Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2003 7:18:04 PM EDT
I found this posted on another site.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12472[/img]

Boy, this along with their solid RKBA stance sure makes me want to run right out and buy one. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone is posting NLETS/NCIC teletypes on the internet?.....Alrighty then, this could prove interesting.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
How common is this KB thing with Glock?  I've seen a little information before on this, but never have cared for Glocks.  My friend has a baby Glock .45, a deal he made in trade even though he always "hated" Glocks.  How likely is this with the baby 45s?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea,  3 Glocks just blew up...What are the odds?  I smell a rat.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I read about that one already...
Seems when a round is chambered completely in a glock. part of the rim is left exposed. Meaning even high-end brass will rupture when theres dirt-buildup in the barrel to increase pressure buildup.
Probably just dirty guns at the range.

edit- remember reading: glock had a partial recall where only LEO's would get the problem fixed for em.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
the problem is with the ammo discribed in the letter. Federal Hydrashock has been doing this to Glocks for along time now. Federal had a recall of some of it's hgdrashock ammo in 40S&W for pressure problems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Someone is posting NLETS/NCIC teletypes on the internet?.....Alrighty then, this could prove interesting.

View Quote
No header numbers, hence no way for anyone to get jamed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Happens with 40 smith as the chamber is not fully supported.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
No header numbers, hence no way for anyone to get jamed.
View Quote

Cool, I was just told the same by the comms supervisor here at work...shhhhh.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my first fully supported 40S&W last weekend. Got a Sig Pro 2340. I have 2 glocks in 40S&W (model 22 & 27) both I shoot my reloads and without any problems
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the problem is with the ammo discribed in the letter. Federal Hydrashock has been doing this to Glocks for along time now. Federal had a recall of some of it's hydrashock ammo in 40S&W for pressure problems.
View Quote

No no, it said "Hi-Shok", must be some kinda new LEO only ammo.[;D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its pretty much limited to .40 cals, I would trust any other caliber of Gluck.

Very high chamber pressure cartridge + unsupported chamber =

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=6557[/url]

I think I'll keep my USP .45 thank you.
View Quote

Duke, the glock KB'd in your pic appears to be a model 21, a .45.  Didn't The_Beer_Slayer have his model 30 KB also ?
I have read stories of KB's with just about every glock model.
Like you, I think I'll just stick with the good stuff....HK !!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive been told the KBs are rare in the 9mm models...which would be cool if it wasnt for the current frame rail seperations and extractions problems they've been experiencing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock screwed up with the .40's. They should have never put such a high pressure round in a weapon system designed for 9mm. SHOW ME ONE 9mm KB THAT IS THE GUNS FAULT. Or ever a .45 or a 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have owned Glocks since 1990 and I have never had any problems, jams, or malfunctions of any kind. They are the most reliable pistol I have ever owned.
I agree with several members on the board.

1. Someone is posting LEO transmitted info on the net.
Yea sure, if this is legit the person responsible needs fired.

2. Three Glocks blowing up the same day at the range.
Okay were is the Rat or Saboteur?

3. Federal Hydra Shoks are the only ammo I have used for years in my pistols.
Never had a problem with the ammo either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glock screwed up with the .40's. They should have never put such a high pressure round in a weapon system designed for 9mm. SHOW ME ONE 9mm KB THAT IS THE GUNS FAULT. Or ever a .45 or a 10mm.
View Quote
ill agree with you on that one pretty much all glock did was slap a 40 S&W barrel on there 9mm frame and added a stonger recoil spring
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's not limited to .40, .45 acp Glocks are prone to KB's too.  I think the safest models are the old 17 and 19's in 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No, it's not limited to .40, .45 acp Glocks are prone to KB's too.  I think the safest models are the old 17 and 19's in 9mm.
View Quote

What about the ejection jams the 9mms are supposed to be suffering?

And how come the gun is out on the market for more than a decade before this wierd stuff happens?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
It amazes me that people seem to think that because "I've never had a problem" that that means that a problem with a particular design does NOT exist. Just because some guy drives drunk once a week and "never had a problem" does [b]NOT[/b] mean that driving drunk is safe and that there is no problem with it.

That being said, if you like Glocks, and you worry about them blowing up, buy an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber. That should fix [i]part[/i] of the problem. It might also help with getting around the whole balistic fingerprinting thing.

As for them being able to fire out of battery, well, that's just scary.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
My brother had one of the first 10mm Glocks.  It blew up on him.  Well, actually his wife (at the time).  That was when Glock was Glock.  They sent him a new G17 as a replacement.  I have one of the new frame style 19's, I remember there was/is a recall and I never got the phone number to check if mine was one that needed attention.  If anyone has it or a link to get it, please let me know.

TS
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]
3 Glocks being used by different officers who probably got them from different sources and made at different times. They all blow up and were using the same ammo form the same lot. Problem is obvious. Bad ammo. This is not a Glock problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Problem is obvious. Bad ammo. This is not a Glock problem.
View Quote

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that.

There's plenty on anecdotes about the Glock in .40 going KB.  Glock fans will say "It's crummy ammo!  Hot ammo!  Reloaded ammo!"  Aside from the fact that you'd want to own a gun that could reliably handle those varieties of ammo, some KB's came from factory fresh standard loads.  It's the ol' unsupported chamber problem, it seems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#23]
well my question is why does Glock use an un-supported bbl in the 40 cals?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:27:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
well my question is why does Glock use an un-supported bbl in the 40 cals?
View Quote

That's the "New Glock".

TS
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure why Glock owners always get their panties in a bunch when things like this are posted.  Glock KB's are well documented.  They happen.  

If the gun that I put my life on blew up on a fairly regular basis I would acknowledge the problem and then buy something else.

This is why I buy 1911's.  They're tough as [b]steel[/b][:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the problem is with the ammo discribed in the letter. Federal Hydrashock has been doing this to Glocks for along time now. Federal had a recall of some of it's hgdrashock ammo in 40S&W for pressure problems.
View Quote

Yeah, i've heard of previous lots being recalled for this reason as well.

Does anyone know which lot numbers as I have a Glock 27 (.40S&W) and I use Hydrashocks as my self defense ammo.

Any info or leads would be appreciated, TIA!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]
More info...

[url]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-dir.html[/url]

[url]http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-gupgrade.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very high chamber pressure cartridge + unsupported chamber =

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=6557[/url]

I think I'll keep my USP .45 thank you.
View Quote

Duke, the glock KB'd in your pic appears to be a model 21, a .45.  Didn't The_Beer_Slayer have his model 30 KB also ?
I have read stories of KB's with just about every glock model.
Like you, I think I'll just stick with the good stuff....HK !!
View Quote

I have to admit i'm partial to my USP & 1911 but I kinda like my G27 as well....

This isn't a problem with their 9mm's from what I understand just the .40 mostly, the .45 and 10mm.

Here are some links with more info:
[url=http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/glock/gz-glock-kb.html]Glock kB! FAQ v1.23[/url]

[url=http://greent.com/40Page/general/kb.htm].40S&W kB! Report by Dean Speir[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#29]
gents the ammo listed in the case is the 155gr Hi-Shok, NOT the problematic 180 gr Hydrashock.  The issue with the 180s was 2 fold, OAL lenght being too long, and the unsupported chamber, and yes Federal recalled that ammo nearly 6 years ago.  In this case, they were department issue weapons,and with this 155 gr load its nothing more that 9mm with a little more "oomph"  The gun is the issue here not the ammo.  BTW this was posted on the SIGforum, and I believe Glocktalk as well
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
gents the ammo listed in the case is the 155gr Hi-Shok, NOT the problematic 180 gr Hydrashock.  The issue with the 180s was 2 fold, OAL lenght being too long, and the unsupported chamber, and yes Federal recalled that ammo nearly 6 years ago.  In this case, they were department issue weapons,and with this 155 gr load its nothing more that 9mm with a little more "oomph"  The gun is the issue here not the ammo.  BTW this was posted on the SIGforum, and I believe Glocktalk as well
View Quote

Hmmm, good point!

I'm familiar with the 180's problems and plan to avoid using 180's when I start reloading for the 40.

Interesting that these guns had problems with the 155's...

Now I have noticed that the American Eagle 155 is a bit hotter than the 180 but still the guns should be able to handle it. Considering the problem Federal had in the past i'm sure they are much more careful now.

I have been considering purchasing either a HK USP or P2000 in 40 as a second 40 gun.. I guess i'll stick with those plans.

I've also heard that some of the aftermarket barrels solve the problem with the unsupported chamber but I was told by my gunsmith that wouldn't be the case as the ramp (where its unsupported) is cut the same or there would be feeding problems. Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
So what's the deal with the .357sig ???

I've got a Glock 32, is it 'gonna blow up on me ?

(For those not familiar with the G32, it's identical to the G19 but in .357sig.)

It's a screamin little bitch.

If anything I'd think the .357 would be more prone to failure than the .40...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Whoa, beat me to it!

"Hydra Shok" and "Hi-Shok" are two distinct ammo lines.  "Hi-Shok" is a your standard JHP hi-po ammo.  "Hydra Shok" is the JHP round with the post in the cavity, and I think it's loaded a little hotter as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So what's the deal with the .357sig ???

I've got a Glock 32, is it 'gonna blow up on me ?

(For those not familiar with the G32, it's identical to the G19 but in .357sig.)
View Quote

Heheh.  I like how Glock stamps ".357 AUTO" on their guns chambered for that round.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Allegedly the problem with Glock 40’s is the unsupported chamber [b]and[/b] a somewhat oversized chamber.

Aftermarket barrels reduce the chamber size, which probably reduces the likelihood of a KB - but they also can make the pistol less reliable.  It cost me $150 (for an aftermarket Glock barrel) to learn this!!  [>Q]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
3 Glocks being used by different officers who probably got them from different sources and made at different times. They all blow up and were using the same ammo form the same lot. Problem is obvious. [red]Bad ammo. This is not a Glock problem.[/red]
View Quote

Then why is it that other brands of pistols seem to shoot the same ammo without going boom boom ??
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#36]
[b]Then why is it that other brands of pistols seem to shoot the same ammo without going boom boom ??[/b]

you are hereby ordered to cease and desist from using logic in your arguements!!!!!

ask board member "waldo" about his glock kaboom and his dealings with the glock company. iirc, it was a 9mm.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ask board member "waldo" about his glock kaboom and his dealings with the glock company. iirc, it was a 9mm.
View Quote

No, it was a Mod 22.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The thing that has me curious is whats in the teletype, 3 going in one day.

HELLO? Glock one goes BOOM.  Hmm...this could be bad, we should look into this.  BOOM, #2 goes...Maybe we should stop shooting and REALLY look into this, but nooooo...BOOM #3...

WTF??
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a good question, why do so many Glock lovers live in such a world of denial???  Hell, they're worse than the HK snobs.

Hey, I love HKs and all, but I'd be the first to bitch about any shortcoming I witnessed.  And if an inordinate amount of USP or P7 owners started having KB's with factory (hell, even reloads for that matter) ammo, I'd start asking some big questions.  Hell, I used to own a G22, it was a good gun, just not for me.  But with all the reported KBs, I'm kind of glad that I sold it a long time ago.

Every time someone tells about a Glock KB, I hear: "It's bad lot of ammo," "The guy must have been using reloads (as if that should really matter)," "It must be a lie/sabotage/gov't conspiracy/alien invasion," etc...

I RARELY go over to GLOCKTALK, but the few times I did, I thought I was in an alternate universe.  Every thread about someone using a 1911, HK, Sig, Beretta, etc... had ten replies asking: "why wasn't the guy/dept using a Glock," "they must like clearing jams," etc...

I swear, if someone posted an 'AR15 vs. Glock 17', or an 'AT4 vs. Glock 21 against a T-72' thread over there, I think the Glocks might get a majority of the votes...

BTW, not all Glock lovers or GT members are so fanatical, but the ones that are make it entertaining to read some of the threads over there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not sure why Glock owners always get their panties in a bunch when things like this are posted.  Glock KB's are well documented.  They happen.  

If the gun that I put my life on blew up on a fairly regular basis I would acknowledge the problem and then buy something else.

This is why I buy 1911's.  They're tough as [b]steel[/b][:)]
View Quote

I have pics that were from this site of two different SA stainless STEEL 1911 with slides in two pieces.  You might as well get rid of your 1911's now and buy something else.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a good question, why do so many Glock lovers live in such a world of denial???
View Quote

The main thing that Glocks have going for them is that they're supposedly indestructable. Take that away, and they're just a run-of-the-mill cheap plastic pistol (with a neat trigger).
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
You gotta like your "neat trigger" line.

I prefer, "It feels like it's going to break".

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#44]
I HATE GLOCKB'S ALL OF THEM

I QUOTE:
"GLOCKB'S ARE LIKE ASS HOLE'S, EVERY ONE HAS ONE, AND THEY ALL STINK" (saw it on a gun bord don't know who said it)

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
with a neat trigger
View Quote

Very neat, similar to a dart gun I owned in my youth, except lighter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You gotta like your "neat trigger" line.

I prefer, "It feels like it's going to break".

View Quote

UGH, I agree!

One of my biggest complaints about my Glock was the hideous trigger.  Poor placement of the controls and plastic sights being a close second and third...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Allegedly the problem with Glock 40’s is the unsupported chamber [b]and[/b] a somewhat oversized chamber.

Aftermarket barrels reduce the chamber size, which probably reduces the likelihood of a KB - but they also can make the pistol less reliable.  It cost me $150 (for an aftermarket Glock barrel) to learn this!!  [>Q]
View Quote

This thread sent me scurrying off to find a new barrel...Which one did you go for>?

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Can someone please post pics of an unsupported glock barrel and a fully supported barrel from some other manufacturer?  Or at least explain the difference to me?  I took the barrel out of my G27 and dropped a round in it just to see if I could tell what everyone is talking about but I still don't understand.  Please don't beat me for being so stupid on this matter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can someone please post pics of an unsupported glock barrel and a fully supported barrel from some other manufacturer?  Or at least explain the difference to me?  I took the barrel out of my G27 and dropped a round in it just to see if I could tell what everyone is talking about but I still don't understand.  Please don't beat me for being so stupid on this matter.
View Quote

Take the barrel, put it muzzle down on a flat surface. Insert a round into the chamber. Look where the "feed ramp" is. A part of the side of the brass cartidge will be visible. (not the back, or bas of the round, the side). That is the unsuported part.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top