Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 4:17:37 PM EDT
Found this on another site:

Better news yet, it appears that the Order of the '14 is greater in number than I thought. It seems that folks anticipating midnight on the 13th have purchased all standing inventory from DPMS, of their flash hider with bayo lug. To the tune of 38K of them."
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
that IS encouraging news !!

now.....

hijack alert:

talk to me about the  .338 winmag. I'm left-handed and about to buy my first LH bolt gun to hunt deer here in Alabama and other game in other states.....Just want one LH bolt action gun for now. why would the  .338 out rank the competition ??

much thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The .338 will kill anything on the continent.  It will kill just about eveything in africa.  It is flat shooting.  It hits like a freight train.  Where the .308 makes a good dent in 1" plate, the .338 makes a hole through it,and the tree holding it up.  That's with soft points.  If I was only going to have one bolt rifle, this would be it.  It's a little much for crows.  

So you are left handed huh?  I am too.  I only have one left handed rifle.  It was a chore to teach myself to shoot it.   Before I got it, I shot either right handed, or right handed rifles left handed.  Are you going to buy an off the shelf model, or have one built?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The .338 will kill anything on the continent.  It will kill just about eveything in africa.  It is flat shooting.  It hits like a freight train.  Where the .308 makes a good dent in 1" plate, the .338 makes a hole through it,and the tree holding it up.  That's with soft points.  If I was only going to have one bolt rifle, this would be it.  It's a little much for crows.  

So you are left handed huh?  I am too.  I only have one left handed rifle.  It was a chore to teach myself to shoot it.   Before I got it, I shot either right handed, or right handed rifles left handed.  Are you going to buy an off the shelf model, or have one built?  

Your statement about steel plates is very misleading.

I have shot at 1" steel plate with .308, .300win, and .338 Ultra Mag and ALL of them just left a dent... some dents deeper than others.  The .338 left a huge divot (and a bulge in the back of the plate) but was still no where near punching through.

It all depends on the thickness of the steel... is what I'm sayin.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Off-the-shelf.  I like the Browning's stainless stalker, Savage, Remingtons, etc.

everything you said, I had a feeling was true.  I got it narrowed down to either the 338 or the 300 Weatherby.

The agony !!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got off the phone with DPMS, was trying to order a superlight barrel in pre-ban config .. which they dont offer, only post-ban, guess I will have to get a Bushmaster barrel ... anyway ... the above news is "news" to him ... according to him, no such event has taken place. they have plenty of barrels, uppers and rifles .... but he is ready to take sales orders!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your statement about steel plates is very misleading.

I have shot at 1" steel plate with .308, .300win, and .338 Ultra Mag and ALL of them just left a dent... some dents deeper than others.  The .338 left a huge divot (and a bulge in the back of the plate) but was still no where near punching through.

It all depends on the thickness of the steel... is what I'm sayin.

It depends on the grade of steel.  I was using a hunk of A36 I got from work.  Different grades of steel  act differently.  The .338 will not penetrate cold rolled or T1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top