Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 4:58:17 PM EDT
Man, I'm sorry if this subject has been beaten all to hell.  I lift lower weights at the gym, >850 reps on various machines every other day.  Run 5 miles between lifting days also every other day.  I'm not trying to bulk up, but I do want body tone & endurance.  Fitness gurus:Am I getting this right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is a no brainer I was told to remember  Mass=weight . In other words lift more weight for more mass. Also lift said weight faster and build even more mass. Heavy explosive type lifting target fast-twitch muscle fibers(These have great growth abilities, sizewise.) Slow light high rep lifting promotes slow twitch fibers(little size developement). So match your style of lifting to how you wanna be. Very powerful short bursts i.e. Football, powerlifting, olympic lifting or endurance for sub maximal exertion of long periods, running distance, rowing, soccer, boxing etc. Or cross train to make yourself a jack of all trades sort.  Most bodybuilders use a holistic approach by doing high reps for vascular growth and low reps high weight for fiber growth. This doubles the growth of muscle size. Making them very big very fast. Most look much stronger than they are. So if small and toned is what you want you got it right. You could probably do slightly more weight less reps if you want a swimmer type body instead of a runners body. You know more of a light muscle build intead of a walking beanpole like most runners. Sorry if I offend anyone with that remarkh.gif
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
850 reps sounds like a lot of reps?

I think 20 -  25 reps is about right for high reps low weight so you dont build bulk.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
850 reps sounds like a lot of reps?

I think 20 -  25 reps is about right for high reps low weight so you dont build bulk.

I'm thinking he means the reps of all the exercises he does put together.  At least I hope so...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is my 2 cents worth on this subject:

I would suggest that you do both.  Change up your routine about every 6-8 weeks.  Not only change the exercises and lifts that you do, but change from doing lots of reps with low weights, to low reps with heavier weights.  This way, your body won't get used to doing the same thing over and over.  It will also give you some variety.  I know from personal experience when I was a swimmer, doing lots of reps with low weights can get real boring fast.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would suggest that you do both.  Change up your routine about every 6-8 weeks.  Not only change the exercises and lifts that you do, but change from doing lots of reps with low weights, to low reps with heavier weights.  This way, your body won't get used to doing the same thing over and over.  It will also give you some variety.  I know from personal experience when I was a swimmer, doing lots of reps with low weights can get real boring fast.  

+1

I like to mix it up pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me add one other thing:

Take one of the 6 week sessions and do nothing but exercises/lifts that use the core muscles
These would be:
dips
chins/pullups
deadlift
squats
pushups
situps
You get the idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

FWIW, after 30+ years of lifting I concur
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, after 30+ years of lifting I concur

Why the hell didn't I think of that?  Great idea, fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top