Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 11:00:12 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sunspot.net/news/custom/guns/bal-md.fbi19jun19.story?coll=bal%2Dcrime%2Dheadlines[/url]

FBI shooting revives legal issue
1992 Ruby Ridge standoff left question of immunity for agents unresolved

As prosecutors in Anne Arundel County prepare to ask a grand jury whether an FBI agent who mistakenly shot an unarmed man should be indicted, they face a confusing legal roadmap stemming from one of the most divisive events in recent FBI history - the deadly standoff at Ruby Ridge, Idaho.

A federal appeals court rejected claims that Special Agent Lon T. Horiuchi was immune from state prosecution because he was acting in his official capacity when he killed Vicki Weaver. But the ruling was rendered moot after a new Idaho prosecutor decided last year to throw out the case.

"For all the Sturm und Drang, which took place over almost a decade, very little came of it," former U.S. Solicitor General Seth P. Waxman said yesterday. Waxman argued against Horiuchi standing trial, and he maintains that resolving the issue for future cases is critical.

[red]"Subjecting federal officers to state criminal sanctions for acts that carry out their federally appointed duties would make it impossible for the federal government to function,"[/red] Waxman told law students at the University of Kansas this year.
View Quote

[pissed]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Umm so let me see if my logical skills are intact. Requiring LAW ENFORCEMENT officials to follow, obey, and be subject to punishment under the law for violations would render them unable to perform their duties. If they are law enforcement, and therefore sworn to uphold and defend the law, then why would they fear prosecution? Are their duties then inherently illegal? Could it be that the Feds are just another criminal enterprise? Maybe I am missing something. Any of you FBI f--khead trolls reading this care to comment?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]
[bold]Ira H. Raphaelson, a former U.S. attorney in Chicago and one of the lawyers who represented the attorneys general, said yesterday that federal criminal and civil justice systems are the proper place to review the actions of a federal agent.

"[red]You can't have 50 states determining what is the standard of conduct for federal agents,[/red]" Raphaelson said.[/bold]

It's not as though the Feds can really be trusted in this case, can they?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Cop basher.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
A Maryland jury should have no trouble reading the FBI use of deadly force policy and deciding whether or not SA Christopher Braga was following that policy when he shot Joseph Schultz in the face. If it was a good shoot, then the policy needs to be changed. If it was a bad shoot, Braga needs to lose his job and go to prison, just like you or I would if we violated the use of deadly force provisions of our state of residence.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
[b][size=5]F[/size=5][/b]amous
[b][size=5]B[/size=5][/b]ut
[b][size=5]I[/size=5][/b]ncompetent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top