Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 7:49:06 AM EDT
www.msnbc.com/news/1004302.asp?0cv=CB20

Pakistan court orders acid blinding

Culprit blinded his fiance; sentence could be overturned

MULTAN, Pakistan, Dec. 12 — A Pakistani man has been sentenced to be blinded by acid after a judge found him guilty of doing the same to his former fiancée, court officials said on Friday. Mohammad Sajid carried out an acid attack on Rabia Bibi in June after her parents broke off their engagement and gave her hand to someone else.

THE JUDGE in the anti-terrorism court in Bahawalpur, a town located in central Punjab province, ruled that the convict be given a matching punishment under the Islamic law of “Qisas.”
      The law, enforced in Pakistan during the military rule of General Zia-ul-Haq in 1979, says a culprit should be handed a similar punishment to the crime committed unless pardoned by the victim or the victim’s family.
      Observers say the sentence is unlikely to be carried out because of public outcry and as President Pervez Musharraf is determined to modernize the country.
      “Acid drops will be thrown into his eyes in line with the Islamic laws,” Mohammad Shahid, a court official told Reuters.
      Sajid confessed before the court that he had thrown the acid in the face of Bibi in revenge for her family not keeping its promise, the court official said. The attack blinded and badly mutilated the girl, he added.
      Human rights activists criticized the ruling, which can be appealed against.
      “It is a ruling, but not justice. It is not a punishment, but revenge,” said Rashid Rehman of the private Human Rights Commission of Pakistan said.
      Acid attacks on women are relatively common in rural Pakistan, where harsh feudal and tribal laws are enforced. Women have been victims of such attacks merely for failing to bear a son or for cooking badly.
      Human rights activists say more than 70 incidents of acid attacks have been reported in Punjab since January.
      Strict rulings based on Islamic justice handed out by lower courts in Pakistan are often overturned by higher courts.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they SHOULD blind the motherfucker.  If he threw acid at one of my sister's or my mother's eyes,  he would wish all I did was blind that little bitch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Acid attacks on women are relatively common in rural Pakistan, where harsh feudal and tribal laws are enforced. Women have been victims of such attacks merely for failing to bear a son or for cooking badly.
View Quote

Well, makes me look like a pretty nice guy by comparison I think!
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
These people and their relegion are animalistic. How in the hell can there be laws like written in the first place unless written by a bunch of despots. The only cure for a culture such as this is purification by heating to 5,000 kelvin as in a thermonuclear reaction.

BASTARDS !!!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Eye for an eye,
A tooth for a tooth.

Where have I heard that before?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Eye for an eye,
A tooth for a tooth.

Where have I heard that before?
View Quote

Works for me. Fucker deserves it if you ask me.

The poor woman, OTOH, doesn't. Period.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A Pakistani man has been sentenced to be blinded by acid after a judge found him guilty of doing the same to his former fiancée
View Quote

I dunno...I'm ok with that.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
[sarcasm] BUT, but, but....they are a PEACEFUL people. Do I gotta beat you senseless for you to understand that?[/sarcasm]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top