Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:19 PM EDT
Fox news.

70 miners trapped underground due to a fire. Sounds like they made it to the refuge chamber so they should be good for several days to week plus.

Mining community sure has been hit recently.

SRM
(Mine rescue team member and instructor)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:39:08 PM EDT
Where?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:39:19 PM EDT
Damn.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:40:25 PM EDT
China?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:41:30 PM EDT
damn.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:41:54 PM EDT
South America?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 7:48:07 PM EDT by SRM]
Sorry, in Canada

Refuge chambers are sealed, have a compressed air supply and food and water, and communications. Often, a refuge chamber is a lunch room.

Miners will be turning off all the lights except one or two. They'll make an hourly inspection of the seals.

Sounds like they are in touch with the surface.

News is reporting that the mine rescue teams are fighting the fire. Not a good sign. Mine rescue would be focused on rescuing the miners unless the fire prevents their ingress/egress or is otherwise endangering the miners.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:49:23 PM EDT
Ban tunnel mining. Strip mining is safer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:05 PM EDT
Sen Byrd jumped all over the Mining companies for safety violations.

In the east, we mine coal from coal mines - a very hazardous practice. In the west, we mine coal from vast open pits. It is much safer to mine that way, and the coal is much cleaner burning, since it is a different type than that found in pennsylvania, west virginia, etc.

However, Byrd forced coal burning electricity generating plants to use "scrubbers" to reduce the pollution level in the smoke of the burning coal, and did not chose (If I understand the law he authored correctly) to allow Electrical companies to reduce pollution by burning western coal. Hence, his law favors his state and other eastern coal mining states.

So, Byrd needs to look in the mirror when looking for a person to blame for the tragedies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:57:37 PM EDT
OK it is a potash mine which is good news. Possible fuel sources do not include the rock they are mining.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:57:56 PM EDT
Mining is an assumed risk...

That said, if I was a prayin man, I would ask why did god do that?

But, I'm not - so I hope they have all the best of luck getting out!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:01:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
Sen Byrd jumped all over the Mining companies for safety violations.

In the east, we mine coal from coal mines - a very hazardous practice. In the west, we mine coal from vast open pits. It is much safer to mine that way, and the coal is much cleaner burning, since it is a different type than that found in pennsylvania, west virginia, etc.

Wyo and Colorado have alot of underground coal mines.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:02:00 PM EDT
Not this shit again?!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:07:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Badseed:
Mining is essential for mankind...

Fixed it for you

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:10:24 PM EDT

Wieliczka

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:50 PM EDT

Miners will be turning off all the lights except one or two. They'll make an hourly inspection of the seals.

WTF???
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:12:34 PM EDT
10 to 1 says somebody blames Bush before the week is out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:15:33 PM EDT
I was referring to the seals of the refuge chamber. Your chamber is basically airtight and under positive pressure. A seal allowing CO in is very bad.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:16:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Wieliczka

I'm missing the correlation...mines in Poland v. mines in Canada?

I'm special... help me
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:20:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NimmerMehr:

Wieliczka

I'm missing the correlation...mines in Poland v. mines in Canada?

Weiliczka is a famous Polish salt mine. The miners in Canada are trapped in a salt mine.

SRM

I'm special... help me

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2006 8:28:46 PM EDT by NimmerMehr]
It was more a refernce to praying to God than that mine in Canada. That what I was thinking what I posted that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:31:36 AM EDT
Sounds like good news.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:51:43 AM EDT
according to cnn this morning hey all made it out alive.

seems a certain state in the us could learn a thing or 2 from them canadians.

72 made it out why because they had special rooms where they could go and if need be be fine for up to 36 hours.

the rooms have plenty of oxygen,water and food.

notice that magic 36 hours number had the mine up in west virginia been so equipped they all would have made it out.

sago miners were trapped just over 40 hours i think.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:07:22 AM EDT
I don't know about Sago, but most underground mines have refuge chambers. My guess is that in the Sago mine, the miners were unable to get to the refuge chamber. From what I understand, the miners attempted to build a makeshift refuge chamber.

Apples and oranges.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:35:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SRM:
I don't know about Sago, but most underground mines have refuge chambers. My guess is that in the Sago mine, the miners were unable to get to the refuge chamber. From what I understand, the miners attempted to build a makeshift refuge chamber.

Apples and oranges.

SRM

They do not have rescue chambers in coal mines. That is the problem. The miners have to baricade themselves in using mine curtain and other materials.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:06:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gun-fan:

Apples and oranges.

SRM

They do not have rescue chambers in coal mines. That is the problem. The miners have to baricade themselves in using mine curtain and other materials.

so my question is can they do it in the coal mines. put in these type of chambers or would it be to risky to attempt it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:34:08 PM EDT
Fuckin' Bush and Alito.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gun-fan:

Apples and oranges.

SRM

Maybe not all coal mines, but there are refuge chambers in some coal mines. IIRC the law requires them if a miner can't walk out in an hour. An abandoned heading with barricade material, a compressed airline and a mine phone can be a refuge chamber.

Is it possible to put them in coal mines? Sure, not a problem. Most hard rock mines have one or more.

I am just glad this turned out OK.

SRM
Top Top