squat about these guns, and neither did the salesperson.  I've heard enough people say that they've got one heck of a kick, and being a carbine, I don't doubt it one bit.  How about accuracy/reliability?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait for the Big 5 sale and the price will drop to 1/2, or so it used to.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The 91/59 is a a 91/30 that has been shortened to make it similiar to the 1938 carbine. The 91/59's and 38 carbines are quite handy and shoot nice but wait til there on sale and ask the clerk to let yu see all of them and highgrade the best one, Check the bore and the sights, sometimes the front sights were soldered on after Vodka pay day ! and are sometimes crooked !
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Now that you have shown interest in old rifles. Get a C&R licence. It allows you to buy 50 year old gun through the mail. Mossins range from 5 for $200 to $600 for one. I just order a 44 from Century. Still in the wraper for $80. I love them. This will be my sixth one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Since we are on the topic of Mosin:

I have a Mosin Nagant 91 (1937 vintage) with correct bolt, scope mount and scope (Moskovy Optic Work with proper markings)  Are there any ways to verify that this is an original sniper rifle?  All marks point to Tula factory.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait for the Big 5 sale and the price will drop to 1/2, or so it used to.  
View Quote

The examples I've seen at Big 5 during these half price sales are usually pretty beat.  No blueing to speak of, shoddy looking bores, cracked/chipped wood and non matching numbers.
The one I saw today looked like about the best I've seen there.

I know I can get some pretty good deals through SGN, but I'm a little weary of spending my cash on something sight unseen.  Since I don't have a C&R license, that 80 dollar deal quickly turns into a 160 dollar expense (or more) by the time you include shipping,FFL fee, tax and DROS fee.  And I'm still taking someone else's word on the condition of the gun.

Are there any particular markings I should look for/avoid?  I'm thinking about picking this one up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#8]
DVDTracker,

Did you bring your Mo-seen to the shoot?  I know you had the Garand there.  I put a Pachmayr slip on butt pad on my M-48 and it made a world of difference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The examples I've seen at Big 5 during these half price sales are usually pretty beat.  No blueing to speak of, shoddy looking bores, cracked/chipped wood and non matching numbers.
The one I saw today looked like about the best I've seen there.
View Quote

I picked up some 91/59s from Big 5 during a winter sale, a few years ago.  The guns were Arsonal used and in excellent condition.

When the sale occurs, that gun will be included.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
DVDTracker,

It's a Pachmayr Medium Recoil Pad for rifles and shotguns, Part No. 20223.

I stumbled across it at WalMart right after they had done inventory and it was reduced to 5 bucks.

The top part is rounded and fits nicely, while the bottom part is pointed and looks kind of funky.  Works well, though, and it definitely was a huge improvement over the steel plate on the end of my Mauser.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
AIM surplus is selling M44`s for 69.00 in wrapper new/Arsenal refinished in cosmo. I get mine next week. With bayo!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since we are on the topic of Mosin:

I have a Mosin Nagant 91 (1937 vintage) with correct bolt, scope mount and scope (Moskovy Optic Work with proper markings)  Are there any ways to verify that this is an original sniper rifle?  All marks point to Tula factory.
View Quote

Go to Mosin-Nagant on the Web http://members.tripod.com/RGR_WJB/index.htm.   RGR_WJB can answer almost any question and seems to be an honest guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top