Dog Bite Statistics
· There are almost 5 million dog bite victims annually in the U.S.
· That’s about 2% of the entire population.
· 800,000 victims need medical attention.
· 1,000 victims per day need treatment in hospital emergency rooms.
· Between 15 and 20 people die per year.
· Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face.
· Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year.
· $345 million were paid by insurance in 2002.
· An American has a one in 50 chance of being bitten by a dog each year